Why become a member? ×

Advertising yourself

TimR

I'm looking to find a new band and am going to start with the old card in the local guitar shop trick.

I'm thinking.

[size=3]Bass Player Available for covers band playing pubs, functions or weddings.

I am experienced, 41, with pro gear, pro attitiude and reliable transport.

Happy to practice to get up to speed but not interested in weekly practices with no gig schedule.

Phone Tim xxxxxxxx[/size]

Any comments. How would/do you advertise yourself.

I'm trying this first as an easy option, my next move will be to visit some jam nights.

Edited by TimR

Indeed there may be quiet spells (winter?) when not much in way of gigs is happening and the guys looking to hire you still want to meet up occassionally to keep things tight.

Also it might be the negative nature of the word "not" if I was looking, i'd have moved on as soon as I saw "not interested in weekly practices" regardless what the next few lines said.

I'd either leave that part out and divulge it if you get contacted or word it with a more positive attitude, " prefer topractice during a healthy gig shedule" maybe I dunno?

Yes, silddx, I'm constantly watching out for on-line ads, not just here.

I wasn't sure of the third line.

I supose I should have learned by now that the first few questions should be:
"How often do you gig?"
"How often do you practice and when?"
"What's your setlist?"

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='865361' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:11 PM']Indeed there may be quiet spells (winter?) when not much in way of gigs is happening and the guys looking to hire you still want to meet up occassionally to keep things tight.

Also it might be the negative nature of the word "not" if I was looking, i'd have moved on as soon as I saw "not interested in weekly practices" regardless what the next few lines said.

I'd either leave that part out and divulge it if you get contacted or word it with a more positive attitude, " prefer topractice during a healthy gig shedule" maybe I dunno?[/quote]
Yup, I'd lose the third line. You can discuss that once you're hired.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='865503' date='Jun 12 2010, 08:28 PM']Yup, I'd lose the third line. You can discuss that once you're hired.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Going on experience from the last 2 bands, I will ask that question before I put the phone down.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='865512' date='Jun 12 2010, 08:42 PM']Going on experience from the last 2 bands, I will ask that question before I put the phone down.[/quote]
You're immediately giving away the problems you faced with your last two bands. I'd go positive, like Prime_BASS suggests.

Cheers

Mark

Bliidy spill chucker!

I'm in a band at the moment so have the luxury of being able to be a bit up front about the practicing. No point in auditioning/meeting another band only to find out they're more into practicing than playing live. One singer was pretty up front about having better things to do with his time than spend hours running over old material or learning new stuff when there's no gigs happening. They got rid of him.

It is a good point, I'll have the conversation over the phone.

Maybe its worth just going for a jam with a band looking for a bass player just to get some contacts, but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

A few years back I was looking for a singer to join my band when a guy called me . His first question was "How often do you gig? Because if it's less than twice a week I'm not interested." Simple as. You have to admire him for his honesty even if a little blunt.

When I moved out of London for a very rural location, but within driving distance of 3 major cities, I spent £50 on postage and sent 250 fliers advertising myself to every drummer and guitarist listed in the MU directory within 50 miles of my new home. The result was about six replies, all of which came to nothing. Depressing. Found some good bands eventually, but I would have expected more sucess from this approach.

+1 to the positive feel to it all.

Remember this is just to get someone to call you for a chat.. The details like attitude, rehearsal vs fun practice vs the Wednesday practice club can be sorted then.

What you really want is for loads of people to have your phone number.

If is true you could add "Backing Vocals", "fast learner" and "also available for deps" as dep players are often teh first call when the original person leaves.

I'd then post that up in every rehearsal studio in town and also within a radius you are comfortable to travel - so if you are happy to drive 20 miles to rehearse post it up in the next town's rehearsal studios too

Also the free ads papers, Gumtree, whatever you have local to you.

I'd word it as cordially and flexible as possible to get the maximun numbers of replies..potentially.
No point in alienating anyone before you even talk to them.

I wouldn't set out my stall before I even spoke to anyone and would let them talk first.

Your 1st attempt comes across as a bit too fierce IMV...
PRO this and that comes cross as school boy wannabee and you are 41..!!
It is all very well to chase off a few dreamers and time wasters but not at this stage, I'd suggest

I'd just use something like

Bass Player Available for covers band playing pubs, functions or weddings.

Experienced, 41, with good gear, working attitiude and reliable transport
Give me a call to chat about any possibilties.

Regards

Your name

"25 year old female 5 string bassist looking for regular gigging band that doesn't fall apart because of guitarist egos, drummers who can't hold a can of beer let alone a beat, or singers who think they're the next axl rose/Steve tyler/James Hetfieldand leave in sight of 'bigger things' only to end up doing back alley pub karaoke gigs. Also not interested in screamo kids who plan on writing something 'new, unique, out-there and never seen before' only for it to turn into a 2 hour 'shout down the mic as loud as you can while the 'new' style they're writing is in fact 20 years old.
Yes, I'm female but that doesn't mean that you can take the piss/sexually harass me, call me 'luv' and allow your girlfriends to direct their pathetic 12 yr old insecurities and jealousy on me. Expect them to have their jordanesque little faces beaten in should they threaten me for 'steelin mah byfnd innit!' simply because I've shared the same breathing space as you.
Own gear and transport, gig experience and patience of a saint.

Sarah 07817 xxxxxx"

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='866141' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:43 PM']"25 year old female 5 string bassist looking for regular gigging band that doesn't fall apart because of guitarist egos, drummers who can't hold a can of beer let alone a beat, or singers who think they're the next axl rose/Steve tyler/James Hetfieldand leave in sight of 'bigger things' only to end up doing back alley pub karaoke gigs. Also not interested in screamo kids who plan on writing something 'new, unique, out-there and never seen before' only for it to turn into a 2 hour 'shout down the mic as loud as you can while the 'new' style they're writing is in fact 20 years old.
Yes, I'm female but that doesn't mean that you can take the piss/sexually harass me, call me 'luv' and allow your girlfriends to direct their pathetic 12 yr old insecurities and jealousy on me. Expect them to have their jordanesque little faces beaten in should they threaten me for 'steelin mah byfnd innit!' simply because I've shared the same breathing space as you.

Sarah 07817 xxxxxx"[/quote]

Cripes! A whole new perspective. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='866021' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:09 PM']...
PRO this and that comes cross as school boy wannabee and you are 41..!!
...[/quote]

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. In fact the original advert is very wordy and probably goes right against my less is more philosophy on everything else.

Why mention anything about equipment, attitude or transport? Only because I've seen it on a lot of ads looking for people ie must have reliable gear and transport. Personally I would probably assume that someone experienced and my age would have all the pre-requisites.

[size=3]Experienced Bass Player, 41, looking for covers band with regular pub, function or wedding gigs.

Phone Tim xxxxxxx[/size]

(I still like the kisses - I think it ads that personal touch.)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='866141' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:43 PM']"25 year old female 5 string bassist looking for regular gigging band that doesn't fall apart because of guitarist egos, drummers who can't hold a can of beer let alone a beat, or singers who think they're the next axl rose/Steve tyler/James Hetfieldand leave in sight of 'bigger things' only to end up doing back alley pub karaoke gigs. Also not interested in screamo kids who plan on writing something 'new, unique, out-there and never seen before' only for it to turn into a 2 hour 'shout down the mic as loud as you can while the 'new' style they're writing is in fact 20 years old.

Sarah 07817 xxxxxx"[/quote]

Do you think anyone would get past "25 year old female 5 string bassist" before skipping to the phone number luv?