Why become a member? ×

The World’s First Fretted / Fretless String Instrument

beerdragon

It works on the basis of rotating the frets around. Good point about the fret wear but if the frets are made from stainless steel then they are unlikely to wear quickly. The biggest issue for me would be consistency in the action of the strings between both modes. If you set the action for fretted mode then it will be the height of the frets too high when in fretless mode.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='825209' date='May 1 2010, 10:37 PM']It works on the basis of rotating the frets around. Good point about the fret wear but if the frets are made from stainless steel then they are unlikely to wear quickly. The biggest issue for me would be consistency in the action of the strings between both modes. If you set the action for fretted mode then it will be the height of the frets too high when in fretless mode.[/quote]

Of course having both options on one bass will result in a compromise one way or another but I still think it's a cool idea. I once asked Paul Reed Smith to make one, this was 16 years ago, and he told me where to get off...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='825263' date='May 1 2010, 11:33 PM']Of course having both options on one bass will result in a compromise one way or another but I still think it's a cool idea.[/quote]
I can think of at least one way to partially solve the problem.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='825263' date='May 1 2010, 11:33 PM']I once asked Paul Reed Smith to make one, this was 16 years ago, and he told me where to get off...[/quote]
Obviously he has better things to do. :)

[quote name='Alien' post='825029' date='May 1 2010, 06:30 PM']Been around since the '80s. I recall a guy giving one a right slapping on Tomorrow's World.

A[/quote]
Holy crap I remember watchin that as a nipper b4 taking up bass and yeh he was givin it a good slappin,on the fretless setting I think! Wander if you could still find it somewhere?