Why become a member? ×

Sterling by MusicMan Black Ray34 with Nordy for sale £380

dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='893045' date='Jul 12 2010, 06:35 PM']What are you after Dave? :)[/quote]

There's something bugging me about my CV Jazz. It just seems to have a soft tone at some gigs. Maybe its because its basswodd. Its doing a great job but i cant help miss my old HW1 so something along those lines would be good, especially a black HW-one Jazz. A White CIJ would be perfect.
Or a SB14 would be even better as i would hate to give up on the MM tone completely but i really cant get on with this neck, at least, not now i have a Jazz.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='893055' date='Jul 12 2010, 06:45 PM']There's something bugging me about my CV Jazz. It just seems to have a soft tone at some gigs. Maybe its because its basswodd. Its doing a great job but i cant help miss my old HW1[/quote]

Can't say I didn't offer, hope you find something Dave.

[quote name='Linus27' post='893525' date='Jul 13 2010, 10:53 AM']I so wish this was fretless. I would probably bite your hand off for it. I wonder how much it would cost to be converted and if its a good idea.[/quote]

If you bit my hand off i would probably have to sell both basses lol.

[quote name='Linus27' post='893534' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:02 AM']HAHAHA maybe just a finger then :)[/quote]

As long as its not the one i use ;-)

I think once this goes im going to go for either a HW-one or a MIM 70s' Jazz in black.
I didnt know about the 70s' jazz until last night. Black with blocks and inlays sounds perfect. Just nee dot order a black PG. Not bothered that its a MIM.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='893537' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:07 AM']As long as its not the one i use ;-)

I think once this goes im going to go for either a HW-one or a MIM 70s' Jazz in black.
I didnt know about the 70s' jazz until last night. Black with blocks and inlays sounds perfect. Just nee dot order a black PG. Not bothered that its a MIM.[/quote]

If you mean the classic then they are amazing. I had the Sunburst Classic 70's Jazz when they first came out and got back into bass and they are brilliant. Amazing neck although it felt more like a 60's neck. You really would not go wrong with one.

Yeah, the classic.
I like the idea of the smaller frets as well. I find my CVJ really nice and easy to play. Better than the DD even.
Im not looking for any real vintage'ness ( I doubt thats a real word but it gets the point across), just something that ticks all the right boxes and the Classic 70s' seems to do that.

Bloody GAS again. Might have to do a price drop on this soon.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='893525' date='Jul 13 2010, 10:53 AM']I so wish this was fretless. I would probably bite your hand off for it. I wonder how much it would cost to be converted and if its a good idea.[/quote]

I had my SUB defretted by The Gallery 2 or 3 years back, it cost me £110 inc LaBellas if I remember correctly. This included removing the frets and replacing them with maple lines. I also got them to remove the dots and replace them with rosewood dots for a cleaner look. MM fretless basses are my favourite by far.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='893569' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:40 AM']Yeah, the classic.
I like the idea of the smaller frets as well. I find my CVJ really nice and easy to play. Better than the DD even.
Im not looking for any real vintage'ness ( I doubt thats a real word but it gets the point across), just something that ticks all the right boxes and the Classic 70s' seems to do that.

Bloody GAS again. Might have to do a price drop on this soon.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

I was gonna go for the new Jazz Deluxe V, American, beautiful retro finish, also a custom shop on ebay quite similar, until the guy at BassDirect talked me into a Mayones Jabba Classic. It's a complete rip off of the DJ5, but it has a great Bartolini Preamp, active passive switching, Basslines pickups etc.
It's probably a poor mans DJ5 in many ways, the neck's great, but it's not the glass finish of the lakland, but having said that, you could maybe check em out. The 4 string is quite akin to the Duck Dunn/DJ, and I'm really happy with the sound & playability, of course it's not an ernie ball, but seeing as you're back on Fenders, this is cheaper than the extortionists, sorry Fender.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='894258' date='Jul 13 2010, 10:56 PM']Cheers for the heads up Mark. They do look nice but way out of my price range.
Ive got my heart set on a 70's MIM classic now. They only cost £520 :-).[/quote]

Hi,

They've just shot up in price, probably due to the review in Bass Guitar mag, I got my 5 string for £1200, that's now the price of the 4, £1349 for the 5 now, jeez,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...