Why become a member? ×

Not being allowed much creative influence

Alfie

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='846119' date='May 23 2010, 10:41 PM']Sometimes we get to lead and sometimes we get to follow - it's all good.

I played in a country-esque band for about 5 minutes and while it was all root-fifth it was still surprisingly challenging to nail the feel absolutely spot on. If the line is basically simple then you get to concentrate on your feel and dynamics rather than packing 50 notes into the bar - something like that :)[/quote]

lol.
I guess it's different in my band, no one is a jack of all trades, the drummer claims to be able to play guitar, but he can't. And so I automatically assume any idea they have regarding the baseline will be aweful. I also like to think they trust me enough to play something that sounds good in mix, by the way of someone else telling me no implies a sense of mistrust in my ability. I guess it's fair enough if they do play guitar or bass, as when they write the dong they have their own interpretation of what it will sound like.

I went for a few goes with a band last December where the guitarist had brought a bunch of songs and he basically wanted me to play whatever he'd been playing with his thumb when he played them on his acoustic guitar.

Then at the third or fourth practice he asked me to make my sound as bassy as possible, and didn't believe me when I told him my sound could not get much bassier (I'd cut everything above 300hz), so I decided they could probably get by with anybody playing the bass - preferably someone who didn't know how to do it - and I told them it wasn't my sort of thing...

My only brush with an originals band had a guitarist / writer who also turned out to be a way better bass player than me. He had some fabulous lines. I learned a lot very quickly. Unfortunately, not quickly enough because I got the boot (although to be fair, the guy was too much of a wimpoid to tell me why - it was probably just my grumpy attitude!!). I'm always willing to admit that I don't know best. In fact, come to think of it, I almost never know best!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

Maybe we could make up a sign, like one of those Health & Safety efforts:

"NO FRET w***erY WHILST SHOW IN PROGRESS"

I guess that's the problem with a lot of these decisions - that we're caught between showmanship and plodding, and with our fellow band-members making value judgements either side of the line. Do too much and you're in trouble; too little and likewise.

The guys above have nailed it. You're there to support the song, so do what feels right for the song - and that can include some pretty meaty contributions, all told. I'm thinking along the lines of people like Graham Moakes (Bloc Party), etc, people who nail some top basslines which add to the songs rather than serve themselves.

That said, you should be allowed the freedom to get to this position. It takes more than a guitarist to make a band - and they're the ones I find are the usual suspects when it comes to already knowing what it's all about! :)

I play in a three-piece where the guitarist/writer demos his tunes with him playing the bass.
he is just about ok on bass but often his lines are really predictable or ordinary.
The trouble is, if I deviate from what he has recorded, it throws him out completely! Even playing the same thing an octave higher will earn me a nervous sideways glance.
There are some songs where I get a bit more of a free rein, but mostly it is quite stultifying.
I'm really only doing it to keep my hand in, as my other band doesn't play that often, and almost never rehearses.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='846410' date='May 24 2010, 12:09 PM']Our trumpet player is always pushing to get me to take a solo. I keep telling her bass players don't solo because nobody enjoys it when they do, but she still brings it up every rehearsal.[/quote]

Sounds like she has a soft spot ...

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='845913' date='May 23 2010, 06:10 PM']...John Deacon anyway, he zooms around all over the place on some Queen tracks but no-one except other bass players notice![/quote]

Yeah. Millionaire's Waltz for example. Lovely line, but most listeners just assume its being played on piano or guitar!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='845888' date='May 23 2010, 05:19 PM']Silddx is absolutely on the money here - except for one really important point - it's "widdly widdly woo" :)[/quote]
Agreed, except that I think you'll find it's actually "diddly diddly waaaaah". :rolleyes:

Done both.

The reggae/ska/punk band I was in years ago - the singer/guitarist was the main man and wrote a lot of the bass lines. They were awesome bass lines though so I couldn't complain. I'd come up with riffs but they didn't morph into many songs.

In my current band I've taken more of a lead role in the song writing dept and love it - the creative aspect has become just as - if not more important than the bass playing - which is quite surprising now, thinking of it.

I couldn't do plodding though - I'd just get too bored.

Edited by burno70

[quote name='4 Strings' post='846480' date='May 24 2010, 01:42 PM']Sounds like she has a soft spot ...[/quote]

No it's nothing like that. I think she's probably been bragging to someone about me being a good bass player and now she needs to show me off to prove it, but I'm having none of it. Good bass players don't solo. :)

Good thread,,interesting points....

Depends what your playing obviously......if playing original stuff you can do what you like,,,if playing in a covers or tribute band you have two choices,, play whats on the original recording,, or as close as possible,, or re-invent the song into something different...if playing in a tribute its often a plodding route as before mentioned,, but thats a maturity that should come hand in hand with the responsibility of being the bass player.....ive seen a few brilliant players been sent home, off- tour because of poor discipline...saying that,, if you really have something special to offer then you need to find a route for it.....my mate loves three hours of prog rock for example ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

[quote name='Alfie' post='846103' date='May 23 2010, 10:21 PM']It's folk. When I signed up I was thinking Fairport or Steeleye Span, there are some pretty juicy basslines in the world of folk, but in reality it is more country.

I may have to put my foot down with the 'jam' songs, if I am going to travel 45 mins each way for rehearsals then I am going to need at least one fun song to get all the superfluous notes out of my system.[/quote]

Suggest this one for the Folk covers bit :)