Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1983 USA Fender P's...

Jigster

[quote name='Jigster' post='840095' date='May 17 2010, 07:50 PM']The 70's seem to get all the attention - would love some thoughts on early 80's Fender P's - back to CBS, thus an upturn in quality? gaining in value maybe as the years tick on?

Any info appreciated[/quote]
Not back to CBS... away from it, in fact.

There was a management buyout, and production was scaled right down. Old parts lying around were used up (hence some bizarre and wonderful hybrids), new things were tried (custom-shop quality Specials, Elites, American Vintage RIs, one-piece J pickgards, new tuners) and the quality is generally great.

The earliest American Vintage RIs are already worth a bomb... the Specials and Elites vary but generally get decent money. The Standards are next in line to start gaining in value... IMO.

I played this & it was fantastic

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/83poly.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/83poly.htm[/url]

Less of a vintage vibe than my 70s bass but I was sorely tempted

I'm sure they will be future classics

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='840266' date='May 17 2010, 10:00 PM']Mr.Classic & Cool seems to have quite a few 80's models knocking around at the moment. Would you guys say that his prices are generally reflective of the market, or is he a little on the over-inflated side?[/quote]
I would say he errs on the 'ambitious' side - I mentioned in another recent BC thread that I was interested some months ago in his '77 oly white P bass - admittedly its in show room condition but it was on sale at the time for £2095 which was at least £500 too high (which I pointed out to him politely). Its still FS on the site several months down the line and he has only shaved the price to £1995 which - beautiful though it is - is still wildly overvalued IMHO

there's an 83 sienna burst on there that's 1,195, what do people feel re. the price of that? this is what got me thinking about this thread, i have a special from 1980 and the build quality is great and the neck so true - there must be some gems out there

[quote name='Jigster' post='840310' date='May 17 2010, 10:29 PM']there's an 83 sienna burst on there that's 1,195, what do people feel re. the price of that? this is what got me thinking about this thread, i have a special from 1980 and the build quality is great and the neck so true - there must be some gems out there[/quote]
To be fair that's not a silly price IMHo, especially as its in nice condition. Maybe I am coloured by the 70s Ps he sells which are over-priced in my view

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='840470' date='May 18 2010, 06:59 AM']I think that "outtoplayjazz" is right. I think that Classic and Cool prices of the late 70's bass guitars are on the high side , but I think that the 80's instruments are closer to current prices. I have met Mark from C&C and he is a great , Honest guy, I think that his instrument descriptions are " true " to the instruments he sells. I have played the 1977 P bass in question ( among others ) as I was interested in buying it ( always fancied white ) when I picked it up I was excited as it is a super light p bass, but when I played it accoustically there was no body resonance at all, very thin sounding. Plugged in it was the same story, all very trebbily sounding with no bottom end. In my opion that bass is very over priced, Mark does have some great bass guitars but you do need to try them before you buy. But I'm sure someone will buy it in the end. Yes the white 1977 white p is in fantastic condition in a desirable custom colour but when you play the bass it is not a £2K Bass. But Mark has done all the leg work of importing most of his instruments and[/quote]

that's a really good insight Chris, the acoustic temperament of a guitar is always important

I've had my Standard 83 P for a few years now and seriously doubt if I will ever sell it. I remember the 70s when nobody wanted the overweight questionable quality stuff that Fender was producing. There was great relief when CBS shed the company and quality again was returned to the brand. I can only assume that the 70s basses that BCers have are the better ones that slipped through. In general I would definitely have to play a 70s bass before I fell into the trap of a dealer making money out of the vintage scam. That being said I would always want to play a bass that I bought unless it was from a BCer. Here's mine:-

Here's mine '83 USA Precision.

like someone said before - it'll never be for sale...I feel the same about mine. Simply the best bass I ever had. (true, I came across one Japan made Fender Jazz recently which is aswell a monster!!! Finally I found jazz which suits to my hands and ears!!!)
back to P bass..it's very light (alder body) with nice thin,narrow,jazz-like neck. feels very light and dry,but with PLENTY of tone. it has Di Marzio pick up,yes, and sounds like punchy loud fat machine. if you can find one like these - get it!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='840266' date='May 17 2010, 10:00 PM']Mr.Classic & Cool seems to have quite a few 80's models knocking around at the moment. Would you guys say that his prices are generally reflective of the market, or is he a little on the over-inflated side?[/quote]

I think to a casual observer he can appear over-inflated (only slightly) but I've spoken to him a couple of times and been to his house / met him etc. He's offers a A1 gold star service with instruments set up how you want, stuff taken apart and he only trades in stuff in top condition. That P-bass Clarky mentions is a shade high but he does other stuff more sensibly. My 1978 P-bass was with original till receipt, still had the old strings and was a musuem piece, all for £1500. It was the condition and the guarentee that I felt came with the price as much as the bass. There were similar basses around but with replacement parts and questionable histories for only a couple of hundred less. He's also a bass player (so rubbish name for the company!) and prefers dealing in basses as opposed to guitars. I bought an Ampeg SVT USA head that I personally thought he'd underpriced but I didn't want to embarass him so just paid what he asked :)

[quote name='Mr Rabble' post='843270' date='May 20 2010, 04:32 PM']From a strictly economic point of view, eighties Fenders are the way to go now to make some profit out of your money[/quote]

This is kind of my thinking also -

cheers for all responses

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='842053' date='May 19 2010, 01:51 PM']I think to a casual observer he can appear over-inflated (only slightly) but I've spoken to him a couple of times and been to his house / met him etc. He's offers a A1 gold star service with instruments set up how you want, stuff taken apart and he only trades in stuff in top condition. That P-bass Clarky mentions is a shade high but he does other stuff more sensibly. My 1978 P-bass was with original till receipt, still had the old strings and was a musuem piece, all for £1500. It was the condition and the guarentee that I felt came with the price as much as the bass. There were similar basses around but with replacement parts and questionable histories for only a couple of hundred less. He's also a bass player (so rubbish name for the company!) and prefers dealing in basses as opposed to guitars. I bought an Ampeg SVT USA head that I personally thought he'd underpriced but I didn't want to embarass him so just paid what he asked :)[/quote]

These are all good points. Today's internet generation seem more intent in the lowest possible price rather than whether an instrument is a good one - or more to the point, the right one for the buyer. As will all Fender's, there are good and bad in all years of production (although the balance was skewed toward bad form mid to late 70's instruments). One of the quotes that stuck in my mind was from John Mayer who said if you play a guitar and it is 'right' then that's the one - don't try and order the same in a different colour as this will not be the same.