Why become a member? ×

Sterling by MusicMan Black Ray34 with Nordy for sale £380

dave_bass5

Seeing as how im now not using this at all its up for sale.

There are no issues with the bass. Its got XL's on it at the moment but it came with EB Slinkys which i still have.

Heres what SBMM have to say about it.
"
Music Man's Stingray Bass has been a staple in the bass world for over 25 years. The classic combination of swamp ash, maple neck and Music Man™'s humbucking pickup and active 3 band preamp makes for a powerful bass that excels across all genres of music. Take a look around at any pro level music group and you will probably see a Stingray up there pounding out the groove. Our take on this classic icon is faithful to the original. We use light weight Swamp Ash bodies, maple necks with maple or rosewood fingerboards. The Music Man® designed humbucking pickup is paired with the Music Man® designed active 3 band preamp. Controls for bass, mid, treble and volume act the same as the USA made bass. The sound is the classic reliable tone you've come to expect from the Stingray®, cutting, present with a full round bottom end that anchors the music.

* Swamp Ash Body
* Maple neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard (Maple fingerboard on BK and HB finishes)
* 21 frets
* 6 Bolt Music Man Designed Neck Joint
* Music Man® Designed Humbucking Pickup
* Music Man Designed 3 band Active Preamp
* Music Man® Designed Bridge w/ Stainless Steel Saddles
* 34" Scale
* Open Gear Heavy Duty Tuners
* Spoke Wheel Truss Rod Adjustment
* Heavy Duty Gig Bag Included
* Ernie Ball Bass Strings: .045, .065, .080, .100
* Nut Width: 43mm (1.69")
* Natural, Black, Honeyburst "

I got this a on 24th March for £569 and id like around £380 for it as it also now has a Nordstrand MM4.2 pup in it. I still have the original that ill throw in.

I would prefer the buyer collected but willing to post to UK mainland at buyers expense.

Not interested in any trades now as im sorted for a new bass.

Cheers.

EDIT: Pics added.

I also want to point out that there is a line in the gloss finish just behind the nut at the G string. Thats how it arrived. No other scratches etc.There is a lot of reflection in these pics so the bass looks a bit grubby, its not.

[attachment=48022:84259635...fdD_X3_3.jpg]

[attachment=46430:Sun_04_A...010_8352.jpg]

[attachment=46426:Sun_04_A...010_8360.jpg]

[attachment=46428:Sun_04_A...010_8350.jpg]

[attachment=46429:Sun_04_A...010_8357.jpg]

Edited by dave_bass5

I like all the reflections, Dave. It looks very shiny :) These are great basses, people. I've had one identical to this and only sold it when my piezo Stingray appeared here. They play & sound like the real thing and the quality of these basses is spot on.

Best of luck with the sale, Dave.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='795817' date='Apr 4 2010, 05:01 PM']Fancy your HW1 back?[/quote]

Chancer lol.

Im actually happy to keep this bass. Its really nice and as i only use one bass its not like ill be stuck with a bass i cant play. saying that, if i can get a SB14 that would be even better.
I really missed the HW1 at first but i know i wouldn't use it. I do want to stick with a MM of some sort, even if i dont use it as my main bass.

FWIW The neck is (or seems) bigger than the Sub

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='795810' date='Apr 4 2010, 04:53 PM']I like all the reflections, Dave. It looks very shiny :) These are great basses, people. I've had one identical to this and only sold it when my piezo Stingray appeared here. They play & sound like the real thing and the quality of these basses is spot on.

Best of luck with the sale, Dave.[/quote]

Cheers Rich, yeah, they are very shiny. Hardest Bass ive taken pics of.

Cheers.
It took me a while to position myself so i didnt get too much of the bedroom cupboards in but i think it turned out ok.

The build quality is great. They come out of the same (Cort) factory as the Lakland Skylines and have a very similar feel to them but are almost half the price.
Its a much classier bass than my old Sub but its also different in the wrong way for me.

I can live with it and will in fact be gigging it for a while but it would be nice to get something with a narrower string spacing.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='816747' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:48 PM']Dave, will you ever be satisfied, you're as bad as me with the basses, good luck mate

The GroovyPlucker[/quote]

Cheers Mark.

This doesn't mean completely happy with it, just being practical. Having just spent more on the pup i cant afford to sell the bass for the original asking price.

Ill see how it goes for a few weeks. I do intend to replace this and get a SR4 at some point so i will sell this bass, just not right now.

Still need to sell the DD though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='816733' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:33 PM']Nordy is now in so ive withdrawn this for now.

Im going to stick with it for a while and see how it goes. It will be good practice for when i get a SR4 at some point.[/quote]

Is the Nordy a direct replacement Dave, or did you swap the covers over? How does it sound now? I found that after playing Ps and 'Rays for a while that I find J necks cramped and like playing a broomstick. This is a pain as a lot of the basses I'd like the look of feature J type necks, keeps the GAS down though :). Stick with the Ray34, I found that prefer it's neck to my old US maple necked 'Ray, far less clubby.

[quote name='ezbass' post='816963' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:33 AM']Is the Nordy a direct replacement Dave, or did you swap the covers over? How does it sound now? I found that after playing Ps and 'Rays for a while that I find J necks cramped and like playing a broomstick. This is a pain as a lot of the basses I'd like the look of feature J type necks, keeps the GAS down though :). Stick with the Ray34, I found that prefer it's neck to my old US maple necked 'Ray, far less clubby.[/quote]

The Nodry is a direct replacement, i didnt have to change anything over. It just dropped straight in.
The only problem has was the Nordy has 5 wires and the MM only has 2. Ive done loads of searching but cant find the correct wiring diagram so i made an executive decision and wired the Black and Red together on the back of the volume pot and the other three to the circuit board. After doing this i then found the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram that shows the black and red going to the circuit board.

Ive posted over on TB asking for some guidance over this so if anyone has anything to say, im all ears. If it had been a straight forward two wires i would be fine but im not really up on all this series/parallel wires lark.

Whatever, it all works ok. Ive not played it much but first impressions are that its a bit smoother and tighter sounding. It might not have cured the weak G but ill have to see how it goes. Its all in the EQ IME. With the Nordy having maybe a bit less growl and a bit more refined its a bit closer to my DD/P tone although it still has the SR character.

Saying that, i haven't played it in almost a week, and the strings seem a bit dead now so maybe there isnt much difference. Im just happy it still works lol.

I know what you mean about narrow necks. I thought i really liked them but the more i play this bass the more i find its a bit more comfortable. Not as fast as the DD but i find im a bit more accurate with my fretting. Its harder but its getting there. I think once the DD has gone ill be able to settle down with it.

I would like a proper SR4 at some point though but for now im happy to stick with the Ray34. And i feel its a bass that i wont have to worry too much about it getting scratched.

• 2 months later...