Why become a member? ×

Catalinbread SFT overdrive pedal

Clarky

I got this Friday as I loved the Motown Ampeg-B15 sounds I heard from an ad for this pedal on Youtube (this one: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VjBTsx4gg&feature=related)"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VjBTsx4gg...eature=related)[/url], plus its primary function is overdrive which is very useful in my punk band. Handmade in US, this pedal gets uniformly good reviews (eg from Harmony Central: "SFT is hands down the best dirt for bass I've ever used"). Thing is, having played around with it, I preferred the tones/sounds I got out of the VT Bass pedal I used to own (and stupidly sold because of incoming Mesa Walkabout). I do need such a pedal for rehearsals and gigs where not bringing back line and the MXR-M80 I have doesn't quite do it for me (but is useful when DI needed).

So I am moving this on swiftly. Got it for £149 from Vintage & Rare (they are hard to get hold of in UK) and I will pass it on for a near-15% discount including post (and new battery!), ie, £130. It is completely as new. Better still I would swap for a VT bass with a £20 adjustment in my favour.

Stock pic (identical to mine):
[attachment=44795:catalinbread_sft.jpg]

Specs below:
[url="http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT.html"]http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT.html[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Higgie' post='774380' date='Mar 14 2010, 03:49 PM']You're crazy selling this. I love mine.[/quote]
Maybe if they bothered putting in a sample settings sheet (or indeed any info at all, it just comes in a plain box!) like Sansamp or MXR I could find the tones I want? Thus far I've not managed it :-( Perhaps I should just persevere but I find the functionality of the VT Bass so easy to use.

To be honest I've found it to be one of the most intuitive gain pedals I've ever used. Start with the Gain at Min., Bass and Treble aand Volume at 12. Turn the gain up while playing to find your desired level of distortion or grit (and compensate with the volume knob). Then use the EQ to taste. My personal settings are Gain about 8:30, volume to taste, then Bass and Treble about 1/2 oclock. Big beefy grind!!

Darn tooting it was quick - was trying to buy ine of these here in the UK and I think Clarky bought the one V&R had that I was after. Once spotted snapped up!

Looking forward to giving it a good run with my rig and pairing up with the BassDrive for uber-rumble!

[quote name='krispn' post='777149' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:26 AM']Darn tooting it was quick - was trying to buy ine of these here in the UK and I think Clarky bought the one V&R had that I was after. Once spotted snapped up!

Looking forward to giving it a good run with my rig and pairing up with the BassDrive for uber-rumble![/quote]

Needless to say i'll be angling for a listen - and probably want one after doing so.

[quote name='krispn' post='777149' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:26 AM']Looking forward to giving it a good run with my rig and pairing up with the BassDrive for uber-rumble![/quote]

oooh - you'll have to let me know how it compares to the bassdrive. i'm running mine at 18v and absolutely love it, but you can never have enough dirt!!! SFT has been tempting me for a while now...:)

It pairs up nice with the bass drive - I've also ran the SFT with 18v just to hear the difference and there is a noticeable boost in output and tone as would be expected of course. I like the 18v sound for edgier stuff but 9v is better for the Motown-ish vibe this pedal is very capable of doing and its nice to have the extra versatility and tones of both 9 and 18v

Gaz - hows the X Drive and Sub working out for ya?

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' post='781174' date='Mar 20 2010, 09:23 PM']It pairs up nice with the bass drive - I've also ran the SFT with 18v just to hear the difference and there is a noticeable boost in output and tone as would be expected of course. I like the 18v sound for edgier stuff but 9v is better for the Motown-ish vibe this pedal is very capable of doing and its nice to have the extra versatility and tones of both 9 and 18v

Gaz - hows the X Drive and Sub working out for ya?[/quote]

i'm still loving the two electroniX pedals - not using the sub all the time, just occasionally when i want to warm up/soften the sound, which it does very well.

now i've used the crossdrive through my full rig, i really really like it! looking at getting a blended looper so i can dial in various amounts of fuzz for different sounds, but 100% wet it still sounds v. nice. it's not particularly high gain, but is just so warm and musical, real 'classic' fuzz, as opposed to more modern higher gain/gated sounds. if i had any more room on my pedal board i'd get one of their Messdrive's too!

[quote name='krispn' post='782954' date='Mar 22 2010, 11:47 PM']A very underrated or unknown company is ElectroniX
Just wish they had made more of an effort with the sound clips :) Really impressed with what I heard tho sound wise.[/quote]

I heard they have stopped building pedals

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='783470' date='Mar 23 2010, 02:20 PM']They started again and have a new website (featuring an updated Submarine): [url="http://musicelectronix.com/"]http://musicelectronix.com/[/url][/quote]

yeah they've been back building for a good few months now i think. full range of pedals on the e-bay shop (though they're in fact built to order, but took Os less than a week to build my 2 orders and dispatch) and Os (main man at electronix) is really helpful and quick to respond to e-mails (similar to brad at tonefactor when i've emailed him).

i agree though, the sound clips on their website are v.annoying, but the pedals Os made for me recently not only sound great but are REALLY well made. there is a good review on the crossdrive (then called facedrive) on bassfuzz.com i think.

if i had the technology i'd do some sound clips of the crossdrive, it's the best fuzz i've ever used or heard on bass, and i've tried a few..