Why become a member? ×

New Bass on order!!!

Grand Wazoo

I have just ordered my next bass, an Ernie Ball Music Man BIG AL 5 SSS (3 single coils) in Candy Apple Red, maple fingerboard, non matching headstock and white scratch plate.

Looks something like this but in 5 strings:

Here's the receipt for the deposit paid... the bad news is the waiting time: 20 weeks!! TWENTY FLIPPING WEEKS!! zzzzZZZzzz.... it'll be worth it though.

[size=5][b]Check it out [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88JxJTz7pr0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88JxJTz7pr0[/url][/b][/size]

[quote name='Johnston' post='776653' date='Mar 16 2010, 08:18 PM']Only the ones I have GAS envy of :lol:

I console myself knowing that none of my local places will ever have such an item therefore I know I will hate the neck if I ever did get to try one :lol: :) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: [size=2]Who am I kidding[/size]

p.s. on the off chance you receive delivery of your new bass but need to hide it from the taxman I have a spare room where it would find company and a safe haven .[/quote]

Sod the taxman, at sea he'll never find me, it's the gf I should be worrying about.

[quote name='bass5' post='776871' date='Mar 17 2010, 02:14 AM']Sod the taxman, at sea he'll never find me, it's the gf I should be worrying about.[/quote]

:)

+1 on the purchase buddy, personally I think the Big Al is bonkers. Im still struggleing to get over the fact it's name is that same as that Allasaurus from Walking with Dinosaurs!

Not at all my cup of tea but I find myself gradually GASing for one!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' post='776923' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:30 AM']:)

+1 on the purchase buddy, personally I think the Big Al is bonkers. Im still struggleing to get over the fact it's name is that same as that Allasaurus from Walking with Dinosaurs!

Not at all my cup of tea but I find myself gradually GASing for one![/quote]

When I first tried one at LIMS last year it took me sometime to recover from the shock, believe me, this is like no bass you've ever heard or played, the only way I can descrive this, it is very much like a Jazz bass on steroids, and may I dare say kinda like a cross between a bass and a Stratocaster guitar - switching wise!! I don't mean that it sounds like a twangy geetar, however the switching possibilities it offer are huge you have an 18 volts preamp, with bass / low mids / high mids and treble, 3 pickups all with on-off switches and all switchable between passive and active, that should give you a mere total of.... 18 combinations, 8 active, 8 passive, 2 in series! Hey that's a lot of sounds to experience with.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='777176' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:43 PM']It's great to see something different from the norm without being too left field[/quote]

Thats one of the reasons im GASing for it bit by bit, I want something a bit outlandish
But not stupid.

Not much fits in the slot.

[quote name='paul h' post='777204' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:59 PM']All basses should have three single coils. Except precisions, for indeed they are cool.

:)[/quote]

Mental images of me, a Stingray, 3 single coild and a router are starting to boil. This could mean trouble.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='777472' date='Mar 17 2010, 02:49 PM']dunno if i've seen a 5 string big al bass before.[/quote]

You couldn't have seen one in 5 strings as yet, because they have just been launched at Winter Namm 2010 and the UK distributors Strings & Things confirmed that mine is officially the first order they have received since they were launched, hence the long waiting list.

Oh here is a pic of it:

Edited by bass5

what a fantastic bass!

I've wanted one of these since they first came out but the price new will be way beyond my means. I did own a '94 pinkburst Albert Lee guitar for a number of years (only let it go to get a Steve Morse Y2D)-and I always loved the looks of the guitar. same story with the bass.

Not looking for the price you paid, but was it less than your 25th? When both models were first announced a couple of shops here were showing the same rrp for both the 25th and the Big AL. I couldnt understand that at the time as the AL wasnt a limited model and it didnt have a fancy maple top. I'm guessing the price of the Big AL is maybe somewhere between a Stingray 5 and the 25th?

Well yes and no: in british pound the Big Al costed me £142 more but if you read below you'll see why

The price for the 25th here was a lot more expensive so, I didn't buy it in UK but directly in the US, had it delivered to one of my offices in New York, then got a "collegue" who travels frequently between New York and London to smuggle it over as hs own bass... hush hush. :)

The retaill price here in UK for the 25th was far out of my reach, something around £2750, but buying it in the states I saved just under £1300 hence the 25th costed me £1450
Paid in USD $2,310.00
££ Equivalent £1,456.76
R.O.E. $/£ 0.63
UK Price was £2,750.00
Saving total £1,293.24

For the Big Al I had to buy it here as I couldn't possibly ask "my friend in US" for a similar favour, that was a once in a lifetime favour, so I have shopped around the major Bass stores here in UK and The Bass Gallery in Camdem won by offering me the best quote = £1599.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bass5' post='777823' date='Mar 17 2010, 08:07 PM']Well yes and no: in british pound the Big Al costed me £142 more but if you read below you'll see why

The price for the 25th here was a lot more expensive so, I didn't buy it in UK but directly in the US, had it delivered to one of my offices in New York, then got a "collegue" who travels frequently between New York and London to smuggle it over as hs own bass... hush hush. :)

The retaill price here in UK for the 25th was far out of my reach, something around £2750, but buying it in the states I saved just under £1300 hence the 25th costed me £1450
Paid in USD $2,310.00
££ Equivalent £1,456.76
R.O.E. $/£ 0.63
UK Price was £2,750.00
Saving total £1,293.24

For the Big Al I had to buy it here as I couldn't possibly ask "my friend in US" for a similar favour, that was a once in a lifetime favour, so I have shopped around the major Bass stores here in UK and The Bass Gallery in Camdem won by offering me the best quote = £1599.[/quote]

Ive just realised how cool the Big Al bass is, esp the 5.

I had no bass GAS until I saw the vids.

Oh heck....once im cleared paying for this lot, I want to try one. 5 string, SSS, sunburst, vintage pearl white plate. MMM.