Why become a member? ×

Ovation Magnum I

[quote name='Muzz' post='883118' date='Jul 1 2010, 04:03 PM']Way to photograph a bass, tho - how close are some of those shots? :)[/quote]

Yeah certainly makes it seem uber-glossy! It really is pristine and if I had money to burn I'd pounce on this as I've wanted one for ages, but that price is a bit on the "WTF" side of things!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='883580' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:28 AM']Are they really worth that or is this more likely to appeal to a young trendy band who've just made it and are going for the obscure older guitars look?[/quote]

Well I was bidding on one that sold for £800ish in about march which was in a similar condition to this. I was amazed it went for so much then. Across the ocean you'd pay $400 tops for one!

They are wicked looking though.

V&R are usually a pretty good gauge of market price for vintage gear, they recently listed a tidy one at £900 (and probably sold for less) so I’d say this is very optimistically overpriced.

These used to be unloved and dirt cheap (mine was £300 five years ago) but are getting rarer and some bassists are appreciating what fantastic basses they are – maybe because of the recent re-discovering of “Don’t stop believing / Journey”?

I recently acquired a Wal Mk 1 Custom fretless and the only one of my fretlesses that it didn’t instantly supersede was my Magnum 1; nothing else has it’s distinctive woody / acoustic-ey tone or natural low end (listen to Barry Adamson in Magazine, Ross Vallory in Journey, and – although I personally don’t like his sound – Jah Wobble).

[quote name='Shaggy' post='883835' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:59 AM']V&R are usually a pretty good gauge of market price for vintage gear, they recently listed a tidy one at £900 (and probably sold for less) so I’d say this is very optimistically overpriced.

These used to be unloved and dirt cheap (mine was £300 five years ago) but are getting rarer and some bassists are appreciating what fantastic basses they are – maybe because of the recent re-discovering of “Don’t stop believing / Journey”?

I recently acquired a Wal Mk 1 Custom fretless and the only one of my fretlesses that it didn’t instantly supersede was my Magnum 1; nothing else has it’s distinctive woody / acoustic-ey tone or natural low end (listen to Barry Adamson in Magazine, Ross Vallory in Journey, and – although I personally don’t like his sound – Jah Wobble).[/quote]

Shaggy, what is it about these basses that is so good? I'm not that familiar with them, and am curious.

Personally, I can remember a local store in Sydney having one of these when I was younger (probably late 80s), and the thing sat on the wall untouched for at least 2 years. Obviously tastes were very different back then to what they are now, but I have to admit I find it amazing how expensive they've become.

They were really overengineered apparently. This thread on Finnbass about Oxblood's Magnum project is quite an interesting read, as it goes into a fair bit of detail about what made the Magnum stand out from the crowd: [url="http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=5435"]http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=5435[/url]

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='883724' date='Jul 2 2010, 09:54 AM']I think FlatEric has one, so he may be able to say how much they usually sell for. Very nice bass![/quote]

Yes indeedy!!

As with anything, depends how much you are willing to pay. :)

I have seen one or two go for around £5-600 over here (USA cheaper) which were in fair
nick - you'd pay less for something that had been thrown around and more for a "Mint & Boxed"
This one has been up before and I posted stuff about mine then, so I won't go into any lengthy
detail but they are a nice bass - rehearsed with mine last night.
I also have the later one, in a sort of grey/blue colour, which is a more Fenderish shape.

I am always curious about how values are put onto anything like this.
Many are very happy to rush out and buy the latest this or that, or a re-issue, or Artist limited edition
and pay more than double what this guy is asking.
With something like this, it depends how much you want one.

Made many years ago - a talking point - something different on stage - different sounds - away from
the herd. :rolleyes: If you paid £1200 for a re-issue or Artist edition, there are loads out there - to the World
and his Dog, look the same as all the others and in some cases, you would struggle to recoup half
of your outlay. :lol:

It is a nice one, could probably do with a gentle set up but it is perhaps a little above what your average
Joe is willing to fork out, as it doesn't even have the original case.

I'm sure another one will turn up but as Shaggy says, the values are creeping up as people are re-discovering them
or, just fancy something different from "The Norm" :lol:

Let's put it this way - when I turn up with a Jazz or a "P", sit down and have a quiet beer in the interval.
Take something like the Magnum. . . . . . . all of a sudden, a handful of bass players want to buy you a beer! :lol:

Nuff said.

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='Wil' post='883876' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:37 PM']They were really overengineered apparently. This thread on Finnbass about Oxblood's Magnum project is quite an interesting read, as it goes into a fair bit of detail about what made the Magnum stand out from the crowd: [url="http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=5435"]http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=5435[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link Wil. That's a great read.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='883868' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:31 PM']Shaggy, what is it about these basses that is so good? I'm not that familiar with them, and am curious.[/quote]
+1 to FlatErics post above

For me;

Pros -
Funky, oddball styling
Ergonomic body; great for fingerstyle (but then I like Thunderbirds too!)
Slim fast neck (about a Fender “B” profile)
Neck rock solid; 3 carbon-fibre strips integrated
Lovely Honduras mahogany construction; real quality build / feel to it.
Built like a tank – probably the chunkiest bridge unit ever
Articulate, detailed pickups; neck p/up has micro trim-pots for balancing
Real winner is the basic tone as I said above – any amount of low end from that huge neck p/up but it’s a nice clear, growly low end like an acoustic upright, no mud / thump. Bridge p/up dials in a nice bit of cutting “honk”

Cons –
Funky, oddball styling (has been compared to a potato)
String-bending on solo neck p/up causes major output drop-off
Heavy by modern standards – I find it fine
Medium length strings won’t fit due to the long string travel over the bridge
(Noisy preamp / heavy battery drain on the active Magnum 2’s)

some pics of mine I've probably posted before;;

[quote name='Shaggy' post='884223' date='Jul 2 2010, 06:40 PM']+1 to FlatErics post above

For me;

Pros -
Funky, oddball styling
Ergonomic body; great for fingerstyle (but then I like Thunderbirds too!)
Slim fast neck (about a Fender “B” profile)
Neck rock solid; 3 carbon-fibre strips integrated
Lovely Honduras mahogany construction; real quality build / feel to it.
Built like a tank – probably the chunkiest bridge unit ever
Articulate, detailed pickups; neck p/up has micro trim-pots for balancing
Real winner is the basic tone as I said above – any amount of low end from that huge neck p/up but it’s a nice clear, growly low end like an acoustic upright, no mud / thump. Bridge p/up dials in a nice bit of cutting “honk”

Cons –
Funky, oddball styling (has been compared to a potato)
String-bending on solo neck p/up causes major output drop-off
Heavy by modern standards – I find it fine
Medium length strings won’t fit due to the long string travel over the bridge
(Noisy preamp / heavy battery drain on the active Magnum 2’s)

some pics of mine I've probably posted before;;[/quote]

Thanks for the description. I love the fingerboard on your bass, it's a lovely looking piece of wood (I'm assuming it's ebony, no?).

[quote name='bassaussie' post='884259' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:21 PM']Thanks for the description. I love the fingerboard on your bass, it's a lovely looking piece of wood (I'm assuming it's ebony, no?).[/quote]

Yup, ebony on all Magnums. I've always used roundwounds and it's barely marked.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='884263' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:30 PM']Wow - nice bass Shaggy! I'm guessing fretless versions are somewhat rare...?[/quote]

It's the only one I've ever seen, and totally original, although I think BigRedX said he'd seen another - damn shame as I think it's one of those basses that were just meant to be fretless. Individual fret positions are inlaid with fine wire on the upper edge of the fingerboard, but hard to see now as the varnish has yellowed.