Why become a member? ×

Japcrap goes Banzai FINISHED!!!!

waynepunkdude

So as most of you know I bought a Westone Conchord on Sunday for peanuts.

Also Jacklondon wants me to do a re-fin for him so I'm going to try it out on this first.

Plans:

Take the lacquer off of the neck for a satin finish

Paint the the bass and headstock

Clean it

Problems:

Most of the body is covered by a scratchplate but due to the routing being so tidy I'm going to make a perspex plate.

The fingerboard is quite worn is there anyway to rectify?

There is a small crack on the headstock by the E tuner ( I have tried to picture it) is it worth trying to fix it or just leave it as it looks dirty so I assume it's been there for a while.

What should I use to clean up the hardware?

And last but not least can anyone give me some history on this bass?

Bass

Design

Crack

Fingerboard

Striped

Edited by waynepunkdude

Reckon the fretboard wear won't look so bad when its clean, but you'd need to do something to keep it that way.

If the hardware has stuff that won't rub off, try cola, except for the sealed bit of the machine heads, cause they might not like it, take the rest off and do them though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='849656' date='May 27 2010, 06:32 PM']So as most of you know I bought a Westone Conchord on Sunday for peanuts.

Also Jacklondon wants me to do a re-fin for him so I'm going to try it out on this first.

Plans:

Take the lacquer off of the neck for a satin finish

Paint the the bass and headstock

Clean it

Problems:

Most of the body is covered by a scratchplate but due to the routing being so tidy I'm going to make a perspex plate.

The fingerboard is quite worn is there anyway to rectify?

There is a small crack on the headstock by the E tuner ( I have tried to picture it) is it worth trying to fix it or just leave it as it looks dirty so I assume it's been there for a while.

What should I use to clean up the hardware?

And last but not least can anyone give me some history on this bass?

Bass

Design

Crack

Fingerboard

Striped

[/quote]

hi dude

im doing a westone rebuild too! got myself a thunder II body on ebay.

I did most research on www.westone.info
yours would the the 83-84 model as the headstock doesnt match the body.

That finger board is really worn! from the looks your three options would be to de-fret it, gently and evenly sand the board then re-fret it, replace the fingerboard or replace the neck.

Hope im of some help!

As the fingerboard is white in your design picture, why not spray it white & lacquer it -it's going to look VERY 80s with that paint job so why not go the whole hog?

[quote name='ahpook' post='849861' date='May 27 2010, 10:02 PM']I think it'd be worth having a look at that crack, just to be on the safe side...[/quote]
As the bishop said to the actress............... :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='849798' date='May 27 2010, 09:05 PM']Reckon the fretboard wear won't look so bad when its clean, but you'd need to do something to keep it that way.

If the hardware has stuff that won't rub off, try cola, except for the sealed bit of the machine heads, cause they might not like it, take the rest off and do them though.[/quote]

What would you clean the neck with buddy?

[quote name='Anthony Joseph Waczek III' post='849802' date='May 27 2010, 09:08 PM']hi dude

im doing a westone rebuild too! got myself a thunder II body on ebay.

I did most research on www.westone.info
yours would the the 83-84 model as the headstock doesnt match the body.

That finger board is really worn! from the looks your three options would be to de-fret it, gently and evenly sand the board then re-fret it, replace the fingerboard or replace the neck.

Hope im of some help![/quote]

That's awesome buddy, cheers.

My birth year :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='849827' date='May 27 2010, 09:28 PM']Is the actual wood of the fingerboard worn, or just the finish?[/quote]

Just the lacquer.

[quote name='ahpook' post='849861' date='May 27 2010, 10:02 PM']i think it'd be worth having a look at that crack, just to be on the safe side...[/quote]

[quote name='Alien' post='849996' date='May 28 2010, 01:47 AM']If you're worried about the headstock crack, wick a little water-thin superglue into it. If the crack really goes anywhere this should get in there and sort it out.

A[/quote]

Will be doing that.

[quote name='RhysP' post='850257' date='May 28 2010, 12:31 PM']As the fingerboard is white in your design picture, why not spray it white & lacquer it -it's going to look VERY 80s with that paint job so why not go the whole hog?

As the bishop said to the actress............... :)[/quote]

Now that's an idea......

First coat of primer is on.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='853085' date='May 31 2010, 10:52 PM']Soap and water and a cloth for cleaning the fingerboard. Maybe meths if it has broken though, as that will evapoourate easily and get rid of the finger grease.

Why didn't you fill the scratchplate holes before painting?[/quote]

Because I'm having a perspex scratchplate so I'll need the holes.