Why become a member? ×

Tilt Back Combos. What's good?

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' post='803634' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:45 PM']There seems to be a few giggable tilt-back combos about - Hartke, Mark Bass, GK

What's good? I really like the idea so I get more use as a monitor and can easily see the controls. Are there others I should be looking at?[/quote]
Although it's a one trick pony soundwise I love the fat sound from my H+K QC 415. It a tilt back wedge design, has 15" neo eminence speaker and weigths about 24kg. Very easy to handle on stage. Because it already has the sound I want I just left the EQ flat for most of my gigs.

Markbass 102 combo..features two 10's that have real depth and the LMll amp..

This is a great standalone combo IMV..and if you wanted to add another 8 ohm cab, you'd be able to get 500watts or thereabouts..
It is pretty light as well....

[quote name='JTUK' post='803683' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:29 PM']Markbass 102 combo..features two 10's that have real depth and the LMll amp..

This is a great standalone combo IMV..and if you wanted to add another 8 ohm cab, you'd be able to get 500watts or thereabouts..
It is pretty light as well....[/quote]

+1....you cannot go wrong.

I can't recommend the Markbass CMD 102p high enough.
I used it without going thru pa at a gig of @ 300 folk & both gain & volume knobs was set at 9 o'clock & was told I was too loud! Plenty of bass & never ceases to amaze me.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='803788' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:41 AM']I can't recommend the Markbass CMD 102p high enough.
I used it without going thru pa at a gig of @ 300 folk & both gain & volume knobs was set at 9 o'clock & was told I was too loud! Plenty of bass & never ceases to amaze me.[/quote]

+1000......another 102p convert. The best combo I've ever used.

I use a GK 700RB-II into a 210RBH cab, this setup's available as a combo with the added advantage of pop out wheels. Sounds great and as a combo I don't think you could go wrong if that's what you're after.

A1+ the 700RB 210 combo is amazing, relatively light weight plus wheels and a pull out handle. You can always add a second cab, 210 / 410/ 115 etc.

Edited by gelfin

The tecamp combos have a little leg that clips to the back when not in use, that lets you angle the amp back a very useful amount.

Alternatively, for my trusty little Electric Blue I bought something very similar to one of these:
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5498"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5498[/url]

Folds away much smaller and is much lighter than typical Quiklok amp stands, and the amp is still close to the floor (helps with LF coupling). Plus, unlike a tilt back combo, it has multiple tilt positions which is handy for standing different distances from your amp e.g. on different sized stages. Also it has a top that'll accept a mic boom arm so it can double as a space-saving mic stand for the combo.
I've found it a very useful piece of kit for both bass gigs and when doing sound for bands with guitar combos - really gets it in their ears and they can often turn down so you have a more controlled FoH sound.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='803634' date='Apr 12 2010, 12:45 PM']There seems to be a few giggable tilt-back combos about - Hartke, Mark Bass, GK

What's good? I really like the idea so I get more use as a monitor and can easily see the controls. Are there others I should be looking at?[/quote]
I've just bought a Hartke Hydrive 112C from Academy of Sound - just £355 online purchase.
I think Bass Merchant have its big brother the Hydrive 115C for about £100 more, and there's a used one on eBay too at present .
Good power output at 250watts through the internal speaker (no option of an extra cab though). Even the 112C seems to sound fairly crisp with the low B of a 5-string at moderate volume.
Tone shaping possibilities are pretty impressive, but I found just using the treble and bass contour controls enough to get a good sound quickly.
Moderately compact too - at the curent prices they seem really good value, even just to use as a floor monitor linked to another amp.