Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact/Midget stack

machinehead

Product: BarefacedBass The Compact . (And a comment on the Midget)

[url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]http://www.barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html[/url]

Price paid: £425 including delivery (July 2009)

I’ve copied the format for this review from here . Thanks sharkfinger!

Features : 9

====== from barefaced web site ===================
Dimensions: 25.5" high x 19.5" wide x 13.5" deep
Weight: 32 lbs
Sensitivity: Similar to many 2x12" cabs
Frequency Response: Similar to the classic sealed 8x10" fridge
Recommended Amp Power: 100 - 500W RMS
Maximum Output: Similar to a quality 2x12" or 3x10" cabinet
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
===========================================

I found it hard to score on features because the greatest feature is the simplicity. One speakon socket is what you get. The shape is excellent for carrying and fitting in the boot of a hatchback.
The weight is another big selling feature. Even though my Compact is a “Mark 1”, the weight is only 31 lbs on my fishing scales. I think the new model weighs in at 26 lbs. Astonishing weight, although I’m not thinking I need to change to save 5 lbs weight. I’m very happy with 31 lbs thank you.
Mine is the standard cab but it’s available with the vintage cloth covering which looks very cool and, if I was buying again, I would go for that look. That doesn’t mean I don’t like the standard look. That big 15” speaker looks the dogs danglies through the wire mesh cover.
I could score it a 10 but some might like to see two speakon sockets so I decided on a 9 for that reason only.

Sound Quality: 10

Amp: Markbass LMII
Bass: Mostly a USA Vintage 75 reissue jazz for gigging
Playing style: 99% finger style and (very little), and poorly played slap.
Effects: Usually none. Sometimes Sansamp BDDI
Music: Pop/rock covers, blues, ballads

I spent years gigging with a Peavey combo with a single 15” speaker. In those days I was playing far bigger venues, sometimes up to 1200 people, always into the PA. I was happy enough with that gear for years. But time and technology has moved on since then.
This cab has a very well rounded sound to my ears. It can sound big and bassy, but very precise.
The higher frequencies come across better than any cab I owned or heard. My style of playing comes out better without a tweeter but it has taken me a few years to realise this.
The high notes are sweet and even, never harsh in the way a tweeter can sometimes sound.
On a gig all your notes can be easily heard. The cab can sound fast as well. This might be unexpected, if based on popular opinions of a single big speaker .

The sound is mellowing and sounding richer as more playing time passes.
The volume from the Compact is definitely in the loud category. I have driven it to the top of “moderate” volumes. It’s never sounded anything near to farting. To get it to those levels would be bad for your long-term hearing prospects! I have no problem keeping up with a loud drummer with this cab.

In my opinion, the Compact on it’s own would be easily sufficient for 90% of pub/club/ hotel gigging bassists for 90% of the time, depending on tone preferences of course.

The Compact sounds clean and precise which is what I prefer. If your preference is for a gritty, distorted sound, the Compact might not be for you. Having said that, maybe with the use of pedals that might be possible. I’m not likely to try it so maybe another owner could help here?

Caveat: I’ve never owned a 4 x 10 or 8 x 10 or any other “big” cabinet. Biggest rig was a pair of 2 x 10. I have never wanted either the tone or the volume – never needed it. So please bear this in mind when reading my opinions on sound.

Reliability/Build Quality: 8

I have owned my Compact for almost a year now (as of May 2010) and I have had no issues with reliability so far. Only time will tell if that continues. I have not seen or heard anything with the cab to make me worry

The build quality is excellent. It seems sturdy and well put together. Some people equate weight with strength. If you’re an engineer you’ll know that there isn’t necessarily a correlation between the two. The Compact is sturdy but also light.

I don’t like the plastic corners though and I usually don’t object to them. It’s just that the ones on the Compact look slightly flimsy to me. In truth, they’d probably do a good job for many years. But it’s just my feeling on them. I know that the mark 2 Compacts have metal corners which I do prefer.
On the plus side, during discussions about buying a Midget cab, Alex offered to supply me new metal corners for my Compact. If I wasn’t living in Belfast and was closer to him, he would have fitted them also. That’s customer care at its best.

The finish seems tough. Personally, I prefer the look of carpet. But the crinkly paint look is growing on me. And you can touch it up easily in the future to renovate the cabs inevitable gigging wear and tear.

The handle is on the side of the cab for easy lifting and carrying. It seems very strong and performs its function perfectly.

The score of 8 given here, is mainly based on my personal prejudices against the plastic corners and the paint finish. Since the mark 2 has metal corners, if you like the paint finish, take it as a 9. And if the cab remains reliable after another year or two, I will be changing the 8 to a 9 myself. Maybe even a 10.

Customer Support: 10

I know of no other bass cabinet manufacturer who will give the level of customer support given by Barefaced. One-to-one advice on your needs based on your playing style, type of music and your sound preferences.
A one month trial, with your money back if you don’t like the cab. Jeez, what more could a customer ask?

I doubt if there are many of Barefaced products returned though.

Overall Rating: 10

I’m conscious that a review that is 100% positive is worthless, but I really do have to try hard to hear any negatives with the Compact’s sound. For me, it gives me a really top notch sound and at a bargain price.

You’ve read my reservations with the finish, corners etc and if that wasn’t there, the review would be 10/10 all the way.

In a way, I’d like to have a few more negatives to write about the Compact, only because readers will scoff at almost perfect reviews.

I’m not saying this is the perfect cab for all bass players. Please don’t read that into this review. What it is however, is a properly engineered bass cabinet which gives a high quality sound, at good volume.

I have every intention of keeping this cab for a very long time but if I were to fancy a change, it would be for another Barefaced product. In my opinion, they are that good.

The Midget. Most of the review of the Compact could be applied to the Midget. Mine if the non-tweeter version and it suits me fine. It has the metal corners which are excellent.
Sound-wise, it seems as loud as the Compact, not as deep and more hard-edged and mid aggressive. It’s possible to get it to go deep at decent volume. It’s a great cab in it’s own right. It also stacks perfectly with the Compact and is designed to be paired this way if desired.
I haven’t gigged the Midget yet. I’ll write a slightly more comprehensive review after it’s been through a few gigs, both stand-alone and paired with the Compact.
EDIT.
I've now used the Midget alone on gigs and it can get really loud and the sound is fuller than would be expected of such a small box.

I've also used the Compact and Midget a few times as a stack and it's like having an enormous wall of big fat sound behind you. It feels powerful but I've found that you can make the stack sound rocky, grindy or sweet as you prefer. I haven't driven this stack to anywhere near it's limit and I think doing so would be bad for my hearing health.

So, I highly recommend this combination. Use the Compact for most gigs, big and deep. Tthe Midget if you are in a small pub but still want loud but it can also give very decent rich bass.
Combine the pair for a rig that provides a beautifully balanced sound. I also noticed that it's easy to hear the Midget when it's on top of the Compact - another advantage.
Both these cabs use top grade drivers and it shows. The modular design is great for gigging bass players like myself who cover dirty dive pubs, clubs and the odd wedding. Three rigs in one and two cabs which are specifically designed to work together. What more could you want. I will say though, a pair of Midgets would also make a fantastic rig too. I just like having the Compact as a different option.

Don't listen to the talk of a neo equipped cab sounding different. If it does, it not down to the magnet material and I defy anyone to listen to a set of cabs blindfolded and pick out the neo's. Don't let that talk put you off. It's just plain untrue.
Frank

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='fatback' post='849430' date='May 27 2010, 02:25 PM']Updated url for the Compact is:

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact[/url][/quote]

This url also seems to work, but is prettier: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/compact.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/compact.htm[/url]

S.P.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Reading this review has prompted me to get a Midget to go with my newly purchased Compact. Not that I`m not happy with the Compact - far from it, but I like the idea of having the height of the two stacked together, to make it easier to hear myself, so I can set volume & eq correctly.

I`ll also add user experience to this, once I`ve used them with my band.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to my previous post, I used the Compact/Midget stack last night with my band - albeit a drummer-less version of it.

Set up the stack, plugged in, with my usual settings. In my band I`m the bassist who holds down the low end, so the sound I want is a supportive sound, rather than a cutting through sound. With this sound, the stack has a great presence - we still had 3 guitars last night - and gives me exactly what I was looking for with my Ampeg PF-500. A sound that essentially is very low down, and binds with the bass drum. I had been a bit concerned that, as the Barefaced cabs are so clean, that I might not get that famous Ampeg grind, but fears abated last night, dig in a bit, and that wondeful Ampeg tone is pushed through the cabs very nicely. The cabs, being so clear, really push out what you put into them. The area I usually find a cab is best to be tested is not the lows - most cabs you can dial enough of those in. It`s the high notes - as well as being high, does the cab still push the note with authority and are the notes still "big and meaty" or do they thin out and sound weedy? Well no trouble here with the Barefaced, even with the Ultra-Hi selected on my amp.

But that`s not all. I`m also going to be working in a punk band, so played around with a few settings, and got the most amazing Bruce Foxton sound. To have that feel, presence, and simply immense amount of sound from two such small cabs - well I had been expecting it, from all of the user reviews/posts on here, but it was still both very pleasing and amazing to get the exact sound I wanted from two single speaker cabs.

I`ve gone for the Compact and Midget together, to essentially get a "bigger Compact" sound. I`m a fairly old-school bassist, and I`d say that for more modern sounding bassists, the Midget-T would probably be the better option, to just add that extra bit of precision into the sound. For me though, these two do exactly the job I wanted from them.

Lastly, unpacking. I can now carry all of my gear in two trips. It may not seem a big deal, but at the end of a nights practice or gigging, the less that has to be carried the better.

I`d thoroughly recommend the Barefaced cabs to anyone. I`m a bassist who previously used either a 412, or a 410 & 210 stack, so you can get the idea of the size of the sound I`m after (not so much the volume, I`m not a particularly loud player). I`m confident enough of these 2 cabs that they will meet my needs in a live setting. Once I`ve actually done this, I`ll update, to confirm either yes or no. But at the moment, I`m very pleased with them.

An update to my review above. Last night I used the Compact/Midget stack with the punk band and was amazed. Playing "full-on punk-style" I had to really mess about with the eq on the mids to find a sound that wasn`t too much, if you know what I mean. After upping/downing, selecting different frequencies etc, in the end, I settled for selecting the Ultra-Low on my amp, which boosts at 40 Hz, and has a cut at 500 Hz. In addition, I further selected the 800 Hz frequency, and cut that slightly too, everything else flat, so ended up with the typical Ampeg scooped sound, with a bit of compression added for chunkiness.

The performance of these two cabs is amazing, and really provided an immense platform on which the guitar was able to work really well. Additionally, the sound I had didn`t get in the way of the guitar - as said earlier these cabs don`t have tweeters, so no high frequencies, plus, I like old roundwound Rotos, so no "zingyness". A nice rounded bass sound. Now I know what they mean on Talkbass when they talk of a sound "like molasses".

So, Fender Precision, old roundwound Rotos, Ampeg head, into Barefaced Compact/Midget. This set-up gives me the old-school bass sound that I want. The Barefaced cabs just put out what you put into them, and don`t seem to colour the sound at all. Which for me is great, as they push out that Fender/Roto/Ampeg sound which I love.

Well done Alex - you`ve made my ears and my back very happy. Plus the stack looks cool, so my eyes are happy too.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1344662' date='Aug 18 2011, 05:55 PM']The performance of these two cabs is amazing, and really provided an immense platform on which the guitar was able to work really well. Additionally, the sound I had didn`t get in the way of the guitar - as said earlier these cabs don`t have tweeters, so no high frequencies, plus, I like old roundwound Rotos, so no "zingyness". A nice rounded bass sound. Now I know what they mean on Talkbass when they talk of a sound "like molasses".

So, Fender Precision, old roundwound Rotos, Ampeg head, into Barefaced Compact/Midget. This set-up gives me the old-school bass sound that I want. The Barefaced cabs just put out what you put into them, and don`t seem to colour the sound at all. Which for me is great, as they push out that Fender/Roto/Ampeg sound which I love.[/quote]

Lozz, you sound like you're a man after my own tone. I've got the P-bass and the PF-500 but not the barefaced.
Whatdya reckon, could you get this kind of sound out of those cabs? Specifically the Compact

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMbG1RoHRc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMbG1RoHRc[/url] - wait for the verse
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMbG1RoHRc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMbG1RoHRc[/url] - 24 secs

but then, will it do this???

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Zs0gB87c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Zs0gB87c[/url]

p.s. of course I know I should be asking Mr. Claber, I'm doing that too!

:)

Well it will definately do the Marvin Gay bass players sound.

Re the Rancid sound - with newer strings, Ultra-Low and Ultra-Hi selected on the PF-500 I`m sure you`d be getting there, maybe drop the mids too - prob the 800 Hz setting. I think a tweeter would assist on that sound a great deal though. But with a Precision with new roundwounds, I`m sure you`d be very near.

Interesting pointless anecdote, my last bands guitarist is American, and he was in a band that, through different incarnations, went on to become Rancid.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1345766' date='Aug 19 2011, 07:40 PM']Well it will definately do the Marvin Gay bass players sound.

Re the Rancid sound - with newer strings, Ultra-Low and Ultra-Hi selected on the PF-500 I`m sure you`d be getting there, maybe drop the mids too - prob the 800 Hz setting. I think a tweeter would assist on that sound a great deal though. But with a Precision with new roundwounds, I`m sure you`d be very near.

Interesting pointless anecdote, my last bands guitarist is American, and he was in a band that, through different incarnations, went on to become Rancid.[/quote]

He wasnt in Operation Ivy by any chance was he?!??!?

Edited by Musicman20

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1336001' date='Aug 11 2011, 07:27 AM']I had been a bit concerned that, as the Barefaced cabs are so clean, that I might not get that famous Ampeg grind, but fears abated last night, dig in a bit, and that wondeful Ampeg tone is pushed through the cabs very nicely. The cabs, being so clear, really push out what you put into them.[/quote]

I have a compact + midget-t and like you, I favour speakers that present the bass/amp tone faithfully and not add colouration of thier own. Tone wise I go for a modern rock/metal sort of sound - kind of a grindy grand piano sort sort of thing coutesy of my status and RH450 and this stack is well capable of that also. So I would say that these cabs are eminently suited to old and new rock styles so long as your amp can provide the necessary dirt.

The other Ive noticed about the compact/midget combo is that the sound is very coherent - like its comming from one big cab.

Edited by bassman7755

• 8 years later...

Been happily revisiting Basschat's dusty end this evening. Threads like this one in particular being very close to my heart. 

In a couple of days I will be rejoining the BF C/M club. I bought this superb set up from @Happy Jack a couple of years back. I loved it  And who wouldn't? Then, a little way down the road, I spent the last of my pennies on an SVT.

Can't sit an SVT on top of a Compact /Midget stack. Not unless you enjoy the precarious overhang of a 25 cwt head wobbling on top of a couple of cabs weighing no more than 2 polystyrene ceiling tiles.

But lay the compact on its side, and presto! The world's loudest coffee table. 

So, being out of cash I offered my Midget (settle down at the back) in trade for a second Compact. Score! Basschat came through for me. Did the deal and the SVT was upon a throne worthy of such a piece of bass history. 

But I never ever stopped hankering for that Midget. I used to sit my Orange Terror on it, wait for the rest of the band to finish laughing at it, then turn them to blast shadows on the rehearsal room wall. 

I have my ultimate set up, with my Ashdown gear and my two Compacts. I don't need this. I have the flexibility I need for all the different bands I work with. But either on its own, or paired as the good Lord Alex intended, with its 15" pal, this, to me is one of the greatest boxes I've ever owned. 

Colour me excited.