Why become a member? ×

"Deacon-ification" Fender CIJ non-export 70's PBass

Dood

Hey all!

Here's a project I have been meaning to finish for ages and have finally gotten round to it! A couple of years ago (I think) I imported a brand new non-export 70's P bass from Ishibashi as I always fancied a PBass like good ole John deacon from Queen. John's two main P basses were a TV script 68 P in sunburst and a 67 P bass with the silver logo and i think came with a natural finish (as I haven't seen it in any other state!). Around the eighties he stripped the sunburst finish off and used the TV script P for "Live at the Bowl" and I think "Live Aid" too. Sometime prior to the subsequent 'Magic' tours the TV script P bass was professionally refinished in black with new gold hardware - and this is the version I wanted to copy most.

My bass arrived with what I would call the 'Phil Lynott' look. Black, with a mirrored guard and chrome hardware. It also features US Vintage pickups along with elephant ear keys with longer stalks than a standard P. I actually prefer that, as I like the keys to stand higher away from the headstock. I always though the musicman keys always looked a bit on the short side! But that's another story!! Unfortunately, that did lead to a bit of a problem locating a set of gold keys that were an exact replacement. Originally I used Schaller BMFL keys - but I didn't like them as they were shorter than the CIJ stock. After a long internet search with the ruler out - I found these fantastic Wilkinson keys that - well - lets say, they look pretty much the same as my bass AND my Fender Jazz Bass Special! - So who knows - Could Wilkinson have made OEMs for these basses?? no idea - anyway, I digress!

The eagle eyed JD geek will notice that my bridge is not the same as his. If you really *must* know - his is a Schaller 3D - mine is a Gotoh clone - and a really rather good one, I am so impressed.

I only planned to do all the hardware you can see, but Nigel 'BumNote' very kindly sent me a gold neck plate as well, which looks great and really finshes the look off.

Ok, pictures then?

The aim:

Stock CIJ with mirrored guard:-

I managed to get a perfect fitting black guard in a swap with a fellow BCer:-

Before and after on the tuning key swap. You can see the the CIJ keys have a longer stalk generally and the gold key I added to compare matches exactly:-
[attachment=49230:1.jpg]

[attachment=49231:2.jpg]

[attachment=49232:3.jpg]

Well lookie here! That's a substantial bridge! There's a difference in tone and it was immediately noticeable acoustically.
[attachment=49233:4.jpg]

And finally - all together a big thank you to everyone who helped and offered advice.
[attachment=49234:5.JPG]

[attachment=49235:6.JPG]

[attachment=49236:7.JPG]

[attachment=49237:8.JPG]

Job to do: The gold ferulles for the tuning keys were far larger than the holes in the headstock - and it's not a job I fancied undertaking myself to make them fit - so I'll have that sorted out later. I bet if I didn't mention no one would have noticed in the pic?! :))

See ya!

[quote name='Jono' post='831749' date='May 8 2010, 08:50 PM']Nice one!

Seeing John playing that bass on 'Another One Bites the Dust' at Wembley '86 is probably the reason I play bass... What a tone!

Jono[/quote]

Snap! It was the first *proper* Bass Line I ever learnt!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='831803' date='May 8 2010, 10:28 PM']Are you going to get the hair & jacket as well?[/quote]
Nah, Leo Sayer bought those

On topic, thats a great job you've done there, Dood

[quote name='dood' post='831592' date='May 8 2010, 05:11 PM']Job to do: The gold ferulles for the tuning keys were far larger than the holes in the headstock - and it's not a job I fancied undertaking myself to make them fit - so I'll have that sorted out later. I bet if I didn't mention no one would have noticed in the pic?! :rolleyes:)[/quote]

And the jack-socket :)

Seriously though, that is a nice job you've done there Dan

Awwww! Guys! Thank you for the kind words. I'm really pleased with the look. Black and gold just looks so good! - I'm going to treat you to a little video when I can get a camera sorted properly.

oh and yes, the Jack socket! I'll go find a gold one he he - well spotted!

Here's my own Deacy tribute:

[b]Ingredients[/b]

1 Squier Affinity Black P-Bass - £99 from Big Deal (RIP) in Sheffield. Secondhand but in as new condition.
1 chrome Schaller 3D Bridge - £30 from a fellow BC'er.
1 black scratchplate bought from the internet - approx £10.
1 set of Rotosound jazz bass flatwounds as per the man - approx £25.

Total cost approx £165.

Sounds surprisingly good. Couldn't justify the extra cost of going for gold hardware but I reckon the average punter wouldn't notice. The bridge was worth every penny of the £30. The piece of tin that was originally on there was 'weight saving' to say the least.

Close up showing the Schaller bridge (excellent bridge - 'nice action...very nice action' as Alan Partridge would say):

Seems like I unwittingly have one as well! :)
My A series (SQ spec.) 1985 Japanese Squier:

[url="http://img249.imageshack.us/i/fullfront.jpg/"][/url]

Which I noticed last night is a slab board......which is nice lol

Si

[quote name='Jono' post='832217' date='May 9 2010, 02:23 PM']dammit - just remembered the 2 blue picks slipped under the scratchplate at Wembley - should have added those in my pic![/quote]

Good point! I have blue pics - just not the same ones as JD's