Why become a member? ×

Portable Combo Advice

oliverw92

Hi,

I am going to uni next year and I need to upgrade/downgrade at the same time - upgrade from my Laney Hardcore Max (i.e. better quality), but downgrade to something a bit smaller/lighter/more portable.

My budget is a max of £500. I would like to find something that could give me enough power to do Jazz gigs on its own and possibly small rock gigs where it would also have the help of an in-house/PA system.

I will be playing a Crafter Cruiser 5 string and a Crafter Congress 5 string fretless through it

Amps I have found so far are:

Phil Jones Bass Cub
Phil Jones Bass Briefcase
Markbass Micromark

Out of those at the moment i am thinking the Briefcase is going to be most suited, however i really am not sure.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Oli

Hey Oli,
I'll be in a similar dilemma soon matey, started a thread in a similar vein here >> [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91006"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91006[/url]
Hope it's of some help :)

Eude

I'm in exactly the same position - although It will be a slight downgrade for me.

I dont think the PJ stuff or the micromark will be up to the gigs I plan on playing. I definately need to move a little more Air than that. The Ampeg Micro series might be a good bet. 200 watt head and an ampeg 210 I've seen for around £500.

I also think some of the Gallien Krueger combos are in that price range - theyd be loud and super reliable.

Hmm the Ampeg Micro looks nice, but i really want it to be a combo, or have them joined together like the Shuttle 3.0 10T. The Gallien Kruegers all seemed a bit heavy to me too unfortunately. There are lots of hills in Bristol where i will be going to uni!

I'm thinking the Shuttle 3.0 10T is looking perfect for me, either that or the Ibanez Promethean. I shall have to see if i can convince certain people that it is necessary to spend almost more money on an amp than both my basses combined!

[quote name='MythSte' post='866327' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:01 PM']I'm in exactly the same position - although It will be a slight downgrade for me.

I dont think the PJ stuff or the micromark will be up to the gigs I plan on playing. I definately need to move a little more Air than that. The Ampeg Micro series might be a good bet. 200 watt head and an ampeg 210 I've seen for around £500.

I also think some of the Gallien Krueger combos are in that price range - theyd be loud and super reliable.[/quote]

The new GK combos are very good price wise.

There is also the new Ibanez Promethean.

Ooo thanks for the heads up, that is way cheaper than anywhere else!

Now it is definitely between the Shuttle 3.0 10T and the Promethean. I like that the Promethean is all in one cube whereas the shuttle has the head sticking out the top, although i like that you can get that add-on cabinet for the Shuttle.

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867011' date='Jun 14 2010, 01:46 PM']Ooo thanks for the heads up, that is way cheaper than anywhere else!

Now it is definitely between the Shuttle 3.0 10T and the Promethean. I like that the Promethean is all in one cube whereas the shuttle has the head sticking out the top, although i like that you can get that add-on cabinet for the Shuttle.[/quote]

Here's the extension for the Ibanez >> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p110c_promethean.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p110c_promethean.htm[/url]

Sit's nicely underneath for a 2X10 set up... :)

Eude

I'm still promoting the Minimark (not the micromark). Should go down in price a wee bit soon. Great thing that it is REALLY portable, doesn't bang on my knees and works on crowded tube. I can go to an audition, then the rehearsal, and then to a jam session all in one evening without even thinking about the amp. Those 2x6'' deliver a lot of bass, unbelievable but true. Enough as a stage monitor when XLR out to PA does the rest. When I plug in an extension cab, it makes skirts go up. Only I wish it had some more EQ - but hey, that's a preamp thing then.

eude: thanks for that - sounds like the perfect option having that second cab underneath.

janmaat: Unfortunately it is a bit out of my price range - £700 is too much unfortunately

Just been listening to youtube videos of the Promethean - I absolutely love the sound, and that Vibe control seems really useful. Seems like the best option for me now.

These decisions are often a compromise, I would advise separates A good quality high efficiency CAB 12" Neo. That can be paired with another later and a small but powerful head. Mark bass. This will allow you to take the head with you in a bag home and to gigs where you can hire, borrow a larger cab for rock gigs etc. Go for second hand if need be, but quality gear. Aim for 300-500 watt amp. The cab should be about 300 watt 8 ohms so if you do get another later you have a beefy rig. This flexibility would be best for your current situation and future needs. GK neo 1 x12” are reasonably priced.

:)

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867249' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:12 PM']Deepbass what about the heads that are in the Promethean and the Shuttle 3.0 10T - they are detachable from their cabs and are 300W heads, so would be suitable for driving a more powerful cab at a rock gig etc.[/quote]

+1 :)

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867268' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:34 PM']ARgh such a difficult decision between the Shuttle and the Promethean! Eude have you found any decent videos of the Shuttle?[/quote]

Here's the one I found dude >. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzal2VXmpQ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzal2VXmpQ4[/url]
I've spoken to a few guys on ta**bass too and they've confirmed that the Genz is very HiFi and sterile, while the Promethean is more MarkBass'y, still fairly transparent, but a bit more organic.
They've also said the little 10" Ibanez combo pumps out more low end than the 12" MarkBass Combo...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='867345' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:40 PM']Here's the one I found dude >. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzal2VXmpQ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzal2VXmpQ4[/url]
I've spoken to a few guys on ta**bass too and they've confirmed that the Genz is very HiFi and sterile, while the Promethean is more MarkBass'y, still fairly transparent, but a bit more organic.
They've also said the little 10" Ibanez combo pumps out more low end than the 12" MarkBass Combo...

Eude[/quote]

The extension cab for the Ibanez is quite cheap too, certainly the cheapest of the mini lightweight 1x10 cabs AFAIK

[quote name='janmaat' post='867026' date='Jun 14 2010, 02:06 PM']I'm still promoting the Minimark (not the micromark). Should go down in price a wee bit soon. Great thing that it is REALLY portable, doesn't bang on my knees and works on crowded tube. I can go to an audition, then the rehearsal, and then to a jam session all in one evening without even thinking about the amp. Those 2x6'' deliver a lot of bass, unbelievable but true. Enough as a stage monitor when XLR out to PA does the rest. When I plug in an extension cab, it makes skirts go up. Only I wish it had some more EQ - but hey, that's a preamp thing then.[/quote]

I do like the idea of that, but it' a lot of cash for a lot less amp, bar the fact it's a MarkBass of course.
Would love to try one all the same though, and to be honest, I don't actually use the EQ or Filters on my LittleMark.

Eude

Those Ibanez Promethean have caught my eye, have not heard one but reads well. but thats dangerous. need to try it loud. I once bought an Ampeg B1 combo these were 150 watt and 12". it was great but limited sound variation. Good for practise and small gigs. But we get the odd Civic hall. say no more. I then bought a Peavey 15 + 2x8 cab and on bigger gigs took the amp out and used that. I have since had Carvin pro bass 500 bi amped into two Trace cabs then got a Peavey 15 and carvin 2 x10 with the amp.
Don't want to bore you with a complete history but we all buy gear we think is the Dogs, or because it fits your Car or budget. But just buy smart that means head room and flexibility. I am happy, contented now. have Markbass LMK still have my Carvin 2x10 which i use for practise and small gigs and Big Band work. and a couple of years ago bought a 4 x12" Techcab 1200watt 4 ohm. Neos in there so i can pick it up no probs weighs about 50 pound. So i can kick ass and sound good at low volumes. I never used to have a back up amp, so just picked up a second hand EA iamp 350. for £300. Love its deep rich sound does not have the cut and hi fi and funk of the LMK but great for jazz.

There are bargins out there, I saw a mark bass amp for sale on here about £250 ish i think. So go get a good second hand cab and amp with good headroom. remember the efficiency in dB compare these as you need to double the wattage to gain 3 dB. so a cab with a 95 dB rating will need twice the watts to sound the same as a 98 db speaker cab.
Dont go below a single 12" for gigs or better still a 2 x10.

good luck.

:)