Why become a member? ×

Gaps under the frets. Should i be worried?

dave_bass5

Ive just got a new MIA jazz and it plays really well.Everything about it seems spot on.
The only issue i can find is a few of the upper frets have a slight gap underneath them.

They dont seem raised as im not getting any fret buzz.

Should i be worried? Im inclined to just live with it as its not affecting playability and i could end up with a bass thats got more faults.

Cheers.

Sorry Dave but that really sounds like bad QC. They were obviously not seated properly and its probably pure luck the bass doesn't buzz like hell. I would take photos and send these to the retailer if only to alert them (I presume you could return the bass if necessary under the usual consumer rights?) One potential trouble is, if you decide this bass is not for you, then you may have difficulty selling on an imperfect bass without taking a large hit.

If it were me, hassle though it is, I would send it back and get a replacement, asking the retailer to check over the new bass very carefully before dispatching to you.

Edit: its probably relatively easy for the Bass Gallery (which I know is not too far from you) to fix this but it would cost and you shouldn't have to bear any extra cost here

Edited by Clarky

Cheers Clarky.

Yeah poor QC no doubt. I still dont think it will affect playability though but who knows what might happen a few months down the line.
It looks to me like the grooves are cut too deep rather than the frets sitting proud.
I think i will email the pics to the retailer and see what they say. I think they will be cool about me swapping it over but i know they dont have any in stock.

These are the offending frets (only 2)

[attachment=54843:Thu_22_J...010_2088.jpg]

[attachment=54844:Thu_22_J...010_2087.jpg]

Edited by dave_bass5

It's just that the slots were cut too deep for the fret; a not uncommon problem on a mass produced instrument.

If you like the bass, it plays well, and the frets are seated properly, I'd just fill the holes (or ask the seller to do it for you at no cost to you) and forget about it...

Aha (said Alan Partridge). I misunderstood your OP and assumed you could see daylight between the frets and the board! The pics actually don't look so bad. The frets are seated properly and its just the holes, as walbassist, said that are drilled a little too deep. Tougher call that - probably easier to keep the bass, if it plays well, although if you can get the retiler to pay the Gallery to put a little filler in each gap to tidy it up it would be the best result.

[quote name='walbassist' post='902444' date='Jul 22 2010, 10:30 PM']It's just that the slots were cut too deep for the fret; a not uncommon problem on a mass produced instrument.

If you like the bass, it plays well, and the frets are seated properly, I'd just fill the holes (or ask the seller to do it for you at no cost to you) and forget about it...[/quote]

Yeah, im inclined to go this route. I did get it on line so it would involve me sending it back (at their cost of course) to be rectified.

If it doesn't cause a playability issue im probably happy to live with it but i have emailed the retailer with the pics and ill see what they say. They are a great company to deal with though so i dont see any real problems if i wanted to send it back.

[quote name='Clarky' post='902453' date='Jul 22 2010, 10:35 PM']Aha (said Alan Partridge). I misunderstood your OP and assumed you could see daylight between the frets and the board! The pics actually don't look so bad. The frets are seated properly and its just the holes, as walbassist, said that are drilled a little too deep. Tougher call that - probably easier to keep the bass, if it plays well, although if you can get the retiler to pay the Gallery to put a little filler in each gap to tidy it up it would be the best result.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry i should have posted the pics to start with.

Im might try and get a discount off the cost, that would then go towards getting the Gallery to fix it i guess.

I'll let you know what they say tomorrow. Ive emailed the MD of the company as he has been helping me out with the order so im sure ill get a good result.
End of the day, it plays so well i really dont want to risk getting one that has different issues.

Dave Ive checked on this issue before, both rosewood AND maple boards.

Ive seen it on Fenders of all ages, and as you can see on your bass, its actually just the filler at that end that isnt 'as full' as the other ones.

As much as I moan about QC, Ive seen this on a hell of a lot of basses (even non-Fender) and I came to conclusion as long as the neck feels great and the frets are level and smooth, then Im ok with it. Its one thing I wont actually get too beat up about as its literally just a case of not as much filler at the bottom of the fret.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='902563' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:36 PM']Dave Ive checked on this issue before, both rosewood AND maple boards.

Ive seen it on Fenders of all ages, and as you can see on your bass, its actually just the filler at that end that isnt 'as full' as the other ones.

As much as I moan about QC, Ive seen this on a hell of a lot of basses (even non-Fender) and I came to conclusion as long as the neck feels great and the frets are level and smooth, then Im ok with it. Its one thing I wont actually get too beat up about as its literally just a case of not as much filler at the bottom of the fret.[/quote]

Cheers Gareth.
yes, its a minor issue and while ill see if i can get something out of the retailer ill not be sending it back.

The main reason i started this thread was to see how common it was. I almost got a Sandberg a few years ago but it had loads of frets with gaps. I was told the neck was a bit twisted. I was just worried that this might be the cause of my problem but the neck looks fine.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='902573' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:43 PM']Cheers Gareth.
yes, its a minor issue and while ill see if i can get something out of the retailer ill not be sending it back.

The main reason i started this thread was to see how common it was. I almost got a Sandberg a few years ago but it had loads of frets with gaps. I was told the neck was a bit twisted. I was just worried that this might be the cause of my problem but the neck looks fine.[/quote]

Ah yes, I agree, always best to check. Its definitely one of the minor gripes Ive seen.If you notice the length of the other frets, they are all even, and the slight 'filler' is not as packed on that fret.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='902583' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:49 PM']Ah yes, I agree, always best to check. Its definitely one of the minor gripes Ive seen.If you notice the length of the other frets, they are all even, and the slight 'filler' is not as packed on that fret.[/quote]

Yeah, and i took a straight edge to them and they are all level.

I wonder how hard it will be to fill the gaps. Probably not worth me messing with it just yet though.

Edited by dave_bass5

I would find this depressing... why can't they just sort this at the factory before to comes out? Not sure I like the sound of their supposed QC.
It looks a 5 minute job to fill and how hard can it be with a machine not to cut too deep in the first place.

[quote name='Clarky' post='902816' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:01 AM']Fret gaps apart (which should be a quick fix) is this what you had hoped it to be Dave? I know you have been searching for the right bass since you sold me that P5 a year ago ... and I hope this is the one![/quote]

Well to be honest its better than i hoped for so for now im very happy. But we all know what this means ;-)

Im glad i got the 3TSB now, ive always stuck to pretty boring looking basses so the Black one going back was a good thing. The Maple seems fine. The tone seems a bit clearer at home through the system ive been using for a couple of years so im happy with that. Using the Sadowsky helps gets a bit more roundness and warmth so im confident i made the right choice going back to a Jazz. This will cover all my needs........for now.

A month ago i was over the moon with the Squier and never thought i would need to buy anything that costs this much, and then last week the GAS hit. Its a bugger.

The black pickguard just turned up so once thats on tonight ill post some pics.

Oh, and i tested out my theory that the GF never notices when i get a new bass. I sat down on the couch next to her last night and waited. Remember ive not had one this colour before, the last few being black, red and white. She looked at it and just said "ive not seen you play that one for a while, can you sit on the other couch" ....result. Next ill try and double bass lol.