Why become a member? ×

Breaking a string at a gig - has this happened to you?

Clarky

I've broken 2.

One was at a gig many years ago, the E string just died middle of the song on my 6er. Of course it was the first gig in 2 years I hadn't taken a spare to, so I had to ask if I could borrow someone else's bass. Luckily someone had a 5er so I borrowed that, tuned it a tone down then had to transpose all my high C work on the fly hehe. I hit a couple of bum notes, but it all worked. I still don't always have a spare bass with me. I usually have strings though.

The other was a couple of weeks ago when I was trying out a bass for a private trade, I assume the string was shot though because I was just tuning it and it went.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='856883' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:43 AM']Regularly had strings break when I used to use Rotosounds in the late 80s but never on a gig.

I assume the quality is better now, they'd usually break while tuning them up for the first time or I'd come back to the bass the next morning and find one broke in the night. Add in the regular dead or corroded strings in a set and I stopped using them even though I loved the tone.

Switched to Ernie Balls and never had a problem.[/quote]

In 30 years I have broken 2 strings,one E and one D.Both at gigs,both Rotosound which I wouldn't use again if they paid me.

Last Saturday, for the first time ever - tuning the A, Stadium Elite, on my Status.

Just went to take it up slightly and the only way I can describe it is sort of a dull "Dong" sound.
Made me jump - thought it was something serious until I went to pull the string again. Ouch! :rolleyes:
Our guitarist has a chuckle at me - "why take two basses, who ever heard of anyone breaking
a bass string"
I think I might point him to this posting.

:)

I think I broke an A string once. It was so long ago, I can't remember which bass it was on - either a Hayman or a Fender P.

More recently broke the F string on the 7-string tuning up when I didn't notice that the tuner was trying to tune me to C, not F. It was only there as a backup and I play the set on a 5-string, so using it for a couple of numbers as a 6-string (I brought it with me, I might as well give it an outing) was no problem.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='856390' date='Jun 3 2010, 06:32 PM']... I've broken every string on my bass including low B! However this has been considerably less common since I stopped using Rotosounds or Elites and switched to better strings.[/quote]

I've broken two "G" strings. 1 Rotosound 45 and 1 Elite Stadium 40. The Roto went when a case lid unexpectedly fell shut as I was putting the bass in it. The Elite was brand new and went as I first tuned it up to pitch- at the point where it first touches the machinehead after the nut. I reckon it was a duffer. Neither was at a gig.

Other String brands used? EB Slinkies, Elixir, DR (Sunbeam/Fatbeam), Ashdown and Warwick (Yellow, Red and EMP) Never broken any of those.

I've broken loads of strings. I break as many now playing fingerstyle on flats as I did playing with a pick with rounds. I usually break D strings. They usually snap when I bend them.

I've never broken one at a gig though. I probably play a little more cautiously at gigs. I carry a set of worn in flats in my case for the day when it might happen.

I am the string buster man...

Not as bad as I was, and the most recent time I remember was a rehearsal back in the super cold of december, busted an e and an a, month old set of flats, I was trying to see if I liked them, so only spare rounds, did not sound that great as a hybrid.
Used to bust an E pretty much every time I picked up a bass and started pulling on the strings. Always have a spare, as I get too over-excited when things get loud and fast. Probably the ex-guitarist in me. :)

[quote name='Huwberry' post='856391' date='Jun 3 2010, 06:32 PM']By the way, if you're going to break a string, here's the way to do it:

[/quote]

Johnson plays his solo so hard that its almost as though he is trying to [i]deliberately[/i] break strings! All part of the act? :)