Why become a member? ×

how to break in super slinky's quickly?

I dunno why but I prefer the sound of my strings when they've been on for about a month and have been played for over 2 hours a day, literally, right now my jaguar has great sounding strings in my opinion. They are super slinks and compared to when they were new they are thick and full of bass and low mids, this is great as I play with a pick in my band and I hate how brittle new strings sound, even when played with fingers.

So is there a way of killing them quick?

I've got a spare set of regulars to try some ideas on, even if its as simple as opening the crisp packet they insist on putting them in.

Also anyone else like this, I know some people who have the same strings one there guitars/bass for years, im the same my epiphone dot has had the same strings on for over a year and I like it, however some people are anal and change them every 2 weeks!

what about a set of flat wounds? Might be worth trying if you prefer a dull thud as opposed to a toppy ping.

I go slap-tastic in the first couple of weeks of owning a new set then go back to my normal finger style after that and by that point the initial new string brightness has mostly gone but with just enough left not to be completely dead. I don't change strings on my bass very often though. probably only 3-4 times a year.
I change my guitar strings fairly regularly though as dull guitar strings sound rubbish to me.

Edited by TankJon

I don't like rounds sounding too bright either. When I was gigging a lot I used to have two basses on the go, so I could re-string one and not have to gig it until the strings had calmed down a bit. Expensive solution, sorry.

You could maybe ask a local slapper if you can buy his part-used strings. Although slappers IME tend to use really weak gauge girly strings.

I'd agree with the guys and suggest flats. Slinkys have excellent duration wrt tone. I'd say tune em a step high and play like a mofo for as long as possible to get em full of crud. Tune back to your normal key and keep stretching em. They dont die easily though.

Some funny replies.

I've tried flats before, I did like the overall sound but found them slightly stick and not as fast as rounds, I also missed the growls from sliding, which I do too much.

I've since strung my spare bass with a set played it a bit, tuned it a half step higher played and strathed an taken them off and just trying to let them get the air. Hopefully we will see how much it works.

I don't tend to notice that high zing new news have when playing with the band as the guitars generally cancel it out, but it's annoying as he'll when practicing.

Are super slinks a girly gauge? I have doubts on how much bass anything lighter would naturally have.

• 10 months later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='833832' date='May 11 2010, 12:24 AM']Some funny replies.

I've tried flats before, I did like the overall sound but found them slightly stick and not as fast as rounds, I also missed the growls from sliding, which I do too much.

I've since strung my spare bass with a set played it a bit, tuned it a half step higher played and strathed an taken them off and just trying to let them get the air. Hopefully we will see how much it works.

I don't tend to notice that high zing new news have when playing with the band as the guitars generally cancel it out, but it's annoying as hell when practicing.

Are super slinks a girly gauge? I have doubts on how much bass anything lighter would naturally have.[/quote]

Usefull thread, just bought me some today so gonna use that technique myself. Have you solved it now?