Why become a member? ×

What do you do when.......

JMT3781

[quote name='BigRedX' post='798976' date='Apr 7 2010, 05:32 PM']I've been in a similar situation a couple of years back. On reaching the chorus of a rather under-rehearsed cover of "The One I Love" my mind went completely blank. I played a series of notes that were patently wrong and decided that maybe the guitar chords would give me a clue. Looked round at the guitarist to see what he was playing so at least I could busk through some root notes, only to see him frantically tuning up, as he assumed that the out of tuneness was his fault and not because I'd lost the plot![/quote]

Ha.. yeah. This is something commonly (albeit not fondly) known as a train-wreck. Someone loses the plot, not neccessarily the bassist mind, and it sets off a chain of events which is usually irretrievable, sounds like a bucket o spanners falling down the stairs... So, bassist looks blankly at geetar-man, he stares back... drummer is still staring into space anyway! It usually ends when someone just ignores everyone else, blags his way through and the sheep follow.
Great fun!

Edited by Musicman69

I usually try a note that I think it is, I know the keys of the song so it's usually in key even if it's the wrong note. Every so often it's the next note in the key so it does sound off, but it's rare. It's only if I'm bored or severely under rehearsed that it's a problem.

Got a gig on Sat with a band I haven't played with in 5 months (not JWP in my sig), only had 3 practices before that gig and run through the set once and a half this time. Going to be hitting lots of jazz notes I fear. Most of the songs are just one bar repeated though so I'm not too concerned about it.

I was given a good piece of advice at my first real gig (by the sound guy - Eel pie island, and a great guitar player too).

He said "If you play a wrong note, play it twice, and everyone will be astonished at the way you created an amazing turning point in the music."

But this is bass, so like someone said, no-one will notice anyway. :)

I just extend the fill slightly. It works because I do alot of jazz gigs so the rest of the
band think I am doing some clever jazz sh*t and don't ask questions.
The funny thing is,if I actually do know where I am,but try some rehamonising or
chord invertions,that's usually when I get funny looks from guitar players.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='800074' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:03 PM']I usually try a note that I think it is, I know the keys of the song so it's usually in key even if it's the wrong note.[/quote]

That must be reassuring to the rest of your band. :)

Garry

just completely stop, flip all your band mates off, wait until they look at you in complete and utter shock and then proceed to walk out, befuddling everyone in the room

nah, when i do a monster fill it's guaranteed that i'm gonna forget the next part, so i always make sure to know what key i'm in and what notes work well, so i can just mess around with it until i remember. quite a lot of the songs i've played live have been in C, and the low e string always works wonders over anything. of course this is only temporary, the way to truly overcome it is to premeditate where you're gonna do the fills, and possibly the phrasing ie. knowing that it's gonna land nicely into the next section.

sorry for the weird post, i'm sleep deprived :)