Why become a member? ×

Top 5 bassists you USED to like!

Bilbo

Lets face it - its easy to 'bitch'...as musicians we should be grateful for the people who inspired us to become who we are or certainly the voice we are continuously trying to find. If we outgrow something, appreciate it for what it is/what it meant at the time. As for stuff that gets 'rammed' down our throats - I think the media are the people you should be moaning at. These musicians didn't ask to be put on a pedestool, and without the exposure, who knows we may not have heard of them or been inspired in the first place. I could be working in a job I hate if it wasn't for all the players who are getting slagged off. Time to check ourselves ladies and gentlemen - I do believe the bass community was supposed to be more supportive than the guitarist one (not mentioning any 'lightbulb' jokes.)

[quote name='Steve Rickwood' post='88078' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:11 PM']Lets face it - its easy to 'bitch'...as musicians we should be grateful for the people who inspired us to become who we are or certainly the voice we are continuously trying to find. If we outgrow something, appreciate it for what it is/what it meant at the time. As for stuff that gets 'rammed' down our throats - I think the media are the people you should be moaning at. These musicians didn't ask to be put on a pedestool, and without the exposure, who knows we may not have heard of them or been inspired in the first place. I could be working in a job I hate if it wasn't for all the players who are getting slagged off. Time to check ourselves ladies and gentlemen - I do believe the bass community was supposed to be more supportive than the guitarist one (not mentioning any 'lightbulb' jokes.)[/quote]
Yeah but they're rich and famous and probably couldn't give a sh*t what we think anyway!
The bass community is supportive, but being supportive is different to liking or disliking someones music, for example i could think one of my friends music taste and style of playing was totally stale and a bit rubbish but i would still support him and thats the same here, i'm sure there are people on here who play a totally different style to me that i don't particularly like, that doesn't mean that all of a sudden i'm going to just be totally non-supportive towards any decision they make be it good or bad. get what i'm saying?

no not really, because you don't just like or dislike someones playing,do you? no one does, you might like them up to a certain point and then get tired of them, or find that they're repetetive after a while, or even the listener has developed beyond the artist who inspired them. the fact that people on this site are critisizing these artist is an indication that they have improved and found perhaps pieces of music that they feel could have been more detailed or better written, critisism is a way of learning and improving, if no one critisized the people who inspired them then we wouldn't have safe cars, good bass amplifiers, mobile phones, mp3 players, running water. you know why? because all these thing were produced by someone boldly saying to someone, WOW thats really good, but i can make it better.

1. Jaco Pastorius - No way mate. You couldn't survive in the sort of band I want to be in.

2. Victor Wooten - See No.1

3. Billy Sheehan - See No.1 (well, MAYBE an exception for this guy)

4. Jaco Pastorius - See No.1

5. Mark Hoppus - you can sign up for benefits at a lot of places, Mark

Absolutely - every generation needs someone to push the boundaries further, but it isn't right to neglect the people who made things what they are; eg, Pastorious being the obvious example - learning his parts is one thing, but creating them in the first place says a lot more. So even if someone tires of him, you have to respect the inspiration regardless. Yeah you can like someone up to a point but my point is that looking back over this forum, there is a lot of critisism that seems misplaced and irraitonal - so what; you tire of someones playing - don't slag it off. Easy, and it doesnt hurt.

[quote name='andy67' post='86358' date='Nov 10 2007, 01:27 AM']17. Jason Becker - Cacophony, David Lee Roth Band, Solo
74. Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden[/quote]

I going to disagree on these 2 I'm afraid...

Jason Becker - Amazing player and an example to all of how to keep on going when life doesn't deal you the cards you deserve.

Adrian Smith - Cool player and songwriter. His Adrian Smith And Project (A.S.A.P) album is great...

[quote name='Steve Rickwood' post='88101' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:40 PM']Not really - what does it matter if they are rich or famous? MY point is that you either like or dislike someones playing - fair do's; but its kind of disrespectful to critisise those who inspired you in the first place. Get it...?[/quote]
Been reading through this thread & those are my thoughts exactly - I don't listen too much to many of the bassists who first made me want to play (can't quite get Rush out of my system, though :) ) but those guys & girls will always be important to me & to my growth as a musician - slagging them is, in a way, slagging myself. For that reason I could never compose a list of former favourites.

BTW Steve R - back in the 80s when I lived in Gillingham, I played in a band called Abstract, with a great drummer called Tony Rickwood. Anyone you know? :huh:

Jon.

aint being involved in and playing music just the best ever..........

great debate lads keep it up!

Jason becker is a sad story - what a player I had the priviledge of seeing him perform with DLR in Glasgow many moons ago he was simply outstanding! unfortunately illness is a horrible thing!

Nuno for me is the best guitarist i have ever heard, he is a rough diamond but not wanting or needing to be polished! what a tone....

Bassists I wont neglect, there are to many of these guys who have changed the way we look at and play bass....respect and rip my bass lovin friend, tutor and influences............

and ps; we need to start a nuno appreciation thread.......

Edited by andy67

[quote name='Steve Rickwood' post='88078' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:11 PM']Lets face it - its easy to 'bitch'...as musicians we should be grateful for the people who inspired us to become who we are or certainly the voice we are continuously trying to find. If we outgrow something, appreciate it for what it is/what it meant at the time. As for stuff that gets 'rammed' down our throats - I think the media are the people you should be moaning at. These musicians didn't ask to be put on a pedestool, and without the exposure, who knows we may not have heard of them or been inspired in the first place. I could be working in a job I hate if it wasn't for all the players who are getting slagged off. Time to check ourselves ladies and gentlemen - I do believe the bass community was supposed to be more supportive than the guitarist one (not mentioning any 'lightbulb' jokes.)[/quote]

Indeed.

However, it's possible to have been a fan of a particular bassists, and then 'fall out of love' with them without it necessarily being a bitchfest. Tastes can change.

One of the first bands I loved was the Manic Street Preachers. I haven't listened to them for years except when a song comes up on Shuffle, and 90% of the time I skip past it. Not a bitch at them, but I USED to like them, I don't much now.

Although it does seem like people are using this thread to namecheck bassists they never liked or don't respect.

I didn't think anyone was being disrespectful or "bitching" about any bassists they used to like. People are just pointing out who they used to like, and why they don't now.

Gary Cherone does kind of ruin extreme, but, I listen to him with a smile, not really taking him seriously. If you get the live version of cupid's dead from Wembley, you get an extended funky guitar+bass solo without the crap rap! Nuno's doing more pop kinda stuff now isn't he? Less funky. I love his 1st solo album, and some mourning widows too. I'm writing this here as I assume we would not be allowed a guitarist's appreciation thread on a bass forum!

I agree re: past loves - I have a HUGE soft spot for some of these guys and still look out for them and their products. Geddy Lee was a favorite for a long time but I have a wider perspective than I did then. I'd still like to buy him a drink tho'. Jeff Berlin still makes me smile with some of his soloing. I'd love to argue with him 1:1 (I like a lot if what he says but not all of it, not by a long way). Despite having moved on, an occasional dose of Jaco is a delight (recently saw some of that footage from Montreux - his grooves were unassailable!!)

These guys are still great. They just got knocked off the top spot.

Surely the thing is that you don't have to like someones bass playing (and certainly not everything about their bass playing) to respect them.

Eg, I'm not a great fan of slapping, especially when it gets too fast - for me it just loses its musicality. Consequently I think I upset someone in another thread when I said that I prefer Flea's playing when he's not slapping. BUT that doesn't mean I don't respect him as a player (Jeez, If I was 1/10 as good I'd be happy) just that I'm not a great slapping fan!

Also, everyone, however good, should be a valid target for polite criticism (I stress polite), and expression of preferences. I can see no problem with "I used to like Joe Bloggs, but not so much since he started doing XYZ" or "I used to like Joe Bloggs, but my tastes have changed." or "I still like Joe Bloggs, but I wished he'd do more ABC instead of XYZ".

This is not the same as saying "I used to like XYZ, but now I think he's a w*nk*r".

Eg. I am a great fan of the singer Roger Chapman, but I still can honestly say I prefer the stuff he was doing 5 years ago to what he's doing now, but I still respect him as much as ever.

Just some rambling thoughts

Clive.

[quote name='acidbass' post='88117' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:12 PM']1. Jaco Pastorius - No way mate. You couldn't survive in the sort of band I want to be in.

5. Mark Hoppus - you can sign up for benefits at a lot of places, Mark[/quote]

LOL, Jaco couldn't survive.... come on man... He was doing things nobody else had even thought of. If he hadn't died TWENTY years ago - i'm pretty sure he'd be kickin all of our asses - in my opinion, he COULD survive in any band....seriously!

[quote name='acidbass' post='88117' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:12 PM']1. Jaco Pastorius - No way mate. You couldn't survive in the sort of band I want to be in.

5. Mark Hoppus - you can sign up for benefits at a lot of places, Mark[/quote]

LOL, Jaco couldn't survive.... come on man... He was doing things nobody else had even thought of. If he hadn't died TWENTY years ago - i'm pretty sure he'd be kickin all of our asses right about now - in my opinion, he COULD survive in any band....seriously!

My point about 'disrespectful' comes from dismissive comments about 'jazz widdling' etc. For me, it is as relevant as Bruce Foxtons strong melodic playing. And I'm not a jazzer before anyone starts! And the comments about Rush being 'pseudo-technical' are pretty non-substantial; they clearly set out to push themselves as musicians - but so many of their fans put the where they never asked to be and take it all so seriously. We could also debate right now, that if we spent as much time practicing and GIGGING as we are debating this very subjective conversation, then maybe we would be up with the inspirational (obviously luck comes partially into the equation) - and then we ourselves may be at the top of some lengthy discussion online...etc!

And note to bassaassin....Gillingham, now thats a name I've not heard in a long time...! As for Tony rickwood, heard of him! Oh yeah, my bro. In context here, I could say I've grown into a larger music scene now and say theres better drummers than him, but if it wasn't for him I'd have never picked up a bass or been so inspired by so much cool music (including yours mate!) - so yeah! Hows it going John?! I think I played Aberdeen a while back.

[quote name='Nate' post='88376' date='Nov 14 2007, 01:08 PM']LOL, Jaco couldn't survive.... come on man... He was doing things nobody else had even thought of. If he hadn't died TWENTY years ago - i'm pretty sure he'd be kickin all of our asses - in my opinion, he COULD survive in any band....seriously![/quote]

[Yeah - did you see the article on Havona?! Most of us wouldn't even consider playing the turnaround figure - not only did he see that as possible, he made it sound great. Most of us would struggle to play it, let alone envision it..

My point exactly...As I mentioned - look at any other genius and tell me they're not great. I don't think anyone should knock forward thinkers. Look at Einstein, Newton, Bach, Darwin....etc. All forward thinkers you USED to love? Thought they were great but now are not so sure because you can do what they do or know what they know...?!

Worth looking into the mindset of these people rather than saying whats not great about them..

Victor Wooten - yeah, it can be a bit much but hes doing things with the instrument and moving it forward. That can't be a bad thing. We shouldn't say negative things about these people

I think I just took the thread somewhere else but I feel it may be valid in some sense.... :wacko:

Edited by Nate

[quote name='Nate' date='Nov 14 2007, 05:40 PM' post='88553']
My point exactly...As I mentioned - look at any other genius and tell me they're not great. I don't think anyone should knock forward thinkers. Look at Einstein, Newton, Bach, Darwin....etc. All forward thinkers you USED to love? Thought they were great but now are not so sure because you can do what they do or know what they know...?!

Worth looking into the mindset of these people rather than saying whats not great about them..

Victor Wooten - yeah, it can be a bit much but hes doing things with the instrument and moving it forward. That can't be a bad thing. We shouldn't say negative things about these people

I think I just took the thread somewhere else but I feel it may be valid in some sense.... :wacko:

right - yes - without being a hippy (!), finding the positive is vital. I give my students a list of 60 bassists who influenced me - it is totally blasphemous as it was spontaneous and I missed some names off and sure as anything there are hundreds more I could think of - however, it makes them look where they may not have looked. they come back and say who they liked and who they didnt and thats great because some are finding players they may ave never heard of such as Tony Butler from Big Country, through to the likes of Victor Wooten. I see some players, maybe a player in a country band and admire the discipline of not over playing, as much as I admire the jazz demon who can't find enough ways to express him/herself. And I hope as I take this all in that I continue to be a better musician.

So let's celebrate everybody!