Why become a member? ×

'Retro' P Bass options

HarryPotter

Right guys, I've recently become a part of an Oasis tribute band (stop sniggering at the back!) and my Marcus Miller IV doesn't really fit in with the bands sound.

Basically the answer seems to be obvious - a P bass (my MM is used for other bands so modifying / upgrading doesn't really seem feasible).

So what I'm after are options and opinions on something that fits the following bill:

P Bass style and shape
3TS finish
RW neck

I'd have ordered a Roadworn but the P doesn't come with a RW neck option and I doubt any Roadworn Jazz owners would want to swop their neck with the baseball bat off of the P :)

Yes, I like the relic look - it kinda fits in with the image of the band, but equally I'm happy to let the ageing happen naturally.

Price wise I'm fairly easy, say up to and including an American Standard price, so chaps what should I be considering?

Used is an option but I'd need to get a big piggy bank and start saving :-P

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='808203' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:22 AM']That's a possibility, I've always loved every tele bass I've ever tried (alright it's only 2 or 3 but the signs are good).[/quote]

Good call.

[url="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/85849755/Redferns"]http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/85849755/Redferns[/url]

[quote name='JTUK' post='808213' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:31 AM']I'd bin the band rather than the bass, personally.

:) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

A wise man once said 'opinions are like bumholes, everybodys got one and most of them stink' :lol:

10 years ago I hated Oasis, I've warmed to them in the last few years, I used to do the sound for this (covers) band before they split up and now they've 'reformed' again.

And it has to be said very few things can get a reaction out of a pub style crowd like an Oasis song going full bore, and a crowd buzzing its tits off is, to me, what giggings all about.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='808281' date='Apr 16 2010, 12:19 PM']A wise man once said 'opinions are like bumholes, everybodys got one and most of them stink' :)

10 years ago I hated Oasis, I've warmed to them in the last few years, I used to do the sound for this (covers) band before they split up and now they've 'reformed' again.

And it has to be said very few things can get a reaction out of a pub style crowd like an Oasis song going full bore, and a crowd buzzing its tits off is, to me, what giggings all about.[/quote]

And you can easily play an Oasis bass line after a few jars or ale.

Fine..I'd play the bass MM 5 and stop pretending to be Oasis.

Don't get me wrong, he wrote a few classics but every band knocks them out and they can be great pub tunes but why buy a bass just to look the part..

But I'm out, as I don't get tribute bands.

[quote name='JTUK' post='808441' date='Apr 16 2010, 02:20 PM']Fine..I'd play the bass MM 5 and stop pretending to be Oasis.

Don't get me wrong, he wrote a few classics but every band knocks them out and they can be great pub tunes but why buy a bass just to look the part..

But I'm out, as I don't get tribute bands.[/quote]

Dude I wasn't having a pop, sorry if it sounded that way.

But it's each to their own, I don't 'get' jazz myself :).

Peace :rolleyes:

:) sure.

Compromise, get a decent jazz that works on other gigs and tell the band that that is the bass he should have played but Noel insisted on the retro thing.

How about a relic'd jazz..?

On a wider note and this might be heresy but aren't P-Basses rather limited..??
Great sound in itself..or can be...but that is it.

[quote name='JTUK' post='809231' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:39 AM']:) sure.

Compromise, get a decent jazz that works on other gigs and tell the band that that is the bass he should have played but Noel insisted on the retro thing.

How about a relic'd jazz..?

On a wider note and this might be heresy but aren't P-Basses rather limited..??
Great sound in itself..or can be...but that is it.[/quote]

I think in the spirit of true compromise the op should get a Fender 51RI, a Highway One Precision and a Road Worn Jazz.

[quote name='Alfie' post='809234' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:44 AM']I think in the spirit of true compromise the op should get a Fender 51RI, a Highway One Precision and a Road Worn Jazz.[/quote]

and get the band to chip in.... put it down as band wardrobe

Edited by JTUK

it depends how much it bothers you about having the right bass

I played a black Stingray 5 string in my Sabbath tribute band and a Sonic blue fretless 5 string T-bass in my Rainbow one

It depends on how much use you are going to get out of it - you could always buy a cheapy and a set of decent pickups that you could remove if you sell the bass on.

For half the price of an Am Std you could have this vgc sunburst Highway 1 on eBay (I''d swap the s/p for a tort one for true retro cred).

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Highway-One-Precision-Bass-3-Colour-Sunburst-USA_W0QQitemZ110520653512QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item19bb8b56c8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Highway-One-P...=item19bb8b56c8[/url]

I used to have one of these and I thought the standard - though inevitably not as high as on an Am Std - was really pretty good. It will also relic quickly due to very thin nitro finish. Then you haven't had the most massive outlay for the band and you can spend £400-500 on something else!

[quote name='JTUK' post='808441' date='Apr 16 2010, 02:20 PM']Fine..I'd play the bass MM 5 and stop pretending to be Oasis.

But I'm out, as I don't get tribute bands.[/quote]

I'd see it as an opportunity to get another bass and let's face it P Basses are great