Why become a member? ×

Happy ending!

grahamd

[quote name='Buzz' post='852240' date='May 30 2010, 11:42 PM']Well, we are on a discussion forum, seems a shame not to take a point that was raised and discuss it.[/quote]

Jaco > Entwistle (in my opinion) [I think I've done that right? haha]

Jaco has been a far more influential player for me and most of the people I know, where as Entwistle is just more widely known (again, my opinion, I'm probably wrong haha.).

At the risk of "hijacking" this thread I note that one BCer whos name temporarily escapes me used to own "the" level42 JD bass from the wembly concert from the 80s....and then SOLD it!!
well hello!!!! for me that would have been a keeper/bury me with it ...Im a bit of a fan you see!! and a frenchman has it :) now :rolleyes: :lol:
well done to RT though, what a benevolent thing to do!

[quote name='Buzz' post='852240' date='May 30 2010, 11:42 PM']Well, we are on a discussion forum, seems a shame not to take a point that was raised and discuss it.[/quote]
Do you think you can discuss without being confrontational though?

[quote name='Buzz' post='851918' date='May 30 2010, 04:51 PM']Part of the value of Entwistles' was due to his fame and popularity, Jaco simply doesn't have that and won't command the same price imo.[/quote]

However, Jaco was much more talented and ten times cooler, so the price of the bass doesn't really matter!

However, it's very, very cool of Rob to step in and sort this out.

[quote name='Golchen' post='852352' date='May 31 2010, 08:51 AM']I LOL'd a bit that Rob's favourite bass player was Jaco!

Nothing wrong with that of course, but he doesn't appear to have been influenced particularly (on any level!)[/quote]

You haven't listened to any of his stuff before Metallica then ?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='852310' date='May 31 2010, 02:40 AM']Do you think you can discuss without being confrontational though?[/quote]

Confrontational? Get your head out.

Entwhistle was playing solos while Jaco was still in nappys.

Two different bassists two different styles.
Both innovative.
Bass of doom....................I'll give you a tenner for it. as long as its got a case.

[quote name='tarcher' post='852406' date='May 31 2010, 10:28 AM']Confrontational? Get your head out.

Entwhistle was playing solos while Jaco was still in nappys.[/quote]
Well, that put me in my place.

[quote name='tarcher' post='852406' date='May 31 2010, 10:28 AM']Entwhistle was playing solos while Jaco was still in nappys.[/quote]

They were of course dire, and without getting into [i]that[/i] argument, I reckon Jaco could have played John under the table when he was in nappies...

Now now, children...

I could have sworn this thread was to celebrate a particularly good deed by RT & the fact that the Pastorius family now have the Bass of Doom back where it belongs. It'd be great to see Felix playing his father's bass live, wouldn't it?

But if you're going to get into the old "My Dad's bigger then your Dad" routine, we'd might as well get the mods to close this one straight away.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='852646' date='May 31 2010, 02:38 PM']Now now, children...

I could have sworn this thread was to celebrate a particularly good deed by RT & the fact that the Pastorius family now have the Bass of Doom back where it belongs. It'd be great to see Felix playing his father's bass live, wouldn't it?

But if you're going to get into the old "My Dad's bigger then your Dad" routine, we'd might as well get the mods to close this one straight away.[/quote]
Well said, love or hate Pastorius the bass has a unique place in history and this was a very kind act by Rob T

[quote name='jonthebass' post='851289' date='May 29 2010, 06:05 PM']Do you think he 'sent the boys round' or 'splashed the cash' :) :lol: :rolleyes:[/quote]
Hahahahah - he certainly had a few options available to him.

1. Splash the cash. He's probably got enough now.

2. Metallica's legal team - oh mummy...

3. I bet his homies from the old days are not people you want to mess with. :lol:

Regardless, that bass was heading home one way or another. :lol: Good on him. Always struck me as a nice guy, a great player (Infectious Grooves just kill) and way too good for Metallica.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='851392' date='May 29 2010, 07:51 PM']still not sure what the legal battle was. The bass was stolen property, as such by law - even US law - it should be returned to the rightful owner, which unless Jaco specified otherwise would be the family :)[/quote]

Unless Jaco gave it away or sold it during a manic episode.