Why become a member? ×

Another lightweight head advice thread.....

geoffbyrne

So. I'm getting a few shekels together through selling this and that and if things come to fruition over the next week or two I'll have about£450 to spend on a small head.

This will be to replace my entirely trustworth UK built redface Ashdown MAG400 - it's the 485W@4Ohms one - coupled with a Berhinger 5 band parametric equaliser hooked into the FX loop which I use as a highpass filter set to 32Hz and to boost 180Hz, reduce 800Hz and boost 4Khz a little - it suits my ears!!

I' want approximately the same power - it'll be going through a 1x15 Eminence rated at 450W & a 1x15 Celestion rated at 250W collectively at 4 Ohms.

I really fancy the Ibanez Promethean which I can get from Thomann for £360 (I think) but should I be able to get a Markbass - which one & how does it compare & of course there's the GK Shuttles too.....

Decisions decisions.

All thought/opinions/bias/bigotry (about amp heads) welcome!!! :)

G.

I've been using the Shuttle 6 for the last couple of years and have been extremely pleased. It has proved very reliable and plenty loud enough for my needs.
No issues so far, other than a crackly master volume knob, which I think a few of them have suffered from. All sorted with some switch cleaner.

On one gig it got a bit sulky and cut out momentarily, but we were being powered by a generator, which I think was the problem.

I've been using it with Mark Bass cabs so not sure how helpful my opinion can be given you cab choice is very different.

Are you after getting the same sound as your current amp or something different?

All the best, Gary

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='869574' date='Jun 16 2010, 11:30 PM']I must: Why are you replacing something you seem to like and trust? Why not just add to the ranks? Or get another of the same thing for backup?

I'd be spending on a bass... you implied riff-raff could respond... :)[/quote]

OK Riff-raff :rolleyes:

I'm 63.

I have 5 stents in my heart.

I have hip problems not to mention the arthritis.

I can no longer lift/carry heavy items.

The Ashdown is great but simply too big & heavy for me these days.

So I want something lighter.

OK?

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='Musicman20' post='870180' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:13 PM']The best overall value lightweight amp, for me, is the Markbass LM2/3.

£560 ish new, prices vary secondhand :)

Clear, warm and articulate is how I would describe MB. Great kit.[/quote]

I'd agree wit that. I wanted a LM for my little practice box. As it truned out these fetch silly money 2nd hand and therefore I went for a PJB D-200. I'm impressed with that and its smaller than the LM but way down on power (in forness I was only after the LM250).

Markbass kit is very good quality, clear hi-fi solid state tone.

If weight is a thing, but I wanted 500watts of power, I would look at Markbass amps.

On my list to check out would be LM ll/lll or F1/500 but they are getting pretty well spec'ed and fancy.
Or...TC RH450..??all of which Gareth is well versed in and could tell you all about them.

Cabs would be single 12" so GS112x 2...?

I think you'd need to commit at least £1000 to get that rig with a bit of searching, second-hand...maybe you would not get the RH450 and the fancier Markbass F1/F500 though.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='870149' date='Jun 17 2010, 02:33 PM']OK Riff-raff :rolleyes:

I'm 63.

I have 5 stents in my heart.

I have hip problems not to mention the arthritis.

I can no longer lift/carry heavy items.

The Ashdown is great but simply too big & heavy for me these days.

So I want something lighter.

OK?

G.[/quote]

:) Permission granted!

A friend of mine here in the states has a Euphonic Audio Micro 300, seems to like it a lot. Thing just about fits in your back pocket... it's actually comparable in size to the LM II. EA also makes a 500 model.

Wanting something easy to carry, with good sound for small gigs and rehearsals (with my -what we like to believe as a- blues /rock band) and within my limited budget, I ended up with Eden Nemesis NA-320 (about 250 GBP).
Put it in a light but sturdy made of plastic ABS case and I've never regretted it.

Edited by Audiokostas

[quote name='JTUK' post='870249' date='Jun 17 2010, 09:29 PM']Or...TC RH450..??all of which Gareth is well versed in and could tell you all about them.

Cabs would be single 12" so GS112x 2...?

I think you'd need to commit at least £1000 to get that rig with a bit of searching, second-hand...maybe you would not get the RH450 and the fancier Markbass F1/F500 though.[/quote]

I don't think my stated budget of £450 would come anywhere near that.

I've got a markbass f500, and its insanely loud for its size! I'd be tempted to look for a 2nd hand F500 or F1 (which is quite similar) or a little mark 11 (although it is slightly larger) if I were you. at 2.1kg the F1/F500 weigh next to nothing!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='870559' date='Jun 18 2010, 05:16 AM']No-one's mentioned GK.

G.[/quote]

I have no experience with them, but those who do have put it up there in the same league with Markbass and GB- I mean to refer to the MB500 and the Fusion 500... the micro heads. I don't actually think you can 'screw up' with GK, no matter what you get.

Edited by Count Bassie

I've owned the following lightweight amps - GB shuttle 6, EA micro 300, EA iamp500, AI Clarus, GB Neo-Pak, WW Ultra, RH450, MB LMK, SA450, LMII and F500.

I'd be happy to have any of them again apart from the EA's. Having said that I spent this morning with an Ibanez P5110 (with the P500H head) and given the head price of £360, and the fact that it apparently has a 5 year warranty, I'd be tempted to go that route. The only thing the head doesn't have is an effects send/return, and if you overdrive the input it can produce a hell of a thud (phase reversal?), but soundwise it's fine. Tried the head through an EA MLine, and it sounds like a mix of a NeoPak and RH450, so no problems there.

[quote name='BB2000' post='871983' date='Jun 19 2010, 06:23 PM']I've owned the following lightweight amps - GB shuttle 6, EA micro 300, EA iamp500, AI Clarus, GB Neo-Pak, WW Ultra, RH450, MB LMK, SA450, LMII and F500.

I'd be happy to have any of them again apart from the EA's. Having said that I spent this morning with an Ibanez P5110 (with the P500H head) and given the head price of £360, and the fact that it apparently has a 5 year warranty, I'd be tempted to go that route. The only thing the head doesn't have is an effects send/return, and if you overdrive the input it can produce a hell of a thud (phase reversal?), but soundwise it's fine. Tried the head through an EA MLine, and it sounds like a mix of a NeoPak and RH450, so no problems there.[/quote]

Sounds good.

:)

G.