Why become a member? ×

Status players, which model(s) do you have?

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Bassman68' post='887262' date='Jul 6 2010, 08:33 AM']Lovely 2000 5 string, reckon it's from the first batch in late '89 when production went entirely 'in-house' for 2000 mouldings (well saying that, the manufacturing process was the same as the series II, With a wooden core, set-in neck & graphite facings front & back. The join between wood & graphite being hidden by the black sunburst).
I had #0440...
If you look in the battery compartment, see if it has a signature in there, either SS or $L, if it's $L.......I made it![/quote]

Hey Bassman68 - I used to live in Chelmsford in the 80s. Would "SS" be Steve Sutcliffe ?

[quote name='scarified' post='901343' date='Jul 21 2010, 09:42 PM']Hey Bassman68 - I used to live in Chelmsford in the 80s. Would "SS" be Steve Sutcliffe ?[/quote]
Yes.............Steve was there & Greg when Status were based in Chelmsford, before they moved production to Witham. That's when i joined in '89 ( I was only there a couple of years tho..) I don't know what Steve is doing these days?

Edited by Bassman68

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='887284' date='Jul 6 2010, 01:43 PM']I bet you probably worked on my original SII (#402) with the almost black rosewood top and light flashes. This bass was made in 1987 & I owned it from 1990 until 2006.

[/quote]

A lovely example of an original series II but unfortunately built before i joined ('89-'91).
I'd definately remember having a hand in such a great looking bass as that....
I love the earlier models with the L.E.D for the active circuit, even my 2000 V had to have one in green!

As a latecomer to Basschat, here's my Empathy that I had made back in 1992, and has been my sole bass ever since...

Don't be fooled by the non-standard knobbery - I had the preamp changed a few years ago after a few problems. The original pre had stacked bass/treble and parametric EQs, which I had Rob replace with a simpler pre as that's all I ever wanted. So don't dis my bass!

Figured walnut for front and rear facings. Interestingly, although I chose the wood, Rob ended up putting the front facing on the rear and vice versa. Once all finished and lacquered up, I realise that he made the right choice - he is indeed the master!

[quote name='Alec' post='903332' date='Jul 23 2010, 04:07 PM']As a latecomer to Basschat, here's my Empathy that I had made back in 1992, and has been my sole bass ever since...

Don't be fooled by the non-standard knobbery - I had the preamp changed a few years ago after a few problems. The original pre had stacked bass/treble and parametric EQs, which I had Rob replace with a simpler pre as that's all I ever wanted. So don't dis my bass!

Figured walnut for front and rear facings. Interestingly, although I chose the wood, Rob ended up putting the front facing on the rear and vice versa. Once all finished and lacquered up, I realise that he made the right choice - he is indeed the master!

[/quote]

Can't quite put my finger on it but there's something about that bass that just looks right.... very nice!

Nothing wrong with having a simple EQ, my Series 1s have bass and treble and that covers everything I do.

Welcome to the forum & to Status-land (otherwise known as God's clean Earth :rolleyes: ), Alec. Lovely Empathy. It looks like Rob put in the TB42 preamp which is the standard one that all the SII models had before (and sometime after) the Empathy. Nothing wrong with that at all. It'll still sound amazing! If your bass had stacked controls, it must have had a non-standard preamp added by a previous owner.

Anyway, you have a lovely bass there, Sir! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='903515' date='Jul 23 2010, 07:30 PM']It looks like Rob put in the TB42 preamp which is the standard one that all the SII models had before (and sometime after) the Empathy. Nothing wrong with that at all. It'll still sound amazing! If your bass had stacked controls, it must have had a non-standard preamp added by a previous owner.[/quote]

No previous owner for this bass, I've had it from new, and hoiked over to Witham to pick the woods in the first place! It had the original stacked bass/treble and sweepable midrange pots that were the norm for early 90s Empathys. About 8 years later Rob swapped out the preamp for the TB42 - so spot on there!

And thanks for the welcome - been lurking for too long!

Must take some more decent pics, including my brace of TC RH450s & my little & large Genz Benz cabs which I've mentioned over on the Statii forum...

• 4 weeks later...

The balance nob, nearest the neck, balances between the two pickups. The knob nearest the bridge is the active treble cut. It's not a bass/treble cut boost as such. The Energy basses really are good value for money. You won't go wrong with it.

[quote name='Alec' post='903332' date='Jul 23 2010, 04:07 PM'][/quote]

Phwoar! One of the nicest Status basses I've ever seen! I'm going to have to get another Status someday...listening to Level 42 is doing my GAS now good! It'll be headless next time though, either an S2, Empathy or Kingbass Mk1!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='879784' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:50 PM']With my favourite basses being in a few recent threads, I was wondering just how many Statii there are out there on BC at the moment?

What attracts you to your particular choice of Status in terms of sound, playability & quality, etc?[/quote]

I'm surprised to see that I was the first to add a KB mark II to the voter list. It's actually parked in my brothers studio waiting for me to collect, but it is still MINE. I've had a KB Artist and a Standard and am hoping that the mark II body shape works better for me (my mark II is a headless). I've also had an empathy, which was probably the nicest Status I've owned (rosewood headed - just amazing).

Now I want to add a fretless Status, preferably a Streamline.

Although it cant be added to the pole, here's my recently acquired bargain Status Washburn S-1000.

The pics are crappy 'cus I took them on my mac's icam in the living room (i'm lazy and couldn't be bothered getting out my proper camera). Anyways, its a pretty good example and once my new set of double-ball ends arrive from Rob i'll be putting it in for a much needed setup.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Status too Jez.

[attachment=57037:Photo_5.jpg]

[attachment=57035:Photo_3.jpg]

[attachment=57036:Photo_4.jpg]

I was working in a music shop/sound company in Pompey and picked up a fretless S2000 in that beautiful petrol blue colour,(#120). It's fantastic and I used it on a Jim Diamond album. I had a Wal at the time, but every fretted S2000 sounded fantastic, (I was also working as a sound engineer at the time too). I took the bass to Rob to see about having it fretted. After he played it, he remarked what a peach it was, with a very slim neck and how rare it was. The decision was made to buy another Status, right there and then. I was extremely lucky to be able to put a deposit on Rob's Empathy (#004), that he had built and was in the process of going to all of the World's music fares. After a few weeks and the bass finishing its 'tour', I went to pick it up and also pick up the fretless, (which had the brass re-finshed).

A few years after that I also purchased an SII, 5 string, headed, from the Essex area, that was built by Rob for his dentist!!! The bass had been used on Anny Lennox's Album. I sold it around 8 years ago.

I'll post pictures one day, along with the other guitars I seem to be acquiring.

[quote name='BassBus' post='930423' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:26 PM']That's a lovely looking Washburn you have there. Enjoy it.[/quote]

Thanks. I took the red model paint to the bridge to add a bit of pizazz to the status logo and I think its turned out really well. Can't wait to get it properly setup and playing/sounding as good as it looks!

[quote name='fabbabass' post='930644' date='Aug 20 2010, 10:09 AM']I was working in a music shop/sound company in Pompey and picked up a fretless S2000 in that beautiful petrol blue colour,(#120). It's fantastic and I used it on a Jim Diamond album. I had a Wal at the time, but every fretted S2000 sounded fantastic, (I was also working as a sound engineer at the time too). I took the bass to Rob to see about having it fretted. After he played it, he remarked what a peach it was, with a very slim neck and how rare it was. The decision was made to buy another Status, right there and then. I was extremely lucky to be able to put a deposit on Rob's Empathy (#004), that he had built and was in the process of going to all of the World's music fares. After a few weeks and the bass finishing its 'tour', I went to pick it up and also pick up the fretless, (which had the brass re-finshed).

A few years after that I also purchased an SII, 5 string, headed, from the Essex area, that was built by Rob for his dentist!!! The bass had been used on Anny Lennox's Album. I sold it around 8 years ago.

I'll post pictures one day, along with the other guitars I seem to be acquiring.[/quote]

There are some fabulous stories around Status-Graphite and their products, aren't there? :)

Lovely to hear you've still got the Status bug!

• 3 years later...

My word, am I late [by 4 years]? Sorry, folks!

Anyway, my Status was my first 'proper' bass after beginning on a Yamaha RBX200 at university. Details as follows:

Energy V, bought new in 1994 (I think)
Ash body
Bolt-on maple neck with twin graphite truss rods + single steel truss rod
Rosewood fingerboard - my preferred choice on all my basses
Original pots were replaced by Rob in about 2002 (?)

Otherwise, it's as I bought it, apart from smelling of smoke for a long time due to gigging in pubs a-plenty before the ban... yuk!

Here's a pic:
[attachment=166772:IMG_0315.jpg]

I do have one minor moan re the poll - Energy & Series 1 are put together when they are different models, aren't they? Energy only has the treble cut/boost, not the bass pot. Not really important, though.

My Status has been my main gigging bass ever since I owned it. I've tried various others (Ibanez, Dean, Wal, Epiphone electro-acoustic during those heady 'unplugged' days) but always returned to the Status.

Played through my GK head (simple but effective controls) & Ashdown cabs, it just feels comfy, like an old armchair. And the sounds are so broad-ranging, like the woody 'acoustic' feel through to the honky, jazzy growl.

I love it. Superb instrument!

• 1 year later...

I still don't know what model I have. It's a one piece headless bass. Similar look to an S3000 but without the bolt on neck. Here's the reply from Rob Green but after scouring the net I'm not sure if it's any of them:

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]Hi Darren,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]Looks like an Energy Artist or Series-1 hybrid from the mid 90’s.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]Best regards, Rob Green.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by snorkybingo