Why become a member? ×

Which one and why?

lkngro

I've done all my research on this topic, including hours spent on MusiciansFriend, Sam Ash, going to 3 different bass forums, and going to music stores. In other words, I know what basses are out there. Now I just need your opinions on which one I should get. I'd like all of you to pick a bass from the list and say why you would get it over the rest.

I love my MIM P-Bass, but I've been craving something a little better for a while now. I want a five string bass that can get a nice thick, meaty tone, like Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band). I don't want it to be too trebley or twangy, but have a sort of low thump and growl that sits in the mix like a fat man after a hike. I also LOVE Two-Tone Tommy's sound from My Morning Jacket. Please keep all this in mind while making your decision.

So here is the list:

Ibanez SR755
Peavey Cirrus BXP 5
MTD Kingston Artist 5
Aria SB-404/5
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Standard or $$

Thanks in advance for your input,
Luke :)

This might not be the answer you're looking for, but the sound you are describing sounds like a P-Bass to a tee - which also happens to be what the bassist is My Morning Jacket plays - is this the Two-Tone Tommy of which you speak?

Maybe a different pickup or adding a bridge jazz pickup would give you the sound you're looking for? Or even a change of strings/amp/pedals might change how you feel about your current bass.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='lkngro' post='882429' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:06 PM']I love my MIM P-Bass, but I've been craving something a little better for a while now. I want a five string bass that can get a nice thick, meaty tone, like Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band). I don't want it to be too trebley or twangy, but have a sort of low thump and growl that sits in the mix like a fat man after a hike. I also LOVE Two-Tone Tommy's sound from My Morning Jacket. Please keep all this in mind while making your decision.[/quote]

sounds like you are after a nicer P bass to me?

Well I know that I don't want just another P-bass. If I did, then I wouldn't even have posted this thread because I'd still be saving up for an MIA Fender.

For a reference point on where I want to be tonally as an end, my dream bass is a Warwick Dolphin. So basically what I'm asking you to do is tell me which bass will sound the most like a true Warwick. But at the same time, that's not what I want you to do because I know that only a Warwick can sound like a Warwick.

I want something that will give me that sort of "felt, not heard" sound that Stefan Lessard has.

I think I understand that tone you're after.

My suggestion would be the Ibanez. Mainly because its fitted with Barts which will produce that tone when used with flat wounds.

To help that tone along you should really use a amp with with a valve pre-amp stage, or a valve (I guess you call them tubes over there :) ) pre-amp pedal, but you may have this covered.

That's not a million miles away from the set up I have, the tone I use is a 'wound back' version of what you seek.

[quote name='lkngro' post='882563' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:03 PM']For a reference point on where I want to be tonally as an end, my dream bass is a Warwick Dolphin. So basically what I'm asking you to do is tell me which bass will sound the most like a true Warwick. But at the same time, that's not what I want you to do because I know that only a Warwick can sound like a Warwick.

I want something that will give me that sort of "felt, not heard" sound that Stefan Lessard has.[/quote]

Stefan Lessard gets that purring sound from the back pickup and his picking hand. And his playing is quite understated most of the time, so a bit of taste and discipline are important factors in his sound.

Go out and try the basses in your price range and see what works for you. You won't necessarily need an expensive bass to get something approaching his sound.

[quote name='lkngro' post='882429' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:06 PM']I've done all my research on this topic, including hours spent on MusiciansFriend, Sam Ash, going to 3 different bass forums, and going to music stores. In other words, I know what basses are out there. Now I just need your opinions on which one I should get. I'd like all of you to pick a bass from the list and say why you would get it over the rest.

I love my MIM P-Bass, but I've been craving something a little better for a while now. I want a five string bass that can get a nice thick, meaty tone, like Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band). I don't want it to be too trebley or twangy, but have a sort of low thump and growl that sits in the mix like a fat man after a hike. I also LOVE Two-Tone Tommy's sound from My Morning Jacket. Please keep all this in mind while making your decision.

So here is the list:

MTD Kingston Artist 5
MTD Kingston Artist 5
MTD Kingston Artist 5
MTD Kingston Artist 5
MTD Kingston Artist 5

Thanks in advance for your input,
Luke :)[/quote]

Corrected your post for you!

I don't see how you can ask a forum on which bass to get as per the OP.
You can narrow it down to characteristics of a model but as for playerbility and sound.... these are huge variables IMV, and that is just from a build POV...when the subject of subjective sound and how people get it comes into play..all you can do is piont them in the direction of generalisations.

If you think those basses are worth invstigation more, then ok...but you'll really have to put the leg work in to find out the one for you.
If it were me, I would expect a noticable difference between 2 basses of the same model. I wouldn't be buying blind on the basis that I tried one and it was great so they all are. Buy the one that you find that works.

For example, I have twins..and the sound of them is chalk and cheese.