Why become a member? ×

Slap Tone

Fly2far

[quote name='deathpanda' post='868011' date='Jun 15 2010, 01:54 PM']Is it weird that my geddy lee sig has a lovely slap tone? I see how active pickups can help, but those complaining that passive basses don't sound good slapped, probably aren't doing something right.[/quote]
Or maybe that's just their opinion.

I don't understand you are using a GP12 preamp Series or a GP12 SMX? if its a GP12 SMX turn everything up on your jazz low compress halfway and just a smidge of top compressor (very very small) and preshape 1. If its just a GP12 preamp then I don't understand why you would use this and not the preamp on the Mark King. The preamp on the Mark King some would say its very very similar to a GP12SM :)

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='784219' date='Mar 24 2010, 01:06 AM']When the geezer is arguing Marcus Miller's sound I think it's relevant. If he was actually Jimmy Cliff then maybe it would be unfair.

And you're a thick c***.

Sorry is name-calling only allowed as part of a pun?[/quote]

Good to see Trolls made their way here, everywhere these days...oh the power of the keyboard.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='783958' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:40 PM']Sorry mate, have to disagree. Marcus has the best slap sound on the planet. No ear-splitting treble there...but saying that, my treble hearing has gone.[/quote]

Hear hear!
His slap tone still makes me drool...audio wise...He has such a "soft yet aggressive" tone (my explanation)...his strings have the zing and boom...but with a kind of soft edge? I dunno how to explain, its one of a kind!

Velvet...thats the best explanation I can offer... haha

Edited by Kongo

Yeh this does seem like an old thread but it's interesting, my favourite slap tones have always come from the likes of Freddie Washington, and more recently Alex Al as well. I like Marcus's tone but I think he's become a bit of a parody of himself... I like his playing but I could see how he might be assumed as a one trick pony. If this were true of course he wouldn't have got any of the session work in the past. The guy is a monster player.

I'm not a huge slap player myself, but I have noticed that the bass if often not as important to creating a good slap sound. I hate the slap sound from my Eden rig but I loved slapping through an EBS rig I gigged out recently, and it took a lot less effort to coax a decent slap sound from it (no time at all in fact).

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='783948' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:34 PM']Well, more to the point there were other more palatable slap sounds - Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, Norwood Fisher, etc. Less of the ear-splitting treble content that Marcus likes to injure his listeners with.[/quote]

It's funny you mention Marcus having an ear-splitting sound and then you say Louis Johnson has a more palatable tone. To be honest it boils down to opinion, but Louis Johnson used a murderous amount of treble and had a much less controlled slap sound. I love his playing and tone all the same, but I think it's pointless arguing something that you're probably aware isn't true. :)

Sorry to unearth an old post! Just my two pence.

Edited by liamcapleton

Kai Eckhardt on his 62 P bass does it for me - check out 'Poodle Factory' on their Myspace page

[url="http://www.myspace.com/garajmahalfunk"]http://www.myspace.com/garajmahalfunk[/url]

or about 3 mins into this video - sounds wicked:

and some live shizzle here too

Hope you dig

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='871040' date='Jun 18 2010, 06:49 PM']Love that, and iv never really liked the slapped P sound. I'm a changed man haha[/quote]

Me neither, until I watched this guy:

Changed me forever.
I love the "Board" sound of the E string slapped lol.

Edited by Kongo

Of course.. most of these guys make the sound work. Not normally a P-Bass fan but sometimes they are just right.

Pops Popwell did most of his great slap with a P-BAss sound, LJ takes the sting out of the sound so much..and it is compressed to hell as he whacks it so hard that he either uses a P-bass as in the early days or a MM.

For the majority of slap sounds you are going to have to scoop the mids for it to be playable but there are pieces that make a virtue of mids..
For me..you need the pup/pups wide open so you get the full attack on the strings.