Why become a member? ×

Allan Holdsworth/Jimmy Johnson/Gary Husband Gig

[quote name='geilerbass' post='855752' date='Jun 3 2010, 10:05 AM']Sutton!?!

Might try and get along, even so - would be nice to see Jimmy Johnson live.[/quote]

Haha, yeah I had to do a double take too! They are playing at Ronnie's on Friday and Saturday but not keen on that place...

I definitely recommend seeing Jimmy live - I can't remember if you were at the Jazz Cafe last time he played?

[quote name='Stickman' post='855845' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:03 AM']Haha, yeah I had to do a double take too! They are playing at Ronnie's on Friday and Saturday but not keen on that place...[/quote]

I'm going. £37 at Ronnie's, £12 at Sutton FC Social Club. The Kronenbourg is cheaper n'all.

I was at the Jazz Caff gig where it was AH, JJ and Chad Wackerman. J was too quiet! Hope they sort that out this time.

Allan kicks ass live - a right gnarly geezer - I've seen him three times in the last few years and he's great but I don't think I'll make the Ronnie's shows this week - I actually have a gig on Saturday - my first in about three months!

But if you get a chance to see this lot you'll enjoy it - lots of energy and lots of notes :)

Great gig last night - lots of notes and a very loud drummer.

Nice to see AH and GH in the pub over the road beforehand! Also, we hung around afterwards - JJ helped me understand his amp-less setup, and I helped him with his pronunciation of "Hereford". Fair swapsies there I think. (btw the last-minute nature of the gig was because the Hereford gig of the tour originally scheduled for Sunday night was cancelled).

Help my failing brain: I'm sure I've seen AH twice at the Jazz Cafe - once with Chad Wackerman and JJ, another time with Chad Wackerman and another bassist. Who was the mystery bassist whom I've forgotten?

[quote name='toneknob' post='859851' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:40 PM']Help my failing brain: I'm sure I've seen AH twice at the Jazz Cafe - once with Chad Wackerman and JJ, another time with Chad Wackerman and another bassist. Who was the mystery bassist whom I've forgotten?[/quote]

The last one was with Ernest Tibbs.

[quote name='Stickman' post='859932' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:42 PM']The last one was with Ernest Tibbs.[/quote]

I think Allan must have been back to the Jazz Cafe with Ernie since I saw him with JJ. Any ideas who was in the band before Jimmy Johnson (not this time, last time). Hope that makes sense...

Sounds like a good gig! If it's anything like the "All Night Wrong" record it'll be great. However, these days I just can't seem to listen to Allan for more than 5 minutes. His playing is incredible, but his tunes are often so "angular" and jarring they can put me off pretty quickly. :)

[quote name='Alun' post='861005' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:05 PM']Saw them in cardiff last night and they were mind blowingly good. Jimmy Johnson's tone, direct into the PA, is unbelievably perfect.[/quote]
Alun I was there....!
I don't know what you look like so couldn't say hello (otherwise I would have. I had a long chat with Jimmy at the Ronnies gig and he put me on the guest list for Cardiff (by chance I was visiting my brother who lives about 400yds from the globe). He's (Jimmy) a really lovely guy. I thought the sound was a bit duff in Cardiff but they coped with it amazingly well and the crowd in Cardiff gave them a hell of a lot more back than the Ronnies crowd.
I thought the ensemble playing was fabulous.

[quote name='Alun' post='861005' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:05 PM']Saw them in cardiff last night and they were mind blowingly good. Jimmy Johnson's tone, direct into the PA, is unbelievably perfect.[/quote]
[quote name='jakesbass' post='865474' date='Jun 12 2010, 07:43 PM']Alun I was there....!
I don't know what you look like so couldn't say hello (otherwise I would have. I had a long chat with Jimmy at the Ronnies gig and he put me on the guest list for Cardiff (by chance I was visiting my brother who lives about 400yds from the globe). He's (Jimmy) a really lovely guy. I thought the sound was a bit duff in Cardiff but they coped with it amazingly well and the crowd in Cardiff gave them a hell of a lot more back than the Ronnies crowd.
I thought the ensemble playing was fabulous.[/quote]

I'd just like to say that I hate the pair of you. :)
I'd have loved to have seen that gig but I'd have had to tell my sister that we weren't going to the Rush film & she'd have killed me.
Did they have a good crowd then?

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='jakesbass' post='865474' date='Jun 12 2010, 07:43 PM']Alun I was there....!
I thought the ensemble playing was fabulous.[/quote]

The drums were a bit harsh but once I stuck my earplugs in it sounded great :) I ran into Jimmy outside briefly and said a quick hello without making too much of a gibbering tit of myself!

[quote name='henry norton' post='865502' date='Jun 12 2010, 08:27 PM']I remember passing up an opportunity to see Holdsworth when he was playing with Level 42 - I can't even remember why now :)[/quote]
You didn't miss anything.
I saw them & he just looked bored & embarrassed most of the evening. He certainly didn't get a chance to play the way he's famous for.
The most memorable thing he did all night was mess up the guitar solo in "Lessons in Love"!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='RhysP' post='865529' date='Jun 12 2010, 10:24 PM']You didn't miss anything.
I saw them & he just looked bored & embarrassed most of the evening. He certainly didn't get a chance to play the way he's famous for.
The most memorable thing he did all night was mess up the guitar solo in "Lessons in Love"!! :)[/quote]
I'm not the biggest L42 fan but it seemed to be one of those opportunities that could have turned out really good - you've made me feel allot better about it now. Thanks!

I should start by saying that I am a big fan of AH, and have been since the 70s.
And didn't want to post anything negative about him.

But, the Hastings gig was a disappointment - for a number of reasons:

Firstly there were only about 150 people in 1000 capacity theatre.
The sound was very poor. First time I've seen Jimmy Johnson...couldn't tell what the hell he was playing - just a rumble!
Kit didn't sound very nice.
Alan was way undermixed.

The only way I can describe the show was:
10 minutes of watching paint dry followed by 3 minutes of absolute brilliance, followed by 10 minutes of watching paint dry followed by 3 minutes of brilliance etc
Too many drum solos for my liking (Not really a fan of Gary Husband... if only he would groove a bit)

Believe me I really wanted to enjoy the show, but in spite of that...he is still [i]one the best/my favourite[/i] players around. :)