Why become a member? ×

The Bass should get soaked

Lysdexia

Hi guys - serious tech question.

If I was to throw a bucket of water over a bass would there be any resulting damage?

And any tips for drying the bass to ensure there is a happy outcome for all?

The bass will NOT be plugged into anything in it's moment of torment.

Well, having had a couple of amps soaked in beer a couple of times, I've found that immediate dismantle and drying out with a hair drier has resulted in no ill effects for the amp. I guess with water it would be the same principle as long as the bass is fully dried out as quickly as possible to avoid any corrosion, and I would dry all parts out separately avoiding any water being trapped inside the pickups for instance.

Is it for one of your photo shoots? Not for the Ric you're about to sell I hope :) . However, if the pictures involve a young lady in a bikini then I'd say go for it.

Edited by Rayman

Are you serious...NO...cant see that doing the bass any good,,...even if its not plugged in..if its active and there is any water left in the pre it will fry it..the pots will suffer too...also water might will get into the pup windings...

i guess this is mute if you dry it out really well...seems like alot of hassle...is it your bass? expensive?i wouldnt risk it

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='875408' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:52 PM']Hi guys - serious tech question.

If I was to throw a bucket of water over a bass would there be any resulting damage?

The bass will NOT be plugged into anything in it's moment of torment.[/quote]

Hmm...it's been done, but it's going to depend on the finish and quality of the wood whether there's any lasting damage. Personally if I had to do it, as soon as possible afterwards I'd get the electronics out and give them a blast with a hairdryer to get the worst of the water out (but be prepared to replace the pots regardless if water gets into them). I'd then leave the bass itself strung at fairly low tension (say, down a couple of tones) and let it dry out naturally (after, maybe, if it's a bolt-on removing the neck briefly and towel-drying out any water that's got into the neck join/behind the neckplate.

DON'T try to accelerate the drying process on the bass itself, combining excess heat with excess moisture will not end well for the wood. EDIT: a quick towel-dry would be a good idea, mind; I've played gigs in the past where either it's been an outdoor show and it's rained or an indoor show with sweat dripping from the ceiling and all I used to do to the bass was wipe it dry, *touch wood* never had any damage.

If it's for a photoshoot, video or something, I'd be seriously tempted to strip the electronics out altogether beforehand and 'dummy' the look of it with cheap/non-functional stuff (superglue some control knob heads onto the scratchplate or something, and just slam a broken pickup in there for the look) so at least you've only got to worry about possible wood damage.

Edited by Ian Savage

Although I have never tried it myself, I can't imagine there would be any damage. The finish on basses is normally waterproof. If the bass wasn't plugged in I can't see the electrics being damaged either. As long as the bass isn't left wet then there shouldn't be a risk of rust or warping. Don't quote me on that though.

[quote name='Ajrt' post='875426' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:03 PM']Although I have never tried it myself, I can't imagine there would be any damage. The finish on basses is normally waterproof. If the bass wasn't plugged in I can't see the electrics being damaged either. As long as the bass isn't left wet then there shouldn't be a risk of rust or warping. Don't quote me on that though.[/quote]
Are you kidding me? if water gets into the pots they will not work properly...water in the neck joint, after time this will have an effect on the wood...some basses have porous finishes..you cant get water out of everywhere..rust is not good on signal points..

use a dummy bass..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='875431' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:10 PM']Are you kidding me? if water gets into the pots they will not work properly...water in the neck joint, after time this will have an effect on the wood...some basses have porous finishes..you cant get water out of everywhere..rust is not good on signal points..

use a dummy bass..[/quote]
I agree, what's the point of taking the risk?

B5 - I like that avatar, it's a great shot. Are you going to keep it this time? You are becoming known as "the man with a million avatars" :) assuming you are male this is.

[quote name='Rayman' post='875415' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:58 PM']Is it for one of your photo shoots? Not for the Ric you're about to sell I hope :) . However, if the pictures involve a young lady in a bikini then I'd say go for it.[/quote]

Not for the Ric, but most certainly for photography.

I've been working towards creating a book of bass photographs featuring models/basses and want to include water. Need to include water would be more accurate.

I've had nearly a year out for this reason and that and I'm keen to get on now I'm largely functional again.

[quote name='silddx' post='875440' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:18 PM']I agree, what's the point of taking the risk?

B5 - I like that avatar, it's a great shot. Are you going to keep it this time? You are becoming known as "the man with a million avatars" :) assuming you are male this is.[/quote]He he, no im male...androgynous maybe,..the shot is of Erykha Badu...i love some photography and this IMO is a great shot..prob wont stay there...i should prob find a hobby hey..

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='875408' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:52 PM']Hi guys - serious tech question.

The bass will NOT be plugged into anything in it's moment of torment.[/quote]

If the pickups are fully sealed they might be OK but any with visible windings / magnets / pole pieces would probably suffer in the long term. Pots and active circuits could probably fail pretty quickly afterwards.

Neck wise, you might get away with it if you plug up the truss rod adjustment temporarily, maybe wax the fingerboard and any bare wood. And lightly oil the bridge and tuners. But would suggest you strip it down completely and dry it all off immediately.

But if any moisture gets in it may make the wood expand and crack the finish. My Fender P bass suffered badly from this when I lent it out and it was stored in a damp room, the neck also twisted up. Maybe a quick dousing wouldn't be as bad as it sitting a damp room for a few weeks but I wouldn't risk it!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='875441' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:18 PM']Not for the Ric, but most certainly for photography.

I've been working towards creating a book of bass photographs featuring models/basses and want to include water. Need to include water would be more accurate.

I've had nearly a year out for this reason and that and I'm keen to get on now I'm largely functional again.[/quote]

Is it possible to heat/shrinkwrap the bass body somehow first? No idea if that could work, no idea if shrinkwrapping can damage the bass at all?

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='875465' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:43 PM']Neck wise, you might get away with it if you plug up the truss rod adjustment temporarily, maybe wax the fingerboard and any bare wood. And lightly oil the bridge and tuners.[/quote]

Those are very good suggestions actually, hadn't thought of waxing/oiling.

[quote name='Rayman' post='875468' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:46 PM']Is it possible to heat/shrinkwrap the bass body somehow first? No idea if that could work, no idea if shrinkwrapping can damage the bass at all?[/quote]

I reckon it'd be better to shrinkwrap the bucket of water before throwing it..... :)

That's not to pour cold water on your shrinkwrap idea Rayman, just think getting a bass wet is asking for trouble!

Edited by Fat Rich

What the chuff are you lot on about?

The only things that will possibly be damaged is the finish (due to possible swelling of wood if water soaks in) and some steel components if you didn't dry them afterwards.

The electronics for the most part would be perfectly fine once dried out. Actives even more so considering they're often PCB based, ergo, plastic covered copper tracks. Solder doesn't rust either with it being mostly tin and having no iron content.

The magnets and screws may rust, but the actual pickup windings will be perfectly fine due to being enamelled copper wiring.

Splashing a bucket of water on a bass isn't like you're dropping it in a pool, it's really only going to be a little bit of water which hangs around the bass, most will splash off or roll off rather sharpish.

Go for it. Just dry it out fairly promptly.

[quote name='Buzz' post='875605' date='Jun 23 2010, 05:19 PM']What the chuff are you lot on about?

The only things that will possibly be damaged is the finish (due to possible swelling of wood if water soaks in) and some steel components if you didn't dry them afterwards.

The electronics for the most part would be perfectly fine once dried out. Actives even more so considering they're often PCB based, ergo, plastic covered copper tracks. Solder doesn't rust either with it being mostly tin and having no iron content.

The magnets and screws may rust, but the actual pickup windings will be perfectly fine due to being enamelled copper wiring.

Splashing a bucket of water on a bass isn't like you're dropping it in a pool, it's really only going to be a little bit of water which hangs around the bass, most will splash off or roll off rather sharpish.

Go for it. Just dry it out fairly promptly.[/quote]Im an electrician and water on PCB boards dont mix...isnt the fact that water getting into the neck swelling the wood enough?..i will bet my Sei that if you get water in the pots they will be damaged..how can you be serious that when get water in your pups casings and windings, your pick ups will work properly? how do you know that water wont linger where you dont want it..?

you forget that its not just the water getting on the pickups but the electrical signal being passed through these components..

i bet you wouldnt risk it with a £5000 Ritter????

are you really that confident to chuck a bucket of water over his bass??

Edited by bubinga5

@bubinga5:

If you're an electrician you should perhaps reread what I've stated, apply some of your knowledge about the construction processes of electrical components and realise I've said that the majority of components will be fine once dried out instead of skimming my post and then trying to imply I'm an idiot.

Kthxbai.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='875759' date='Jun 23 2010, 07:28 PM']@bubinga5:

If you're an electrician you should perhaps reread what I've stated, apply some of your knowledge about the construction processes of electrical components and realise I've said that the majority of components will be fine once dried out instead of skimming my post and then trying to imply I'm an idiot.

Kthxbai.[/quote]Mate i didnt skim your post and i didnt imply your an idiot??... :) ive got a bass to play

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='875745' date='Jun 23 2010, 07:20 PM']Im an electrician and water on PCB boards dont mix...[/quote]

I was an electrician. But, so dull a spark that I was promptly sacked on the day my apprenticeship finished. Beautifully, the MOD don't do apprenticeship 'fails' so I got my papers and a CV that says I was satisfactory in every category.

Even 9% in my electrical principles exam wasn't enough to tarnish my papers :)

You'll understand why I had to ask the question :rolleyes:

As one who has dried out several underwater flash guns and cameras in his time - sometimes successfully :rolleyes: - I would offer the following thoughts

1 - choose a bass you can afford to lose! In case the following fails!
2 - remove anything you don't actually need (so if you're not playing it take out the electrics and pickups and just leave the pick-up covers on)
3 - anything electrical that remains spray lightly with WD40
4 - if the back of the bass won't show in the photo tape round the edges of the electrics covers or use blutack, also round the holes for the pot shafts (probably inside and out if the knobs will cover the blutak) and under the pickup covers. You're gonna need LOTS of blutack! :)
5 - cover the back of the bass with cling film after filling any space round the neck socket, also with blutack.

Simple principle of the double seal - what little gets past the first line of defence rarely manages to penetrate the second!

Make sure you dry off all the drips with a towel before removing the 'seals' and using the hairdryer as someone suggested.

Good luck!

I just removed a crudely glued in neck by pouring hot water into the neck plate screw holes whilst the strings were under tension, worked a treat. Most basses won't use water soluable glue.

If an active bass can survive a sweat pop punker when it has reached the point all the aluminium foil has turned to white powder and there is sweat pooled under the plate, a brief soaking won't do any great harm.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='875408' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:52 PM']....If I was to throw a bucket of water over a bass would there be any resulting damage?....[/quote]
Do you need to use a whole bucket full? Wouldn't a couple of pints work just as well?