Why become a member? ×

Your Dream Warmoth Bass

Metalmoore

I spend way too much time on the warmoth site planning my dream warmoth made bass, if I had the money right now I would get this:

Body: 4-string Jazz bass in Daphne blue made from swamp ash with white pearl PG with routed double battery box with strap locks
Neck: maple on maple 20 fret neck with a hipshot 3 string retainer with clover ultralite tuners with clover ultralite detuner with Graph Tech TUSQ nut with the chrome Warmoth Metal Decal on the headstock
Pickups: 2x Big Singles
Preamp: Audere w/ 4 band with passive switch and tone @ 18v
Bridge: String through Hipshot single saddles

I think it would be an awesome bass with ALL chrome hardware, it would cost a fair bit but in the end I think it would be worth it. What does everyone else think? And what would you make?

I have spent more than my fair share on that site, drooling over gecko basses and trying to find the perfect jazz bass. I thought about black hardware but with the maple, pearl PG and daphne blue i dont think it looks right. I look forward to seeing what everyone else can dream up, might even give me more GAS and ideas

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='842508' date='May 19 2010, 08:44 PM']That would be a pretty sweet instrument - and I say that despite not being into Metal.
[Shameless Plug] I'm selling a pair of big singles on here [/ Shameless Plug][/quote]

If i had the money to do all this i would be taking those pups offa you, but as the thread title suggests, its all just a dream until i get a job and being a student it will take about a year to make the money to make this bass a reality :)

It wouldnt be just for metal, although i am a big metal fan i dont really play much metal tbh, if i hear a bass line i like i will try and find a tab for it and give it a try. I learned some blondie and hendrix basslines last week. Do you think the big singles would be too aggressive?

I actually used to own a pretty close example. I would probably have changed the fingerboard to ebony

Walnut Jazz body with Pau Ferro neck and fingerboard, lined fretless.
Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods to a vol/vol/tone, all black hardware inc. Gotoh bridge and Schaller tuners and straplocks

Was awesome, i'm missing it now!

Ahh, I've spent a good few hours on the Warmoth site.

I'm thinking something like:

J Bass body.
Swamp Ash, or Alder in Candy or Dakota red with black binding, black pearloid pickguard with top routed control cavity (standard jazz plate type), or walnut in a clear finish with rear routed control cavity.
Pickups: MM Bridge, Jazz neck. Nordstrands maybe.
Preamp: 3 band active, vol, vol and a switch for all of the coil options on the MM pickup.
Hardware: Black; Badass bridge, Hipshot tuners with a drop tuner for the E string, straplocks.

And for the piece de resistance;

Status graphite fretted jazz bass neck.

I roughly priced all that up once and, well let's say I won't be affording it any time soon though. A guy can dream though, I reckon that'd make an absolute beast of a bass. Or a total monstrosity!

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='842696' date='May 19 2010, 11:52 PM']I guess its good for my bank-balance that Warmoth don't do mustang bass bodies & necks.

If they did I'd fancy a fenderbird based on a firebird-type guitar body & mustang neck.[/quote]

I'm sure if you ask real nicely they might be able to help you out :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='842575' date='May 19 2010, 09:49 PM']I actually used to own a pretty close example. I would probably have changed the fingerboard to ebony

Walnut Jazz body with Pau Ferro neck and fingerboard, lined fretless.
Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods to a vol/vol/tone, all black hardware inc. Gotoh bridge and Schaller tuners and straplocks

Was awesome, i'm missing it now![/quote]
Hehe, I came very close to buying this, I was debating it for a long time! It looked like a gorgeous bass.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='842711' date='May 20 2010, 12:10 AM']Hehe, I came very close to buying this, I was debating it for a long time! It looked like a gorgeous bass.[/quote]

It ended up going to Sweden i think, new owner is very happy with it. It's silly how little Warmoths go for 2nd hand considering the premium quality components, makes buying one more personal i suppose as you're more likely to hang on to it!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='842855' date='May 20 2010, 10:04 AM']Don't encourage me - my missus thinks I already have enough basses :rolleyes:[/quote]

lol i have 4 (Aria zzb, custom Jazz, stagg warlock and eBayed PJ) and my parents are not happy with that, but in my defence i am trying to sell the warlock copy.

Oh and you can never have enough basses :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='842696' date='May 19 2010, 11:52 PM']I guess its good for my bank-balance that Warmoth don't do mustang bass bodies & necks.

If they did I'd fancy a fenderbird based on a firebird-type guitar body & mustang neck.[/quote]

Bad news mate, they're doing 30" and 32" setups now >>
[url="http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9152.msg167636#msg167636"]http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php...67636#msg167636[/url]

Probably only a matter of time before a mustung/musicmaster body appears...

Eude

They're even working on Single Cut bass bodies...
[url="http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9152.msg160329#msg160329"]http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php...60329#msg160329[/url]

Eude

OK, my custom Warmoth would be...

Body: 4 string Slab fronted Jazz Bass Swamp Ash In Gloss Black, rear routed, side jacked, single battery box and strung through body
Neck: 30" 21 fret Maple Jazz Bass Neck with Wenge fingerboard, just side dots, Brass nut and Gloss Black Headstock
Pickups: Dual Coil Nordstrands or possibly something custom from Wizard or Kent Armstrong
Preamp: U-Retro 01 Deluxe (you know, the 3 band one with active/passive switching and tone control)
Hardware: All in Black - Hipshot Ultralight HB6Y Tuning Pegs with D-Tuner, B Type Bridge

What's scary is, this will actually be possible soon...

Eude

Edited by eude

I've been playing the same game for about 18 Months -

P bass body - One piece swamp ash. Either white, black or clear. Tort pickguard. 1 P bass pickup, either Fralin, Lollar or the Wizard Trad (sometimes, but not often a J at the bridge too). Badass 3 routing (sometimes Schaller 3d).

J bass neck - Either a nice birdseye maple with ebony board, stainless frets, bone nut, side dots only, satin finish, not sure about decals. Or the Status graphite (which works out cheaper). Traditional Schaller tuners (BMFL?) either way.

Chrome hardware. Straplocks, but again, don't know which. Fun game ain't it?

I started looking at the status neck now too, near enough the same price once you have chosen all your wood and frets and a nut and finish and i know alot of people love em, but how does a status neck feel? Does it feel like a gloss neck (slow) or a satin finished neck (fast)?

Specifications
Model: Standard Thunderbird Bass
Scale: 34 in.
Orientation: Right handed
Wood: $295.00
Core: Mahogany
Control Cavity: Rear Rout+ $0.00
Pickup Rout: Music Man - Music Man+ $0.00
Control Rout: + $0.00
Volume 1 (Thunderbird)
Volume 2 (Thunderbird)
Tone (Thunderbird)
Bridge Type: Hardtail$0.00
Bridge Rout: Bad Ass III - String-Thru Body+ $0.00
Jack Rout: 1/2" (12.70mm) Side Jack Hole
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt+ $0.00
Contours: + $35.00
Contoured Heel
Battery Box: Single Battery Box+ $15.00
Top Finish: Tobacco Burst+ $220.00
Back Finish: Tobacco Burst+ $0.00
Price: $565.00

And then status carbon fibre musicman neck =D.