Why become a member? ×

Earth, Wind & Fire

Pete Academy

Saw them way back with Fred White on drums and Verdine on bass..... totally underwhelmed at the time as I recall.
Fred White played straight 4's all night and the bass was mush... but agree the mix at Wembley arena wouldn't have been helpful back then.

Horns..?? amazing..!!!

I do recall seeing Verdine on a bass Masterclass video... with the like of Ready Freddie, Byron MIller, Louis J, Neil Stubenhaus, Abe L, Larry G etc etc...and he was not good in that context all all...
I mean why do a bass master class series and sound sh*te....
I never forget that... and I imagine it must have taken eons to get those studio grooves down if that was anything to go by...

So... on the track...the end result sounds great but ....??????

I am sure I could dig out the VHS tapes ....

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='802134' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:06 PM']I discovered the 'That's The Way Of The World' album when it first came out. Changed my bass playing life.

I saw them live in 76 supporting my favourite band, Santana, and they just stole the show.[/quote]

Pete, We saw that tour/concert as well. They absolutely buried Santana. I loved their stage show as well. They were members of the Magic Circle and some of the "tricks" were amazing.
Oh, and Verdine White is up in the top division.
Have seen them about 5 or 6 times.

Talking about stealing shows, James Brown made Red Hot Chilli Peppers look 2nd rate when I caught them in Manchester.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' post='802162' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:29 PM']Pete, I saw that tour/concert as well. They absolutely buried Santana. I loved their stage show as well. They were members of the Magic Circle and some of the "tricks" were amazing.
Oh, and Verdine White is up in the top division.
Have seen them about 5 or 6 times.

Talking about stealing shows, James Brown made Red Hot Chilli Peppers look 2nd rate when I caught them in Manchester.[/quote]

Wow, didn't think anyone else had caught that!. :)

Verdine is an amazing player. For all the gigs I did see during the 70s, sadly, I didn't make it to an EWF gig. Nor Santana, come to that. How did that happen? :) :lol:
And these were -- and still are -- among my all-time favourite bands.
The album 'That's The Way Of The World' was my first taste of EWF too. Still sounds just as good today.
(Not meaning to divert from the OP, but I can't forget Tower of Power, too! :rolleyes: )

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='802134' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:06 PM']I discovered the 'That's The Way Of The World' album when it first came out. Changed my bass playing life.

I saw them live in 76 supporting my favourite band, Santana, and they just stole the show.[/quote]

I REALLY must get my glasses updated - completely missed the t in this post and thought Pete had gone WAY off topic!

Seriously, I'm so envious of those of you who saw them back then - I couldn't get tickets for one of the London shows then somehow missed them on subsequent visits. Did see Santana though - only gig I've ever left early!!

Edited by Mykesbass

The album and single, 'Shining Star', had made No1 in the US charts. Their sound was so unique.

Carlos was touring a relatively small lineup (Leon 'Ndugu' Chancler was on drums), and although they sounded great, they just couldn't match the sound and energy from EWF. I saw the Manchester show first and then Liverpool the week after. At Manchester Carlos's Mesa Boogie combo was playing up, so he didn't have a good gig.

When discussing his live solos at later gigs, which were massive arenas, Verdine said it was pointless playing anything clever, as it would be lost to such a massive crowd, so he did some kind of theatrics instead, like levitating etc.

In other interviews, Verdine revealed that the meticulous groove and feel didn't come instantly in the studio, but was the result of maybe weeks of rehearsal.

For me, they lost their way when they started using drum machines and bass synth. I've seen later live conderts on DVD and it's often doubtful Verdine is actually playing. I also can't bring myself to go and see them live nowadays, as the great Maurice White no longer tours.

It's hard to name a favourite track but Getaway, and Africano stand out. Shining Star is also a masterclass of funk bass, with its unusual note choices in the choruses.

Still on the subject of EWF, this might also be of interest to some.
Back in the 70s I bought an LP by Jazz singer Carmen McRae called 'Can't Hide Love' (Bluenote, 1976).
It was her bid to put out more of a 'crossover' album at the time and I spotted it and subsequently bought it on the strength of the title track being an EWF cover.
Also the fact that the album line-up of musicians included Joe Sample, Wilton Felder, Harvey Mason, Larry Carlton, Dave Grusin, Ernie Watkins and others (though not all of them were on the title track itself).
I just dug out the album for a reminder as to who played bass. For most of the album it was Chuck Berghofer.

I managed to catch Ms. McRae at a very memorable gig at Ronnie Scott's around 1976/77 when she was touring here with her own small Jazz group.
It was nice to hear her do 'Can't Hide Love' live. (I've also never forgotten an amazing scat version of 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' she did with just the drummer).
Thanks to the wonder of Youtube, someone else has already put this up...

[quote name='JTUK' post='803338' date='Apr 12 2010, 07:25 AM']Ernie watts, you mean... ?? He would have been about the top tenor player at that time..
along with Brecker and Scott.[/quote]
DOH! Quite right, sir. :)
I wouldn't mind but, as mentioned in my previous post, I dug out the actual album to check other credits and although I read Ernie Watts, for some reason wrote Ernie Watkins.
I really must stop posting in the early hours! :rolleyes:

I grew up listening to EWF. I still practice to their greatest hits CD. Great music.

You can really hear Verdine and Maurice pushing and pulling a lot in those recordings. It's what makes many of the grooves.

I met the Phoenix Horns when I was a kid flying to Colorado and they where on our plane. They looked familiar and as I got closer I saw the EWF tour jackets and horn cases. I was star struck :)