Why become a member? ×

Slap Tone

Fly2far

Is there a pedal/limiter/compressor/ heavy gauge strings etc. that is giving the "tone" that seems prevalent to this style of playing.

I've tried scooping the mids on my 70's Jazz Bass on the guitar and amp (Trace Elliot Pre amp) but I can never seem to get that clean sparkle of the tops and that "sucking" sound.

Any advice appreciated.

an active bass is the answer everyone of my basses are active
my sandberg has a active passive push/pull knob, get the best of both
worlds. i had a passive jazz for all of a week, can't deal with that tone
anymore just sounds weak especially for slap and anything with that sparkley top
end sound, sure one of the guys on here will point you in the right direction with
your current kit tho. maybe back the bass off and boost the mids

If you haven't got it with that bass, it is likely that it will never do it.

The jazz slap sound has been the sound for 30 years whilst all the others have been and gone, by an large.
A few things that can help a jazz...

Clean string that have a degree of zing to them and see if that and the TE preset sound does anything for you.
Both pups wide open and tone full on, then set the graphic level until you get the hi freqs..boost them somewhat.
Don't go mad on the bass and leave the mids flat or slightly below flat.

I suspect you are after a sound that that bass can't produce..
Post a link of the sound you are after.

If you are looking for the kind of slap tone like marcus millers, you should be able to achieve it with a 70s jazz. This may sound daft but....sometimes with amps you have to lower the lows and mids a bit then wack up the high. I have to do that with the peaveys at my college.

[quote name='Mog' post='783885' date='Mar 23 2010, 07:58 PM']I'd wager more of an 80's type thing, ala Seinfeld.[/quote]
but that's not a bass.
no disrespect, but listen again, Sienfeld "bass"is a synth...well by that I mean a sample played on keyboard.
Im not a betting man but on this occasion £10er says.....
ATB
W :)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='783948' date='Mar 23 2010, 08:34 PM']Well, more to the point there were other more palatable slap sounds - Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, Norwood Fisher, etc. Less of the ear-splitting treble content that Marcus likes to injure his listeners with.[/quote]
( vic and bob style, handbag to chin )
OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='783948' date='Mar 23 2010, 08:34 PM']Well, more to the point there were other more palatable slap sounds - Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, Norwood Fisher, etc. Less of the ear-splitting treble content that Marcus likes to injure his listeners with.[/quote]

Sorry mate, have to disagree. Marcus has the best slap sound on the planet. No ear-splitting treble there...but saying that, my treble hearing has gone.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='783958' date='Mar 23 2010, 08:40 PM']Sorry mate, have to disagree. Marcus has the best slap sound on the planet. No ear-splitting treble there...but saying that, my treble hearing has gone.[/quote]

Well far be it from me to explain to you why your opinion in this case is a load of knackers, then! :)

It's all in the fingers...and thumb, of course. The definitive slap players for me are:

Larry Graham
Kim Annette Clarke (Defunkt)
Stanley Clarke
Robert 'Pops' Popwell (early Crusaders)
Louis Johnson
Marcus Miller
Victor Wooten
Les Claypool
Meshell
Mark King
Vail Johnson
Flea
Robert Trujillo
Alain Caron

[u]Modern slap tone[/u]

[i][b]Brand New Strings!!!!![/b][/i] absolutely vital to get the amount of harmonic content you need. I'd recommnd a set of DR Lo-Riders or DR Hi-Beams.
Cut the harsh stuff around 700Hz-1KHz , boost the upper bass (120Hz and below), boost the sizzle to taste (>4KHz)

Both pickups wide open, tone on the bass (if its passive) on full.

You do not need an active instrument, but it can help.

A decent compressor, set up very well can help too.

You also need a really decent amp and a great cab with a great tweeter - something like an Eden 210XT or a Berg ae410 (yeah baby!).

[u]Old skool slap tone[/u]

Strings neednt be so new, but shouldnt be dead like Motown dead either.

Dont cut the mids anywhere near as much, and dont boost any treble.

You dont need a tweeter for this (they didnt put them in bass cabs till the late 80's IIRC) but 10s are still good. If yuo have a tweeter turn it off, you want that paper cone top end...

For the really real deal ultra old skool sound use tapewounds on a passive J bass, like Larry Graham in Sly and the Family Stone.

A lot of 70's slap was actually done on P basses, so if you have a J bass you can try just the neck pickup, but there are definitely tracks out there with all kinds of variation in pickup blend, especially when mixed with plenty of eq, so all bridge pickup and a big bass boost can sound really nice too.

Edited by 51m0n

Personally I think the ultra modern slap tones of MM and the like are rather grating. I like something 'chewier'.

Of course part of that is the stuff he does, its far too clinical to be really funky for my taste.

He's a staggering player though, dont get me wrong, he just isn't doing songs to **** to, and thats what funk is all about really IMO :)

Edited by 51m0n

Put some new strings on, allways a good place to start!

All the best funk and slap came from the 70's and alot of great bassists used the jazz bass. Your bass simply might not be able to give you the sound that you are after its all down to personal prefrence. I would love to have a 70's jazz ( any lefthanded ones about ?) I find my musicman gives me a cracking slap tone.

Edited by patch006

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='783961' date='Mar 23 2010, 08:45 PM']Well far be it from me to explain to you why your opinion in this case is a load of knackers, then! :)[/quote]

I think the same about your opinion in this case. Marcus' tone is
the definitive slap tone- full range with a fat low end and crisp, clean
highs.

You won't get the classic Marcus tone on a stock '70's Jazz. His tone
came together with the inclusion of a Bartolini preamp.Although his sound
was almost there before,but not quite.

The Seinfeld theme was played by Jonathon Wolfe on synth bass.

Good choice of players there Pete.

[quote name='Doddy' post='784013' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:22 PM']I think the same about your opinion in this case.

Marcus' tone is
highs.[/quote]

Weak low end, constant crash cymbal highs, and no mids. Why did you describe that as "Full range"?

And it can't be the definitive slap tone unless it's been used on records that people have heard.

I hate listening to his bass, he sounds nearly as bad as John Entwistle to me. That's "rich John Entwistle" - he sounded good until he could afford to ruin his sound in extreme ways.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Doddy' post='784013' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:22 PM']I think the same about your opinion in this case. Marcus' tone is
highs.

You won't get the classic Marcus tone on a stock '70's Jazz. His tone
came together with the inclusion of a Bartolini preamp.Although his sound
was almost there before,but not quite.

The Seinfeld theme was played by Jonathon Wolfe on synth bass.

Good choice of players there Pete.[/quote]

Agreed. If you listen to early Marcus, you'll see that his sound was indeed evolving. For me, 'Run For Cover' is the ultimate sound.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='784019' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:30 PM']Weak low end, constant crash cymbal highs, and no mids. Why did you describe that as "Full range"?

And it can't be the definitive slap tone unless it's been used on records that people have heard.

I hate listening to his bass, he sounds nearly as bad as John Entwistle to me. That's "rich John Entwistle" - he sounded good until he could afford to ruin his sound in extreme ways.[/quote]

Are we listening to the same Marcus? :)