Why become a member? ×

Oh dear...

99ster

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-VERY-Early-serial-No-701503_W0QQitemZ230192422921QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-BAS...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I could write a huge list of reasons why this isn't a "An EXCEPTIONALLY RARE" 1962 Precision - but helpfully he's added the 6 digit serial number (701503) for his butchered 1976 Precision all over the listing.
Whoooops.
:)

Fair play to the guy - I sent him a message telling him it was definitely not a 62-63 P bass & he has changed the listing...
And it's probably not a bad 70's P bass - just needs a bit of work to get it back to how it should be - get the holes for the active stuff filled, replace all that nasty gold hardware...

That hole on the edge looks very much like it's been for a jack socket - I can't think of a reason why a P would have that done, other than using the original jack hole in the plate for an additional pot - perhaps because of an extra pickup. Makes me very worried what kind of nightmare excavation might be hidden under the scratchplate.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='89334' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:34 PM']That hole on the edge looks very much like it's been for a jack socket - I can't think of a reason why a P would have that done, other than using the original jack hole in the plate for an additional pot - perhaps because of an extra pickup. Makes me very worried what kind of nightmare excavation might be hidden under the scratchplate.

Jon.[/quote]

If he lets it go for under £500 then it would be a good project bass. Stick a jazz pickup in it and either go for vol/vol/tone with a side mounted jack, or go the whole hog and bung a nice Audere 3Z preamp in it.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='89343' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:40 PM']If he lets it go for under £500 then it would be a good project bass. Stick a jazz pickup in it and either go for vol/vol/tone with a side mounted jack, or go the whole hog and bung a nice Audere 3Z preamp in it.[/quote]

If you take a good look at one of the photos, you'll see that there is a distinct reflection of light between the nut and the first fret that is absent from the rest of the neck. It may not be the case, but the last time I saw light reflect like that off a neck the truss rod had gone and there was a distinct deviation from true between the first and second frets. The neck in that instance was unplaybale and required some substantial amount of money to be spent to make it so. Given that you can get good and unmutilated 70's Fenders for a crackingly good price at the moment, I wouldn't go near this one even if it were £300, as I suspect it would cost a significant amount more than that to get it right.
As I say, I may be wrong
Chris

It's funny how he can pinpoint the year that the machineheads were changed but, oh, erm, can't, erm, remember, what year his brother-in-law bought it. The bass that the brother-in-law's had from new. Perhaps he could just ask him?

It's not as though he was trying to make out it was super rare or anything. Saying that, Fender Ps with gold hardware and a whopping great chunk out of them, are hard to find...

Edited by stingrayfan

He seems to have routed the battery compartment on the back of the bass at a very random angle and position! Obviously he has to avoid the control rout but you'd have thought he could get it squared off. I'm not so worried about the reflection on the neck that Chris refers to but shouldn't the fingerboard have weathered and aged the same colour as the headstock? I realise that due to it being maple it is a heavily lacquered fingerboard but surely it shouldn't be so anemic compared to the headstock. Active electronics... so the chances of that being the original pup and controls would be slim. I know it's pretty immaterial (especially to its value) as it's hardly going to be making collectors lose sleep but it does seem a bit of a dog's dinner.

Wonder what his reserve is?

I remember reading that a lot of 70's maple neck fenders have the different shade to the headstock and neck because it's a different lacquer used on each for some reason.

that scratchplate is a replacement- it isn't a 70's one- there should be an extra screw in the middle near the pickup.

the body looks like it's been refinished.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='89846' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:34 PM']I'm not so worried about the reflection on the neck that Chris refers to but shouldn't the fingerboard have weathered and aged the same colour as the headstock?
Wonder what his reserve is?[/quote]
Nope - Because the finish goes over the decal, during that period they used Nitro laquer just on the front of the headstock which tends to yellow with age.