Why become a member? ×

Doe a bass tutorial book exist that isn't dry as an old stick?

Clarky

I am rubbish at theory and have a large pile of books at home that I thought at various times would help me through the maze. Trouble is they are all as dull as ditch-water and I give up faster than you can say E flat minor seventh. Take Chuck Rainey's tutor book (called something like Modern Bass Guitar or Electric Bass Guitar). It simply includes pages upon pages of scales, arpeggios etc with no musical context.

Does anyone know of a bass tutorial book that could actually make this stuff fun by bringing in real life applications. By which I mean, perhaps showing a scale, relating it to the composition and melody or bass line of a well-known track, then taking variations to show how it could be applied in different styles?

When jakesbass did a tutorial at the SE BassBash last year he did something along these lines and it was very inspiring - unfortunately all I can remember of his talk now is his enthusiasm, ability and that awesome Alembic!

Edit: I know lessons from a good tutor would help but I have very little time as I leave the house for work at 6am, get home 7.30pm-ish and have a wife and three kids to amuse/deal with etc (as well as BassChat to stare at endleessly). Practically speaking I couldn't do more than one maybe two lessons a month

Edited by Clarky

Clarky
I'm trying very hard to make my Bass Boot Camp Sessions (on this forum) as un-dry as I can !

But it's quite tricky to get the information across without getting bogged down.

The problem with theory is that you sort of need to know it all before it makes proper sense.

Also anyone writing a book has to assume the reader knows very little so every detail has to be explained in full, making it very dull for someone with a bit of knowledge.

I'm hoping that by putting up mp3s of each example in my Sessions, those that don't want to plough through the explanations will have something to play along with.

And I know full well that reading music is a problem for many players. Hopefully by listening to the mp3s and reading the part at the same time, some of you out there will find that reading is not as frightening as you may think.

I'm trying to hone my skills with theoretical explanations. Do let me know if there is anything i can do to make things more easy to understand.

The Major

Can you stomach jazz? Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland is pretty good. It basically teaches students how to construct bebop style walking bass lines using chord and scale tones. All the lines in the book are accompanied by a full band and could be used in any elevator music style background. The point is it teaches how to analyse bass lines and construct bass lines in a more chordal way (as opposed to just learning scales like many theory books teach). You may not feel as though your sitting down and learning endless chord and scale constructions, but at the end you'll have learn't it all through playing the songs with out noticing if that makes sense. Its a series of books too which get harder.

The only gripe is you have to sit down and listen to lines by ear and transpose them as standard notation, which is great for learning, but it needs a good hour of uninterrupted practice and most of it will be spent NOT playing. I've only managed half the book because I have a new born, but i'll get back into to it soon. I go through phases of learning and theory isn't one of them at the moment.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='792035' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:23 PM']Can you stomach jazz? [color="#800080"]Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland[/color] is pretty good. It basically teaches students how to construct bebop style walking bass lines using chord and scale tones. All the lines in the book are accompanied by a full band and could be used in any elevator music style background. The point is it teaches how to analyse bass lines and construct bass lines in a more chordal way (as opposed to just learning scales like many theory books teach). You may not feel as though your sitting down and learning endless chord and scale constructions, but at the end you'll have learn't it all through playing the songs with out noticing if that makes sense. Its a series of books too which get harder.

The only gripe is you have to sit down and listen to lines by ear and transpose them as standard notation, which is great for learning, but it needs a good hour of uninterrupted practice and most of it will be spent NOT playing. I've only managed half the book because I have a new born, but i'll get back into to it soon. I go through phases of learning and theory isn't one of them at the moment.[/quote]

Hi El Bajo,

I bought the book you mention [color="#800080"]Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland[/color] some 18 months ago; took one look inside and filed it under 'one day Thomas'; that day arrived last Monday and I'm enjoying the experience. If, like myself, other 'ear playing' Basschaters out there have decided that reading is the way forward for them I'd recommend they have a look at this book.

I'm also keenly awaiting the reading course / instructions that our very own Major Minor has in the pipeline, he's taken a lot of interest in the views of readers and non-readers on this site, I'm sure the insight gained will reflect in his publication.

Oggy :)

Clarky ,

have you thought about this

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Lane-Music-Learn-Metallica/dp/B00144F01A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1270049594&sr=8-1-fkmr1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Lane-Music-...mp;sr=8-1-fkmr1[/url]

I thought it was quite good - but it is basic and the examples are short

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='792121' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:35 PM']Clarky ,

have you thought about this

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Lane-Music-Learn-Metallica/dp/B00144F01A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1270049594&sr=8-1-fkmr1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Lane-Music-...mp;sr=8-1-fkmr1[/url]

I thought it was quite good - but it is basic and the examples are short[/quote]
Thanks T13, got it but as you say the examples are very short and they are pretty riff based

Regarding other replies, many thanks to all. I will take at look at your posts M-M but I was really looking for a book that, when not practising from, I could take to read on my nearly hour long journey to/from work. And the Building Jazz Lines sounds like it would be pretty heavy going as I can't read the dots (and prefer rock to jazz!) - probably great for a facile reader but maybe a step too far for me (was hoping something tab based, preferably).

[quote name='Clarky' post='791384' date='Mar 31 2010, 12:09 AM']I am rubbish at theory and have a large pile of books at home that I thought at various times would help me through the maze. Trouble is they are all as dull as ditch-water and I give up faster than you can say E flat minor seventh. Take Chuck Rainey's tutor book (called something like Modern Bass Guitar or Electric Bass Guitar). It simply includes pages upon pages of scales, arpeggios etc with no musical context.

Does anyone know of a bass tutorial book that could actually make this stuff fun by bringing in real life applications. By which I mean, perhaps showing a scale, relating it to the composition and melody or bass line of a well-known track, then taking variations to show how it could be applied in different styles?

When jakesbass did a tutorial at the SE BassBash last year he did something along these lines and it was very inspiring - unfortunately all I can remember of his talk now is his enthusiasm, ability and that awesome Alembic!

[b]Edit: I know lessons from a good tutor would help but I have very little time as I leave the house for work at 6am, get home 7.30pm-ish and have a wife and three kids to amuse/deal with etc (as well as BassChat to stare at endleessly). Practically speaking I couldn't do more than one maybe two lessons a month[/b][/quote]

I'd go for a lesson a month if that's all you can fit in. I'm in a similar situation, I'd love to have lessons but can't fit them in.
As for books it's really trial and error. Sometimes because you can't ask questions it can cause a fair deal of confusion.

I've got a couple of books that use short exerts as examples.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Handbook-Complete-Mastering-Guitar/dp/0879308729/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270050858&sr=8-6"]Adrian Ashton's Bass Handbook[/url]

and

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270050945&sr=1-1"]Hal Leonard's Bass Method[/url]

The start very simple, the Adrian Ashton book has a few longer examples to practice with. They're OK. But probably no more interesting than you've already got. I've also got Bass Guitar for Dummies but I don't use it. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='792133' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:39 PM']Regarding other replies, many thanks to all. I will take at look at your posts M-M but I was really looking for a book that, when not practising from, I could take to read on my nearly hour long journey to/from work. And the Building Jazz Lines sounds like it would be pretty heavy going as I can't read the dots (and prefer rock to jazz!) - probably great for a facile reader but maybe a step too far for me (was hoping something tab based, preferably).[/quote]
Clarky
Just to be clear - I'm trying to cover lots of styles and genres in the Boot Camp Sessions. You might need to delve through to find stuff that you feel is relevant to yourself. And its not graded - I'm just dipping in and out at differing levels of difficulty.

I've just started work on some "Getting Started with Music Reading" sessions. I'm designing these for people who can already play, but need to have practice at easy reading, to familiarise themselves with the dots at basic level. I hope you will look out for these sessions - coming soon !

The Major

[quote name='Oggy' post='792081' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:08 PM']Hi El Bajo,

I bought the book you mention [color="#800080"]Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland[/color] some 18 months ago; took one look inside and filed it under 'one day Thomas'; that day arrived last Monday and I'm enjoying the experience. If, like myself, other 'ear playing' Basschaters out there have decided that reading is the way forward for them I'd recommend they have a look at this book.

I'm also keenly awaiting the reading course / instructions that our very own Major Minor has in the pipeline, he's taken a lot of interest in the views of readers and non-readers on this site, I'm sure the insight gained will reflect in his publication.

Oggy :)[/quote]

Just to make sure. Does [b]Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland[/b] have music in [u]bass clef [/u]and not [u]treble clef [/u]? (I understand there are no bass [i]tabs[/i] which im fine with)

[quote name='daz' post='792304' date='Mar 31 2010, 07:07 PM']Just to make sure. Does [b]Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland[/b] have music in [u]bass clef [/u]and not [u]treble clef [/u]? (I understand there are no bass [i]tabs[/i] which im fine with)[/quote]

Hi daz,

It's all about the 'bass clef', gets the grey matter going :wacko:. If you have patience and know where the notes are on the fret board (more or less, I've got better at it doing this) you'll make quite rapid progress.

I'm actually enjoying it, it's available from Amazon - [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Walking-Bass-Lines-Friedland/dp/0793542049/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1270106035&sr=1-1-fkmr0"]Amazon Link[/url].

I've had a few goes at using TAB based books, I found it usefull for getting bits and pieces but I can't see anyone sticking a few sheets on a music stand and playing / reading it cold - perhaps I'm wrong on that though.

Have a good one.

Oggy :)

• 4 weeks later...

Try this book - All about bass.
It has plenty of great stuff is fun and has loads of real world examples of hoe to implement the theory

[url="http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Bass-Simple-Playing/dp/1423408179"]http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Bass-Simpl...g/dp/1423408179[/url]

[quote name='rjs' post='818181' date='Apr 25 2010, 04:43 PM']Try this book - All about bass.
It has plenty of great stuff is fun and has loads of real world examples of hoe to implement the theory

[url="http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Bass-Simple-Playing/dp/1423408179"]http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Bass-Simpl...g/dp/1423408179[/url][/quote]
thanks for this, will take a look

The Bass Bible by Paul Westwood is fantastic. Includes 2 CDs that have a number of examples of his work. The book includes scales, arpeggios, chord sheets, notated phrases (including styles from African/Cuban/Latin through to Motown) and has a range of technical sections (looking at Fretless, Slap etc) and even a section with notated solos. Also accompanied by tab. This was recommended by my Bass tutor when I first took lessons and it really helped me to understand the context of bass within a range of ensembles and settings.

Just look at the contents page and you can see how in depth and useful this book can be! Hope this helps!

[url="http://www.amazon.com/dp/3927190675"]http://www.amazon.com/dp/3927190675[/url]

Edited by skej21

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skej21' post='823188' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:09 PM']The Bass Bible by Paul Westwood is fantastic. Includes 2 CDs that have a number of examples of his work. The book includes scales, arpeggios, chord sheets, notated phrases (including styles from African/Cuban/Latin through to Motown) and has a range of technical sections (looking at Fretless, Slap etc) and even a section with notated solos. Also accompanied by tab. This was recommended by my Bass tutor when I first took lessons and it really helped me to understand the context of bass within a range of ensembles and settings.

Just look at the contents page and you can see how in depth and useful this book can be! Hope this helps!

[url="http://www.amazon.com/dp/3927190675"]http://www.amazon.com/dp/3927190675[/url][/quote]

I've just got this book. Haven't started it yet but it looks great for learning new styles and opening up at any page to play something else for a change. Definatly one for the library but I didn't find it very helpful with theory becasue its in TAB which I can't help myself from reading.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='833021' date='May 10 2010, 01:12 PM']I've just got this book. Haven't started it yet but it looks great for learning new styles and opening up at any page to play something else for a change. Definatly one for the library but I didn't find it very helpful with theory becasue its in TAB which I can't help myself from reading.[/quote]

Cover the tab up then :)

• 4 weeks later...

I quite like the Fretboard Roadmaps series.

One book I picked up about 13yrs ago was [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Step-Guide-Everything-Player/dp/1901690105/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275416199&sr=1-8"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Step-Guide-Ev...6199&sr=1-8[/url] which is a bit simplistic but helped me at the time.

I don't think there is a definitive book as 1) we all have different learning styles and 2) you often have to fill in the gaps yourself

[quote name='Clarky' post='792133' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:39 PM'].......
Regarding other replies, many thanks to all. I will take at look at your posts M-M but I was really looking for a book that, when not practising from, I could take to read on my nearly hour long journey to/from work. And the Building Jazz Lines sounds like it would be pretty heavy going as I can't read the dots (and prefer rock to jazz!) - probably great for a facile reader but maybe a step too far for me (was hoping something tab based, preferably).[/quote]

I'm not sure you'll find a book about playing bass you can read for an hour a day on the train.... maybe some more biography / inspirational books like "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" for example. If you've got an iPhone or iPod touch there's an app called Fret Surfer Bass that'll test you on your note names on the fretboard.

For me, the biggest step in my playing was learning how intervals sound. Although my music theory is rubbish I can find the note I want fairly easily which helps enormously with transcribing songs and improvising. Gary Willis' book "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass" seems to cover this but may be pretty dry, he seems like a fairly intense bloke! You could instead try recording a load of different intervals, putting them on your MP3 player and listening to them on the train and writing down what you think they are.... then checking your answers when you get home.

The books that have kept my attention at the moment are "'70s Funk and Disco Bass" and also "Hip Hop Bass", both by Josquin des Pres. There's no theory or technique at all, just lots of basslines in notation and tab.... some are simple, some are really tricky. If they're not your style of music there may be some similar Rock based books.

If you took the books on the train and listened to the accompanying CD it might help you connect the notation to what you're hearing.... seems a shame to waste an hour a day on the train.

But ultimately with music theory, you've just got to stick with it to get the benefits. :)

Edited by Fat Rich

I'm going slightly away from what was actually asked for but...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harmony-Theory-Comprehensive-Musicians-Essential/dp/0793579910"]Harmony and Theory[/url]

This is totally a instrument-agnostic sit-down-and-read theory book. However (although I must confess to some old fashioned theory grounding) I found it very readable and explained a lot of tricky concepts in clear and easy to understand terms.

A big +1 for the Bass Bible, but there's not a lot of chat. You'll need something else to actually explain what they things he gets you to practice are. It's a bit daunting too - "learn all these mad scales or else".

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Doddy' post='833126' date='May 10 2010, 03:12 PM']Cover the tab up then :)[/quote]

+1

Agreed. In response to the other comment, this book has tab AND notation in order for it to appeal to and aid beginners to learn and crossover from tab into notation. The only problem this would cause a reader is that you are being lazy and reading the tab instead of the notation. That's not the book's fault!!