Why become a member? ×

Wal Midi Bass 4 String 1991 - Sold Through Bassgear.co.uk

Mr Bassman

Now sold

Little used 1991 Wal Midi 4 in great condition for sale or trade.

American Walnut facings, original Wal grey case, 1u midi interface, pedals and manual.

Looking for trades such as a Gibson archtop single cut jazz guitar or 335 type (not 60's neck profile, the beefier the better), '50's re-issuses considered

or a pre C.B.S. Jazz bass

or a nice double bass (maybe!)

I'd prefer not to ship but will deliver around Yorkshire or meet within 100m from Harrogate, or buyer to arrange collection.

[attachment=49986:4_string...di_front.jpg][attachment=49987:4_string_midi_back.jpg]

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='jsixties' post='840131' date='May 17 2010, 08:15 PM']Awesome and historic Wal.
Can you please give us any guide about how it works and possibilities?[/quote]

I'm going off line in a few minutes but here's a link to Keith Holden's midibass youtube which might help

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/KeithMidiBass"]http://www.youtube.com/user/KeithMidiBass[/url]

cheers

[quote name='BigJim' post='840588' date='May 18 2010, 10:14 AM']How about a 1920 Dresden Flat back?[/quote]

Got any pics?

[quote name='Toasted' post='840592' date='May 18 2010, 10:17 AM']Keith's a great guy and has an incredible collection of basses. Deal in confidence :)[/quote]

Cheers Joe
can I not tempt you? It'd look nice in your pad :rolleyes:

I always wanted one of these Midi Wals but I could never really justify the expense especially since I just got my brand new Wal from Paul.

I hope one of those kids from the Muse does not pick this thing up because it will just push the price of these things through the stratosphere. :)

[quote name='autostop' post='841963' date='May 19 2010, 12:51 PM']no latence or wrong note with this midi system ? cause i never found a good midi bass system[/quote]

As with any instrument it is only as good as the musician playing it.

Good technique and precise fingering are required to avoid wrong notes sounding.

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote]As with any instrument it is only as good as the musician playing it.[/quote]
you're wrong , problem with midi bass is cause of low frequence are not well recognized,i tried roland pickup midi system and that was a real pain with record cleaner (sorry to tell but my technic isnot so bad)

Edited by autostop

[quote name='autostop' post='842406' date='May 19 2010, 07:22 PM']you're wrong , problem with midi bass is cause of low frequence are not well recognized,i tried roland pickup midi system and that was a real pain with record cleaner (sorry to tell but my technic isnot so bad)[/quote]

The Roland midi system has nothing to do with a Wal Midi Bass.

please don't clog up my thread if you are not interested in owning my bass

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='842416' date='May 19 2010, 07:32 PM']The Roland midi system has nothing to do with a Wal Midi Bass.

please don't clog up my thread if you are not interested in owning my bass[/quote]

+1

Bump for a beauty bass! (not that you need it with all this controversy hehe! :))

Is the (midi) note then generated by string contact wtith the fret or is it affected by the right hand plucking as well (amplitude etc?).

The video link didnt really explain anything - it was just that guy plugging himself ( although not with the bass up his a*s :) I hope! )

Also that connector on the back looks in an awkward place.

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='842550' date='May 19 2010, 09:25 PM']Is the (midi) note then generated by string contact wtith the fret or is it affected by the right hand plucking as well (amplitude etc?).

The video link didnt really explain anything - it was just that guy plugging himself ( although not with the bass up his a*s :) I hope! )

Also that connector on the back looks in an awkward place.

BB[/quote]

Hi BB,
taken from the users manual:-

The MB4 Bass Guitar to Midi Interface is a fret contact system, each fret is divided into four (or 5 on a five string) so works like a midi keyboard.

With the Dynamics on (switch to the right)) the synthesizer sound that you are using WILL respond to how hard or soft you pluck the bass strings.

If I ever find the time I could scan the whole manual, but Ive got too much on at the moment but will do my best to answer any questions.

As for the connector on the back, one doesn't really notice it while playing seated or standing, the cable exits close to a normal jack or xlr lead.

Edited by Mr Bassman