Why become a member? ×

Great DR string sound clip comparison..

bubinga5

Ive just found this and answered my own Q in another thread...what was i saying about body wood being the tone of a bass?? :)

for anyone who wants to hear the difference in DR strings,...this is a great tone reference..Review and comparison done by Ed Friedland on a Jazz bass..

for me its the Low Riders that exhibit the most mid scoop (which i love) the high beams seem to lack a little bottom, while the fat beams tend to be a little lighter at the bottom, ala..the name..its either the MM's which i use or the Low Rider's that i like the best...

Ed gives a great description in words too.

its opened my to what a string can do for your tone..

Hope this is useful to everyone..

by the way if i want anyone reviewing anything bass its this guy...

[url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='51m0n' post='849868' date='May 27 2010, 10:10 PM']I've seen this (and heard it), but IMO LoRiders aret mid scooped at all....[/quote]
you may be talking about the nickle version.....sorry i should have said...im talking the stainless Low Riders...to my ears they are def mid scooped...Ed seems to think so too.. :)

Well they pretty much all sounded the same to me except the flats (which always sound rubbish IMO). Some are slightly brighter but to talk of [i]'mid-scooped'[/i] seems ridiculous.

I wish I could get interested in strings. I've had the same ones on my bass for 15 years.

I'm not actually sure what mid scooped means tbh, coz it could mean scooped up, or down presumably???!

It was just nice to have the same bass line played the same way with a load of different strings and to hear the difference, before I buy.

And there wasn't a great deal of difference to my ears with some (but then again after 35 years of playing bass my ears are probably shot :) ) But at least I know that before parting with any dosh.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='850165' date='May 28 2010, 10:50 AM']I'm not actually sure what mid scooped means tbh, coz it could mean scooped up, or down presumably???!

It was just nice to have the same bass line played the same way with a load of different strings and to hear the difference, before I buy.

And there wasn't a great deal of difference to my ears with some (but then again after 35 years of playing bass my ears are probably shot :) ) But at least I know that before parting with any dosh.[/quote]
Bass, Treble, Mid..take out the mid and you have mid scoop...there is not too much bark from the mids with this sound, just bass and treble...

the differences are much more evident when listening to the slapping parts BTW

Edited by bubinga5

Thanks. So, mid scooped out.

I used to use a mid scoop switch on an old Yorkville head and I always liked that for slap, now I know why... :)

I was really surprised by the black beauties, not a fan of elixrs, but those sounded grt nice.

Again thanks for the link.

John

FatBeams and SunBeams for me (from experience) I like the slighter softer feel under my fretting hand due to the greater compliance offered by round-cored strings. Other plusses? Extra output from the (Nickel (plated?) Sunbeams make my Jazz's output that little bit hotter without extra noise. They seem well made (no duffers in about 15 sets) and do last well.