Why become a member? ×

Thinking of trying a new amp (micro/small amp) - From MB to?

Musicman20

Hi

I already have the RH450 from TC and an Orange AD200b for large gigs. So I have a lot of gigs covered already.

I also have a MB LM3, which is a great amp, but all my amps have a very similar warm/tube like more old school orientated tone. Now thats not a bad thing, as I like it, BUT, Im tempted to try something else and move on the LM3.

I tried the MB F1/500 and I just didnt seem to get on with it like I did the LM3.

My other options are to stray into higher power amps with other manufacturers, eg a GB Shuttle 9.0, but it would REALLY have to be able to do modern as well as a nice grindy rock tone (but be bright and aggressive). I had to send my last one back straight away due to a small problem but I went with the RH450 after this.

Id like an aux in/headphones/mute and the ability to play the music through the speaker.

The Orange and TC are going nowhere!

Another option would be a GK or Ibanez Promethean.

Ideas?

They dont have to be the smallest/lightest amp in the world, just a great and different tone to what I have. In the end I bet ill end up realising the MB is doing a great job, but thats GAS.

Try the GK MB2-500 out... But it does sound like you have GAS just for the sake of it since you can get bright/modern tones out of the TC and MB anyway. I know what it's like though, I think I'm finally learning how to resist the GAS. I change my mind every couple of days about what I want anyway so I may as well stick with what I've got and spend more time improving my playing instead of drooling over new gear!

It might be worth having a look for a Eden WTX 260 or 500. I have the WTX260 and it is a fantastic amp, big sound plenty of volume for most band situations, plenty of tone shaping with a real clean modern tone to it. It also has L/R Aux in and phones out which is fantatsic for silent practicing, as well as tuner out and mute button.

I love mine, it can do sparkling top end when I need it to or bid dub bass and most things in between and the best thing of all is that it weighs about 3lbs and goes in my gig bag. I love it and am actually thinking about going up to the 500w version if the 8 piece band i play with starts doing bigger gigs, they are so loud!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='906637' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:39 AM']Try the GK MB2-500 out... But it does sound like you have GAS just for the sake of it since you can get bright/modern tones out of the TC and MB anyway. I know what it's like though, I think I'm finally learning how to resist the GAS. I change my mind every couple of days about what I want anyway so I may as well stick with what I've got and spend more time improving my playing instead of drooling over new gear![/quote]
This man speaketh the truth :)

Have been very happy with the GK - does a lovely job with my 4-Ohm EBS 4x10, and I can get the full 500w out of it if I give it the beans. I'd certainly audition it alongside heads of a similar price-point (around the 500-600 quid mark). I was really surprised with the head - how can something that small give me an awesome amount of volume?

Well, let us know how you get on

HTH, Ian

Going on description alone I think the GK MB500 (they've dropped the 2 from the name now) is probably a good starting point. The Ibanez Promethean is supposedly quite Markbass sounding so maybe too like what you've already tried.

If you decide to sell off your LMIII give us a shout - I'm on the lookout for one myself.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='906741' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:08 AM']Going on description alone I think the GK MB500 (they've dropped the 2 from the name now) is probably a good starting point. The Ibanez Promethean is supposedly quite Markbass sounding so maybe too like what you've already tried.

If you decide to sell off your LMIII give us a shout - I'm on the lookout for one myself.[/quote]

I've tried the Promethean and by all your comments, it's seem the way to go or the shuttle (but I know less about this one)... The orange is tubey, the MB LM is warm so the next step would be more towards the HI-FI...

The Ibanez is more Hi-Fi. the mark tube sounds like bad mix of MB trying to sound like an orange... ;-(

It's a shame SWR, EDEN or EBS don't do a micro amp.. I think that would open up the other end of the amp spectrum. I've played the Redhead combo and it's great.. a mirco redhead would be awesome

[quote name='algmusic' post='906822' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:06 AM']I've tried the Promethean and by all your comments, it's seem the way to go or the shuttle (but I know less about this one)... The orange is tubey, the MB LM is warm so the next step would be more towards the HI-FI...

The Ibanez is more Hi-Fi. the mark tube sounds like bad mix of MB trying to sound like an orange... ;-(

It's a shame SWR, EDEN or EBS don't do a micro amp.. I think that would open up the other end of the amp spectrum. I've played the Redhead combo and it's great.. a mirco redhead would be awesome[/quote]

SWR and EDEN do. SWR do the microlite thingy. Eden get close to the size of the MB LM too with the WTX series (i think that's what they're called). EBS don't so far.

[quote name='algmusic' post='906822' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:06 AM']I've tried the Promethean and by all your comments, it's seem the way to go or the shuttle (but I know less about this one)... The orange is tubey, the MB LM is warm so the next step would be more towards the HI-FI...

It's a shame SWR, EDEN or EBS don't do a micro amp.. I think that would open up the other end of the amp spectrum. I've played the Redhead combo and it's great.. a mirco redhead would be awesome[/quote]

I've gone from a LM to a Promethean and I'm very happy, it's familiar yet different, sounds similar to the LM to my ear, bit more organic than the Shuttles, probably a nice halfway between the Shuttles and the LM.
The build quality is awesome too, dare I say it, better than the MarkBass kit...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Bigwan' post='906857' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:27 AM']SWR and EDEN do. SWR do the microlite thingy. Eden get close to the size of the MB LM too with the WTX series (i think that's what they're called). EBS don't so far.[/quote]

oooh. Has anyone tried it

[quote name='whynot' post='906442' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:55 PM']Have you tried a Little Mark Tube ?
I have the 500w version and loving it at the moment. Does clean like a standard LM but dial in a little tube front end and it really starts to kick.[/quote]

Hi

Thanks, yep I tried one out. I do like them and the extras features but If I do sell the LM3 Id probably go for a different manufacturer.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='906637' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:39 AM']Try the GK MB2-500 out... But it does sound like you have GAS just for the sake of it since you can get bright/modern tones out of the TC and MB anyway. I know what it's like though, I think I'm finally learning how to resist the GAS. I change my mind every couple of days about what I want anyway so I may as well stick with what I've got and spend more time improving my playing instead of drooling over new gear![/quote]

I need to resist GAS! This LM3 is absolutely brilliant. So I should probably settle. Ill use it on Weds n Thurs and see if I change my mind. I know its a fantastic amp and the main thing I want to keep it for is how amazing they sound with Musicman basses. I have two coming in and after previous experience Markbass and Musicman go hand in hand (and thats pretty obviously planned due to their history).

[quote name='NJE' post='906676' date='Jul 27 2010, 08:49 AM']It might be worth having a look for a Eden WTX 260 or 500. I have the WTX260 and it is a fantastic amp, big sound plenty of volume for most band situations, plenty of tone shaping with a real clean modern tone to it. It also has L/R Aux in and phones out which is fantatsic for silent practicing, as well as tuner out and mute button.

I love mine, it can do sparkling top end when I need it to or bid dub bass and most things in between and the best thing of all is that it weighs about 3lbs and goes in my gig bag. I love it and am actually thinking about going up to the 500w version if the 8 piece band i play with starts doing bigger gigs, they are so loud![/quote]

Thanks! Ill look into it.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='906741' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:08 AM']Going on description alone I think the GK MB500 (they've dropped the 2 from the name now) is probably a good starting point. The Ibanez Promethean is supposedly quite Markbass sounding so maybe too like what you've already tried.

If you decide to sell off your LMIII give us a shout - I'm on the lookout for one myself.[/quote]

Cheers, got the PM. Ill PM you back, but as youll probably read before this, Im still on the fence so to speak.

Ampeg SVT Micro rig?
Some great tonal possibilities, really does the SVT sound too and weighs nowt!
200watts using two cabs and has all the ins outs etc you mentioned (headphone out, aux in etc). No mute switch though.
Definately the best small rig I have owned or used.

[quote name='basshead56' post='907413' date='Jul 27 2010, 06:11 PM']Ampeg SVT Micro rig?
Some great tonal possibilities, really does the SVT sound too and weighs nowt!
200watts using two cabs and has all the ins outs etc you mentioned (headphone out, aux in etc). No mute switch though.
Definately the best small rig I have owned or used.[/quote]

I thought about one of these a while back, but the Ampeg tone is very much a part of the RH450. Thanks anyway!