Why become a member? ×

Any decent guitar shops in Edinburgh?

Metalmoore

I am thinking about going to Edinburgh (less than an hour for me and i also have a mate up there i could grab a few pints with while im at it :) ) to try out some 5ers to see what feels right. So is there any decent guitar shops over to the East that stock 5 strings as i cant find many in sunny glasgow at the moment.

Cheers, Andrew

There's Red Dog down the Grassmarket that used to be Sound Control and then there's the other place in Ocean Terminal I think.

That one is run by a former band mate of mine Jon Clark or it may be his son. Same guy that has mijfenders.com

I've never been in either so couldn't tell you.

And one more vote for Glasgow - you have GuitarGuitar, The Guitar Store who sometimes have some unusual second hand stuff, Merchant City Music, McCormacks and there are one or 2 on Great Western Road somewhere

[quote name='Delberthot' post='820316' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:45 AM']There's Red Dog down the Grassmarket that used to be Sound Control and then there's the other place in Ocean Terminal I think.

That one is run by a former band mate of mine Jon Clark or it may be his son. Same guy that has mijfenders.com

I've never been in either so couldn't tell you.

And one more vote for Glasgow - you have GuitarGuitar, The Guitar Store who sometimes have some unusual second hand stuff, Merchant City Music, McCormacks and there are one or 2 on Great Western Road somewhere[/quote]

Just realising the OP is from Glasgow. Guitar Guitar is normally a pretty good bet for 5 string stuff.

So over here in the east side you've got the aforementioned GuitarGuitar int he west side of town, then you've got Red Dog Music in the Grassmarket, reasonable selection and top location next to lots of pubs. The shop in Ocean Terminal is called Imported Instruments, but has got very little bass gear. Also of interest are Live Music and Scayles, both just off Clerk st, still central. There are other smaller ones which i forgot.
GuitarGuitar is going to have the most basses, especially 5 strings, RedDog music probably the most amps and cabs and the best location :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='820316' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:45 AM']That one is run by a former band mate of mine Jon Clark or it may be his son. Same guy that has mijfenders.com[/quote]
Small world - I know Jon Clark & have met his son a couple of times. I didn't know he was connected with the Ocean Terminal shop. Not seen Jon for a good few years.

J.