Why become a member? ×

A moving experience last night

niceguyhomer

I went to see the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra with the missus last night. It was nothing heavy - a bit of this and a bit of that with a bit of a love theme going on and I have to say I found it really moving.

I have a decent hi-fi and do listen to a bit of opera / classical when there's f'all on the telly but it's a long time since I've seen a full orchestra live. The depth and emotion in the music was absolutely stunning and I had a lump in my throat most of the night.

We were sat behind Jean Boht (?) of Bread fame - her husband was conducting and did a brilliant job.

I now know what I'm gonna do when I hang up my bass boots - I'm gonna sell up and blow the lot on a really good hi-fi and some choice music. Heaven.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Having played over the last five years in a trio, 4,5,6 and 7 piece band with a couple of depping jobs when there were 12 of us on stage ( soul band ) I find it quite staggering when I watch a full blown orchestra all perfectly in synch/time/key etc

Dread to think what level of rehearsal is required to get to that standard and pleased I am not the one ringing/texting/emailing round to check everyone is available for saturday night's gig :)

Long time since I've been to see a live orchestra - you would have thought living near Cambridge I'd be doing it all the time, but no.

Remember seeing a really talented violinist / school orchestra when I was at school, performing Vaughan-Williams 'The Lark Ascending' and 'Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis' - magical stuff. I've got the ASV Platinum CD recording done sometime ago, and that always lifts me up when I'm feeling a bit down. It's always rewarding listening to an absolutely stellar performance through a good hi-fi :)

Suffolk Sinfonia is always great - usually in the cathedral in Bury St. Edmunds, acoustic is wonderful there.

Just throwing my hat in the ring

Ian

I like to take the boys to see Orchestra's whenever possible - last one was at Christmas, they did all your usual suspects for kids, but rather brilliantly they did the entire Snowman, with an actor chappie reading the story. Totally blew me (and the kids and mum) away. Really fantastic.

You can't beat the sound (and sights) of an orchestra in full flight. It's the only music which sounds good in the Music Hall in Aberdeen - the music it was designed for. I haven't been at a good sounding band gig in there, ever.

I saw The Royal Liverpool Phil playing with the Wayne Shorter Quartet last year.
Lump in the throat? I was in tears, they were astounding.

Support your local orchestra.

My wifes mum and dad are singing there soon. [url="http://www.liverpoolphil.com/2607/events-classical-music/requiem.html"]http://www.liverpoolphil.com/2607/events-c...ic/requiem.html[/url]

About a quarter of my music collection is classical and Classic FM tends to be the radio station I listen to most at home - been to see the Liverpool Phil' a couple of times, but it was seeing/hearing the Philharmonia orchestra do an outdoor "gig" at Warwick Castle a few years back that got me into classical - it was a life-changing experience!

Some great bass lines can be found in classical music too :) - and as said previously; a half-decent hi-fi helps things along nicely.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='770333' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:10 PM']About a quarter of my music collection is classical and Classic FM tends to be the radio station I listen to most at home[/quote]
I don't have much classical music in my collection (my parents do though) - but I listen to CFM in the car - so much better than anything the BBC puts out. It's great for soothing a fraught commute!

Ian

I think that seeing a live proper orchestra should be an essential part of the national curriculum (more use than Games, ffs). And a ballet, an opera etc. These experiences are well underrated and real 'wow' moments, particularly for kids - same with a jazz big band. Great on record but, in the flesh? Magical.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='770190' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:31 AM']Lump in the throat? I was in tears, they were astounding.[/quote]
Isn't it amazing how such music can cause such an emotional reaction? Ballet can also do the same for me. Perhaps I'm just getting soft as I geot older - either that or I keep getting something in my eyes. :)

I still can't stand operatic singers though.

Some years ago, I was in the US, in Atlanta, and went to see Andrea Boccelli at the Phillips Arena. He was touring with a full symphony orchestra and choir.
The sound was glorious and I have to admit I was also suffering at times with the old lump-in-the-throat syndrome!
I've been promising myself for years that I'm going to book tickets for one of the concerts at Kenwood when the season comes around. Live classical music, under the stars, on a pleasant Summer evening with a picnic hamper and a bottle of vino. Makes a change from the local cover/tribute band down the Dog & Duck! :)
Anyone else here done the Kenwood thing (or similar, e.g., Crystal Palace Bowl, etc.)?

[quote name='Stingray5' post='770498' date='Mar 10 2010, 03:07 PM']Anyone else here done the Kenwood thing (or similar, e.g., Crystal Palace Bowl, etc.)?[/quote]

I did a gig years ago with a jazz band in support of an orchestra at Stroud House in Oxfordshire (I think). We played and then the orchestra did its thing with fireworks etc. What I noticed most was how little gear they all had :)

I found something else out today. You can't listen to Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites played on the double bass (Edgar Meyer) whilst walking around Ipswich. Too much background noise!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='770518' date='Mar 10 2010, 03:29 PM']I did a gig years ago with a jazz band in support of an orchestra at Stroud House in Oxfordshire (I think). We played and then the orchestra did its thing with fireworks etc. What I noticed most was how little gear they all had :rolleyes:

I found something else out today. You can't listen to Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites played on the double bass (Edgar Meyer) whilst walking around Ipswich. Too much background noise!! :lol:[/quote]
Ooh, yes, I forgot there's usually also fireworks at the open-air stuff. Another reason for going! :)

You think Ipswich is bad, bilbo? Try some Eberhard Weber solo jazz on steam bass in Chelmsford shopping centre. The ambience is all wrong! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='770055' date='Mar 10 2010, 08:44 AM']Dread to think what level of rehearsal is required to get to that standard[/quote]

Usually 3 hours + 15 years minimum of practising before that for the individuals.

I used to do a lot of classical playing but then stopped. I went to the Opera last night and remembered that playing tight is not just for hot funk bands.