Why become a member? ×

Bottom End on my LMII

Jigster

Currently using LMii and Berg HS410 through various basses, last night primarily a G&L L2000 - just, well, kind of a great sound but also almost too rooted, almost too bottomy - I guess need to experiment more with the eq on the LM, and the rehearsal room prob doesn't help, what with the frequencies getting trapped and things, but it almost felt too dark a sound, and I like it creamy and deep, but it seemed to lack definition -

Really interested to hear any opinions on the LM? Is this a trait?

Tried pretty much all settings on the G&L - kind of made me hanker for the M I sold a few months back, the two humbuckers really make it quite a dark monster..Maybe it's the bass?

[quote name='chris_b' post='873879' date='Jun 21 2010, 09:00 PM']When I ran my LM2 through Bergantino cabs the controls were flat (at 12 o'clock) and the pre shapes were off. The bass was flat as well. The whole rig sounded wonderful.[/quote]

I start there and then tweak to the room.

In your case just roll the bass knob back a bit (9 O'clock would be quite a lot).

Thats supposed to be around 40Hz, that will suck the bottom right out...

An Auralex Gramma pad might tighten up the bottom end a bit, although in most cases a quick tweak of the eq will sort it out.

Where do you have the VLE knob set? I turn it right off because i don't like the effect it has, seems to lose definition in the lows to my ears

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='873926' date='Jun 21 2010, 09:48 PM']An Auralex Gramma pad might tighten up the bottom end a bit, although in most cases a quick tweak of the eq will sort it out.

Where do you have the VLE knob set? I turn it right off because i don't like the effect it has, seems to lose definition in the lows to my ears[/quote]

ah right - the vle is usually at 12 o'clock, so like flat - but turn it right back you say?

Edited by Jigster

[quote name='Jigster' post='873943' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:07 PM']ah right - the vle is usually at 12 o'clock, so like flat - but turn it right back you say?[/quote]

Aha there in lies the issue.

That is a MASSIVE treble and upper mid cut right there.

Where is the VPF?

If that is also pointing at 12 O'clock then you are also giving a HUGE bass boost and a lo mid cut at 400Hz

Off for those two controls is fully anticlockwise.

Turn those two right down and you wont know whats hit you.

I'd love to be there to see you face :)

Do tell us what you think of you rig now!

Dont worry you are far from alone in thinking that those two were off in the upright position.

Jigster your LM2 is going to sound massively different now! Probably a lot easier to get your sound. Those amps are capable of serious low end, in fact the louder it goes the deeper it goes according to Talkbass chaps, (which is different to the F1/500 as that gets tighter).

A little goes a LONG way with the VPF/VLE. Probably the best two knobs on the amp....I leave the EQ mainly flat and just use the filters sparingly.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='874014' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:15 PM']A little goes a LONG way with the VPF/VLE. Probably the best two knobs on the amp....I leave the EQ mainly flat and just use the filters sparingly.[/quote]
+1 on that. I don't have my LMII anymore but it is a great amp and those two filters are powerful.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='874021' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:21 PM']+1 on that. I don't have my LMII anymore but it is a great amp and those two filters are powerful.[/quote]

pluseth the one-eth.

I always left it flat and used the filters for tone. Dead handy.

[quote name='51m0n' post='873951' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:16 PM']Aha there in lies the issue.

That is a MASSIVE treble and upper mid cut right there.

Where is the VPF?

If that is also pointing at 12 O'clock then you are also giving a HUGE bass boost and a lo mid cut at 400Hz

Off for those two controls is fully anticlockwise.[/quote]

gotcha :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='874096' date='Jun 22 2010, 07:51 AM']pluseth the one-eth.

I always left it flat and used the filters for tone. Dead handy.[/quote]

Me to.

I first got a SA450 for the extra EQ options. While they have come in handy i tend to run the head flat most of the time and just tweak the two filters. Same with my LMII.

I guess these amps seem to work really well with Schroeder cabs so im lucky.