Why become a member? ×

Making Rickenbacker More Playable - Gig In Two Hours!

faceman

Hey guys,

I've got my Open Mic Night (see my last thread) gig in two hours time and I'm trying to decide which bass to take, either my 4003 or 3001 Rickenbackers. I really prefer the tone of the 4003 as it is so much more distinct than the 3001 but at the moment, it's so hard to play. If i can't do anything, it'll be the 3001 but thought someone here might be able to tell me what I can do without f***ing up the neck or bridge. I've just taken a few photos attached to show the situation of the bass and how high the strings are.

Judging from these photos, it seems the action is very high. In the next two hours, what can I do to improve this? I'm aware it needs a proper setup (going to take to the Gallery in Easter) but for the moment, what could be done. Do I need adjust the truss rod (loosen it slightly?) or lower the saddles?

Seb

TAKE THE 3000!
I'd strongly advise against a last minute major setup on the 4003, or you risk knacking it. They are very fenickety, and as soon as you take it out of the boot of the car and into the warm pub, it will change again, and might play worse than it currently does. Rickys need time to settle in after a setup, then a recheck 24 hours later. Thats how you get the best out of them.

Sound advice from robocorpse :)

She does have a high action for a Ric. My 4001 has a seriously low action.

It does look in need of a good set up, just be careful that you take it to someone that knows what they are doing with Ric's. The twin trussrod system needs to be adjusted in a specific way, as the rods work differently to other basses.

[quote name='retroman' post='771221' date='Mar 11 2010, 07:37 AM']Sound advice from robocorpse :)

She does have a high action for a Ric. My 4001 has a seriously low action.

It does look in need of a good set up, just be careful that you take it to someone that knows what they are doing with Ric's. The twin trussrod system needs to be adjusted in a specific way, as the rods work differently to other basses.[/quote]

Errr, maybe they don't.

There is two of them on the 4003 though. Many Ric owners use a neck with no relief but I always preferred a slight amount. One flat on each rod usually does it.

Peter

[quote name='Musicman20' post='771023' date='Mar 10 2010, 10:31 PM']At first I thought the hinge on the case was the height of the strings off the board![/quote]

Me too! :) The action doesn't look too high to me, but its personal taste I guess - as long as the intonation is in.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='771223' date='Mar 11 2010, 07:53 AM']Errr, maybe they don't.

There is two of them on the 4003 though. Many Ric owners use a neck with no relief but I always preferred a slight amount. One flat on each rod usually does it.

Peter[/quote]

The 4001 rods need to be adjusted differently. You have to set the neck by hand and then tighten the nuts to hold it in place; DO NOT adjust the rods to move the neck. However the 4003s rods are adjusted like normal rods, except that there are 2. :)

As many will know, I'm a no relief guy. :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response. I decided to take the 4003 and not make any adjustments to it. A bass friend of mine was there and his expert advice told me the neck was bowed and the truss rod needs tightening, as well as lowering the G, raising the A,D strings. He's going to come over to help me sort it out before my next gig on Sunday but I agree a proper setup is needed soon.

If you are interested, i've got videos of the gig here!

Feeling Good - [url="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150120382800584"]http://www.facebook.com/v/10150120382800584[/url]
You've Got The Love - [url="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150120434435584"]http://www.facebook.com/v/10150120434435584[/url]

The bass sounds pretty good anyway, just going through my small Ashdown combo and into the PA system. I couldn't hear much of it from where I was but I enjoyed it very much anyway!

Seb

The action on my 4003 is very very low, its why I find it hard to use as its so sensitive I over do it as I am used to it higher

Anyway glad it went well, messing around with expensive kit under pressure is never a good idea!

There's no reason you can't get a lower action than that on a 4003 but if you can't - and there is signifcant up-bow - there could be another, more worrying, factor at play here. It could be weak wood but is more likely the rods themselves. Every now and then a Rick like this appears for out of the half dozen or so I've had a 4003S gave me a a headache and cost me a few bob to repair.

It was an ebay purchase and the seller lied about the neck. No amount of retensioning of the rods would pull the neck straight as the wood was just starting to compress and the rods were doing nothing! I ended up taking it to a renowned Scottish luthier who first recommended heat treatment to the neck and, when that failed, removal, with my agreement, of the Rick rods and substitued his own system and the neck settled down.

I'm not saying this is what's happening with yours; I am merely prepping you for the worst-case scenario if a tech can't straighten the neck out.

Edited by Stacker

I went to my bass playing friend today and we took a look and made the following changes

1. Tightened the truss rods - the one nearer the E string was overcompensated but we've tightened them both up and it's looking better. However it does need more but we didn't want to risk more than 1/4 turn per day.

2. Lowered bridge pickup - It was too high as as my friend pointed out, there was no difference between both and the bridge pickup. So lowered the bridge and both pickups give a much better result.

3. Adjusted bridge saddle - The D and G strings were too high so we lowered the right hand side of the bridge.

I'm going back tomorrow to adjust the neck again, as he didn't want to do too much in one bad. The neck is still too bowed but it's getting there! Fun times

If you can afford it, then get a Hipshot Ric Bridge
THE best single mod you can make to a Rickenbacker bass !
Looks great, sounds great and you have the ability to intonate and adjust individual string height

I see you have a Pickguardian jobbie on there so . . . .