Why become a member? ×

Fingering suggestions please...

thinman

Say you were playing something that goes across the strings, i.e. same fret, what would be the recommended fingering? E.g. if the following tab makes any sense how would it be best played :

[font="Courier New"]
|---------------------------------------
|------------------------7--------------
|---------------------7----7------------
|---------------5--7--------------------
[/font]

Across three strings I would play all the notes at the 7th fret with the same finger (probably the 3rd finger), in a kind of combination barre/rolling motion. If it was like this:
|---------------5-----------------------

I would play the 5th fret with my first and the 7th fret with my 3rd and 4th fingers on different strings.

If I was playing this quite quickly,I'd either play the low A with my first finger,the B with my third finger and
the E,A and E with my little finger,or I'd use first finger on A and the little finger rolling over the rest of the notes.
I very rarely barre,and prefer to fret each note.

[quote name='thinman' post='899307' date='Jul 19 2010, 07:30 PM']Say you were playing something that goes across the strings, i.e. same fret, what would be the recommended fingering? E.g. if the following tab makes any sense how would it be best played :
string with

[font="Courier New"]
[/font][/quote]

If I've read this right, I'd play A with my first finger, B with my fourth finger, the E on the A with my third finger, the A octave with my 4th finger & drop back to the E with my third finger.

[quote name='thinman' post='899307' date='Jul 19 2010, 07:30 PM']Say you were playing something that goes across the strings, i.e. same fret, what would be the recommended fingering? E.g. if the following tab makes any sense how would it be best played :

[font="Courier New"]
[/font][/quote]
I might be tempted to play it like this using index finger only

[font="Courier New"]
|------------------------2--------------
|----------------------2---2------------
|---------------0--2--------------------
|----------------------------------------
[/font]

It would depend partly on where I was coming from and going to.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='900289' date='Jul 20 2010, 05:36 PM']I might be tempted to play it like this using index finger only

[font="Courier New"]
|------------------------2--------------
|----------------------2---2------------
|---------------0--2--------------------
|----------------------------------------
[/font]

It would depend partly on where I was coming from and going to.[/quote]

Like the thinking there, and is probably what I would do to avoid finger knitting. But as you say, depends on where you come from and where you are going. And then of course you'll get the variance in tone argument.

I don't think, that there's 'One and the Only' answer..

When I got this question to myself, I searched, how famous bassists approached playing 4ths, and I found all them saying something like - 'it depends on situation, I don't think about it, when I play'..

The only solution, IMHO, is practicing a lot - your hands will guide you.
My advice - get a copy of Hanon Virtuoso Pianist book, take a few exercises that look most uncomfortable to you (there are a few of exercises with intervals of 4th..), and practice it to death, everyday. Your hands will guide you, once again..

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='899372' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:34 PM']Across three strings I would play all the notes at the 7th fret with the same finger (probably the 3rd finger), in a kind of combination barre/rolling motion. If it was like this:
|---------------5-----------------------

I would play the 5th fret with my first and the 7th fret with my 3rd and 4th fingers on different strings.[/quote]

I must admit that I tend to play it like this as (for perhaps no good reason) I avoid moving my hand up and down the kneck and try to use all my fingers instead. I wouldn't play it all with my first finger (not saying it's wrong!). Moving it to where it can be played open-stringed is clever but I only gave it as starting at the 5th as an example.

Maybe I should have the courage of my convictions and accept what I do instead of worry that there must be a "conventional" way that I don't know.

I envy those players that play a flurry of notes without barely moving!

I've been doing a lot of triad practice recently. The one I find most difficult is the major triad, e.g.

[code]-------------------------------------------------------------
------------------7-----------------------------------------
-------------4-7----7-4-------------------------------------
-----------5------------5---repeat ad infinitum-----------[/code]

For the major triad, I use my pinky to fret the 5th and the high octave. I find it difficult and clumsy, particularly since I have a bad habit of not fretting with my pinky vertically down onto the fretboard, but with the pinky at an angle so that the pad of the finger is fretting, not the tip. Sort of a semi-barre, but only one string. But, even though I have lots to work on and improve, it's currently looking promising for me that I'll sort that, and I'm starting to be able to play such triads faster, more smoothly, and in a more natural fashion. I.e. that it's starting to work for me.

Is it a bad habit to use the fretting hand pinky for too many notes? Should I adopt, what I see as, a shortcut or different technique to not use the pinky like that? Would people advise me to avoid the same fret pinky use method?

• 6 months later...

[quote name='thinman' post='899307' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:30 PM'][font="Courier New"]
[/font][/quote][font="Courier New"]
Interesting poser, thinman...
On a fretless bass guitar I choose a 2E fingering form as follows:
E5.... index
E7.... ring
A7.... ring
D7.... ring

Otherwise intonation suffers - especially if this is to be used as a repetitive riff...
I tried sliding the index along the E string and then barring the 7th fret with it but i broke into a sweat...
The above fingering maintains the OFPF position for Bass Guitar fingering (Simandl is another animal...)
Trying to stop each note with different fingers, like a guitar chord, twists my wrist and may invite RSI...
Normally, when practicing fourths in the major scale I would use the pinky...
I'd need to know the rhythm figure to be sure...

Another option would be to change fingering from the 2E form to the 4E form...
|------------------------2-------------
|---------------------2----2-----------
|------------------2-------------------
|---------------5----------------------
but that would be cheating...

I'm partial to this sound, though...
|-------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------
|--------------0--2-----0-------------
|---------------------0---0-----------
[/font]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='CrackerJackLee' post='1132990' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:06 AM'][font="Courier New"]
Another option would be to change fingering from the 2E form to the 4E form...[/quote]
Hi, what are "2E" and "4E"? Haven't heard those terms before.

Anyway, all of the above is very interesting, as I'm currently working on a fourth-infested passage on fretless and have yet to come up with my solution.

[font="Courier New"]
[/font][/quote]

It depends on what comes after it, and what went before it.