Why become a member? ×

More than 4?

Bilbo

[quote name='ARGH' post='96275' date='Nov 29 2007, 06:24 PM']Well thats 2 more strings you 'accept' as being allowed upon a Bass guitar than last year John. Didnt you and OG have a bit of a to do over him getting a 5 back on Bassworld?[/quote]
Me and Si - dont think so. I've never been that bothered about 5 and 6 string basses although I dont like it when some of our younger members feel pressurised into getting more strings they dont really need or get the impression that having more strings makes them a better player, or want to progress to 5 and 6 string basses before they go out and start having fun with gigs and groupies - well gigs anyway. I dont like it when people say the 4 string is finished, out of date etc.

I think I said quite early on in this thread that [b]I think[/b] it becomes a big wide tappy thing (aka ERB) when it cant be played like a regular bass and a 7 with tight spacing and fingers like bananas might be played like a regular bass. I dont think your 9 can be played like a regular bass though.

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='96349' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:20 PM']Good grief - the egos have landed - on both sides.
This is Basschat and we're all Bassplayers (to a degree :huh:)
Nobody wants to be a bassist. We're the guys stuck at the back. The guys nobody is looking at. The guys nobody is listening to. The guys whose best chance of a f**k is waiting 'til the singer and guitarists have had their turn.
We're the internet geek PC builders of the music world. But instead of clocking 50-plus hours a week on World of Warcraft, we're clocking the same amount of time on forums, arguing over the best type of preamp valve, the best match of active EQ/pickups and how distorted a distortion should really be. We're waving our Fenders, Shukers, Goodfellows and Seis around like "hey i've got a fat wallet and a giant knob - who wants to be me??", just like the tits who post 3dmark scores and processor speeds (and don't deny that you don't know exactly what i'm talking about :huh:)
And now we're here arguing over strings while the rest of the world carries on not giving a sh*t 'cos we're the guys that nobody could care less about.
We're all prize cocks 'nudge nudge-ing' and 'wink wink-ing' to each other.
I'm off to take my frustration out on a solid-top baritone ukulele with spalted maple back-and-sides. You don't see anyone shouting at her for having too many or too few strings!!
Screw you all....

:)[/quote]

I like this post ;o)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96352' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:22 PM']Me and Si - dont think so. I've never been that bothered about 5 and 6 string basses although I dont like it when some of our younger members feel pressurised into getting more strings they dont really need or get the impression that having more strings makes them a better player, or want to progress to 5 and 6 string basses before they go out and start having fun with gigs and groupies - well gigs anyway. I dont like it when people say the 4 string is finished, out of date etc.

I think I said quite early on in this thread that [b]I think[/b] it becomes a big wide tappy thing (aka ERB) when it cant be played like a regular bass and a 7 with tight spacing and fingers like bananas might be played like a regular bass. I dont think your 9 can be played like a regular bass though.[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I cant recall anyone doing that,If the 1st paragraph is to be taken as read.

Anyone want to skype me and ask me to prove otherwise? (as in how the instruments played..or just a nice conversation..its good to talk)
PM me

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='96345' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:14 PM']Well, quite a few people on this thread have said they'd like to hear an example of good music played on ERBs... it's a given that what's played is going to be good[/quote]
Including me and I'm still waiting to hear something I think is good. Its not a given that what's played is going to be good. I dont dig ambient and I dont dig death metal so I'm still waiting.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96352' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:22 PM']Me and Si - dont think so. I've never been that bothered about 5 and 6 string basses although I dont like it when some of our younger members feel pressurised into getting more strings they dont really need or get the impression that having more strings makes them a better player, or want to progress to 5 and 6 string basses before they go out and start having fun with gigs and groupies - well gigs anyway. I dont like it when people say the 4 string is finished, out of date etc.

I think I said quite early on in this thread that [b]I think[/b] it becomes a big wide tappy thing (aka ERB) when it cant be played like a regular bass and a 7 with tight spacing and fingers like bananas might be played like a regular bass. I dont think your 9 can be played like a regular bass though.[/quote]

oh I get it....

things is I do care that you are wrong John?

NO-ONE has ever said more strings makes you a better player..YOU have come up with that,we have said ,myself included, that more strings can make you more versatile a player,IF you can master them. jumping up a string to a 5 or 6 and doing it earlier,when young,might be an easier thing,the number of musicians that play erbs tend to say going from 4 to a 5 was the hardest thing..than going to 7+.

John,I think... you have never played an ERB,so you dont know,by what you post,how you play one...or have probably never even tried.

Regardless of "I dont want to" or otherwise.

(clue....hands/plectrums plucking in the regular fashion...y'know,some of us have slapped our ERBs too)

I've played a 6 string with wide spacing and found it very uncomfortable - I did not like it much. I did ask Dood when he got the Doodle how you play it. I can only go by what I see posted on here and most of it is w***ery played (tapped) in the guitar register - which is why it gets viewed as stunt bass (and not just by me).

I would love to see you rocking out with a good band and your 9 string on "Later" Ross. I'd like to see Steve and his looper doing likewise (even if he only plays a 6 string).

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='95970' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:01 AM']Music that is accessible to people who are not musicians.[/quote]

In my experience the majority of people who are not musicians only like music they are familiar with. This means that no matter how tuneful and accessible your music is, if it isn't on the radio at least once a day they won't like it...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='96393' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:26 PM']In my experience the majority of people who are not musicians only like music they are familiar with. This means that no matter how tuneful and accessible your music is, if it isn't on the radio at least once a day they won't like it...[/quote]
You are absolutely correct and it has always been thus. Trust me unless you listened to the late great John Peel you never heard much rock on Radio 1 in the 70's. Zeppelin did live shows for John and In Concert on BBC Radio but they never got played on peak time radio. They became huge despite never having released a single.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96360' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:32 PM']Including me and I'm still waiting to hear something I think is good. Its not a given that what's played is going to be good. I dont dig ambient and I dont dig death metal so I'm still waiting.[/quote]

I gave you examples earlier, none of which were ambient or death metal, you dismissed them as being sh*t.

And who's actually said "just look at all the strings its got" ?.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='96406' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:47 PM']I gave you examples earlier, none of which were ambient or death metal, you dismissed them as being sh*t.

And who's actually said "just look at all the trings its got" ?.[/quote]
Man you are so tight. I did not say the music was sh*t I was talking about where punters get their sh*t and that means something completely different. I am sure if I could be bothered I could turn up clips that say look at x playing his y string bit I cant.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96264' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:51 PM']You just cant get it can you. Joe public is not gonna go looking on myspace for this sh*t - they are gonna buy their sh*t from Amazon and that is the only reason for my Amazon test. Thats what is meant by music that is accessible to people that are not musicians. And FWIW I dont consider a 6 to be an ERB.[/quote]

Erm......what, that's not how it comes across to me.

[quote name='ped' post='96419' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:09 PM']bass_ferret wants a 7 string deep inside[/quote]

It's denial isn't it.

He protests too much, there's an inner battle going on inside his mind, a bit like Gollum and Smeagal in te lord of the rings......."go on buy a 7 string bass, you know you want to, they are the future"............ "No, no, no !, ERBs are the work of the devil, leave me in peace, a 4 string is all anyone needs" .

[quote name='OldGit' post='96432' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:23 PM']I think if he gets too close to some of the debaters here he may well get that experience :)[/quote]

Not too close to my throbbing girth, please.

*Da Dumm tishhhhhh*

Ahhh Thangyew ;o) I'll be here all week... Chicken in a Basket, Thursday nights..

I'd like to nominate this for "Thread of The Year".

My 2p FWIW..

I don't "get" ERB's (& I regard that as 6-strings & up). I seem to recall encountering a 7-string fretless Sei at the last BW bash in Northampton, & when being offered a go declined saying "nah, you need to be a musician to play one of those". Read into that what you will.

Neither do I see the ERB (7+) becoming a "mainstream" instrument anytime in the near future, however there always will be a market for music that does'nt readily fit any particular box (think ECM Records & Robert Fripp's DGM stuff), albeit a niche market.

All power to those that want 'em & can see a place in their music for them - personally I don't & can't at the moment, but then I'm still trying to figure out botlleneck slide on a bass with a whammy bar so I've got quite enough outré sh1t to keep me occupied thankyouverymuch, & nobody (except me) has to like it.

So There.

Pete.

hate to break it to some of you guys, but music existed long before they invented the radio.
even today there are people who listen to music without relying on the radio.

however, if radio airplay is your definition of music - that explains a lot of what has been said here.

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='96349' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:20 PM']Nobody wants to be a bassist.[/quote]

I know you were being ironic JB, but a bassist is all I've ever wanted to be. I think I'm a rare breed here on BC. I've never paid more than £375 for a bass...ever and never would. I don't hanker for [i]this[/i] amp or [i]that[/i] bass. I currently own a couple of old BB300's. One cost me £115, the other £100. My other bass is a BB415 which I paid just over £220 for, brand new and I'm blistfully happy with my lot. Call me blinkered or a [i]trad[/i], I don't care. I've never had the urge to express my creativity on the instrument. I love to get my beat-up old Yamaha BB, plug it into my amp, turn up to 11, lock onto the drummer and rock with the band. Nothing gives me greater satisfaction.

In my 20 odd years of playing, I've never seen the bass as a solo instrument, bass solos leave me cold and never sound as cool [i]IMO[/i] as a guitar (ducks for cover). I am amazed at the talents of folks like Michael Manring and Stu Hamm but I'm afraid their music does nothing for me at all yet Bernard Edwards perfect lines bring a smile to my face every time I hear them (and I've heard them a thousand times).

That said, I believe that there's room in the world for all of us whether we play one or eleven strings. We share similar experiences and problems and hopefully can help each other out and maybe get on with each other along the way.

Mark

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96413' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:58 PM']I am sure if I could be bothered I could turn up clips that say look at x playing his y string bit I cant.[/quote]
I'm sure I could find a lot more instances of people saying that a 4-string bass LOOKS nice, regardless of how well it plays or what's being played on it - people ARE actually interested in aesthetics, or music videos would be a little bit pointless... so yeah, people are inclined to comment on the unusual technical features of the bass (such as how many strings it has), just as they might do so about anything else not directly pertinent to the excellence of the musical sound
However, that's not what ERBs are about from my point of view - they're just tools to do a little bit more than a standard 4-string can do and whilst I mainly play 5-string, I wouldn't consider it any sort of a compromise to have extra strings added to all of my basses - I wrote something earlier which uses the lowest D and the highest C on my 5-string fretless, but I'd very much like to be able to play it on 7-string with a low F# and a high C, coz then I could transpose it down a perfect fourth and it'd also be easier (for me, probably not for a 4-string player)... unfortunately I only have a 5-string fretless, so I'm limited by my lack of strings! It may not be "real music" and you may not enjoy it, but I intend to play it in front of a crowd some time and I hope they'll like it :) I'll be playing it on my 5-string fretless, coz that's the best tool available for the job - the intended role of the ERB here is for me to play exactly the music I want, as smoothly and easy as possible!
What I'm saying is that just because I prefer to play my stuff on basses with extra strings, that doesn't I'm not a bassist any more! Okaeey, so Jean Baudin and ARGH both call themselves all-round musicians rather than just being tied down to the label of "bassist", but I think I'm still just a bassist, playing bass lines, just as I'd wanna play them on a 4-string, but using extra strings to do so - it doesn't create any technical problems for me; it does the opposite - I don't have particularly large hands and I don't rely on tapping to play everything - it's just another string to my bow (seriously, that pun was unintended!)
So I've gone on for more than a little bit without using a single full stop - to summarise: I like playing bass lines on a 7-string and I like the music I make in this way

I gotta admit I do like the inference on this thread that more strings make you a better player !!

@~*&, I've been playing for nearly 20 years, the last 5 on 7 string. I needn't have done all the practice and gigs, when I could have just gone and bought a harp !!

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='96349' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:20 PM']We're waving our Fenders, Shukers, Goodfellows and Seis around like "hey i've got a fat wallet and a giant knob - who wants to be me??", just like the tits who post 3dmark scores and processor speeds (and don't deny that you don't know exactly what i'm talking about :))[/quote]

Yes, I have a 7 string Sei and yes it wasn't cheap. I don't have a fat wallet and my future wife says I've got nothing to worry about. Who wants to be me...well if you've got any sense none of you. I have M.E./CFS and I ache like crap every minute of every hour of every goddamn day. I take over 20 pills a day and I have a wheelchair for the days when I really can't walk that far.... Can't gig but I can play and try to record stuff at home....

I have never suffered from instrument snobbery and enjoy reading about the delight of every player getting a new instrument whether that's a first bass from a music shop or a custom which the owners been waiting anxiously for months for.

There might be some who would wave they're basses in some kind of macho gesture, but they sure as heck ain't on this forum.

Oh, ARGH, forgot to say, I'm not the mystery ACG customer. But I am keeping a careful eye on it's progress !!