Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz

deaky

I had one a while back & the only complaint I had was the super thin shaved neck. It would change shape in literally every weather change. I was adjusting the trussrod on an almost weekly basis & I've never had to do that on any other bass before or since.

The finish on these is great, though. Lovely quality to them. Personally, for a little extra money, I'd go for the new American Standard - The extras you get are worth the outlay, as is the extra stability with the slightly thicker and graphite rod-equipped neck. :)

Hey

they're great basses but they seem to suffer from quite noisey electronics and pretty unstable necks!

If you feel you can deal with those slight issues ( maybe it was just mine??) then i'd say go for it

Or your could spend a little more and go for a second hand US 75 reissue :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='849718' date='May 27 2010, 07:45 PM']I had one a while back & the only complaint I had was the super thin shaved neck. It would change shape in literally every weather change. I was adjusting the trussrod on an almost weekly basis & I've never had to do that on any other bass before or since.

The finish on these is great, though. Lovely quality to them. Personally, for a little extra money, I'd go for the new American Standard - The extras you get are worth the outlay, as is the extra stability with the slightly thicker and graphite rod-equipped neck. :)[/quote]

Cheers

What about the pickups? I have heard that they are noisy - that true!

Basically, the neck profile would change on it's own within a week usually. In cold weather it would contract, so need extra relief & on warmer days there'd be too much relief where the neck had expanded. Basically, the necks on these basses are shaved too thin. The standard thickness J neck is a much more stable beast.

What OTPJ said - lovely basses, but I felt the neck was flexing front to back when I really gave it some - never had any tuning issues though. Needed a small truss rod tweak with the changing seasons, but no real drama. I loved mine & must have had it a couple of years, but ultimately realised I like a bigger neck to get stuck into, so moved it on. Held it's price well. There's a couple of threads on here about them - try an advanced search.

Edited by johnnylager

For me, one of the pains in the neck (no pun intended) is the lack of quick access to the truss rod. Mine has held up well once it settled. It weighs in heavy, compared to some of my basses, and I consider it less versatile than other jazzes - the sound is quite aggressive. I'd happily own another jazz as well as this one.
Great look, and you see plenty of people using them, from the killers guy, crowded houses nick seymour etc so its popular with an array of personnel.

Ultimately, you need to gig one and see if its good for you.
I think its cool as hell and it looks fab.

And if you like Geddy Lees sound, its totally achievable.

Think of it as a go faster Jazz. Very good quality. Pickups a bit noisy soloed (Not an issue for me). Aggressive sound. Neck is only an issue if you like very low action . If you like Mr Geddy you will like this bass.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='deaky' post='849780' date='May 27 2010, 08:54 PM']Mr Geddy is the man :)[/quote]

+ 10 million.

In some respect I have Geddy bass. I had a Marcus sig bass but after some endeavour couldn't get on with the active pups. I sold the body and put the neck on a 75 RI Jap body. I also installed some meaty wizzard pups. :rolleyes:

I have had no neck issues and it's been over 12 months. I think the necks are more or less the same except the Marcus is a 3 bolt.

I can't recommend the Geddy Lee highly enough. The one i had was faultless (damn you circumstance!) Fit and finish was excellent. The pickups were quiet and really old school sounding with that big fat punchy growl. I never had any issues with the neck on it in the year i owned it either. It stayed in tune probably better than any bass ive ever owned too!
I'd have another in an instant (funds permitting!) :)

Edited by 40hz

No neck issues with mine either and I've had it for over a year, set it up once with a low action and it hasn't changed at all since then.

Pickups were noisy but I replace them with a set of Dimarzio Model Js and problem solved...the tone of the bass is amazing so much more bottom end that with the standard pickups.

Edited by PauBass

Ive had mine for about 5 years now, its been my main gigging bass for a long time and does show the the wear and tear but still sounds great.

i bought it as a backup/alternative sound to the fodera that i had but after dropping a j-retro deluxe in it i let the fodera go. i dont really notice any hum with the bas on gigs but sitting in front of studio monitors there is some and she is a bit weighty.

great bass none the less and my main go to bass

Dave