Why become a member? ×

Woah! New Squier Classic Vibe Colour!

Alfie

[quote name='Balcro' post='769115' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:38 PM']Bah! Beaten too it by "bass5". It's not even on Squier's web-site.

It's about as "red in'yer face" as the Ibanez SRX470 (UK frame).

Balcro.[/quote]

The name is Fran and I am a [i][b]"Bassoholic"[/b][/i]

Pics to follows soon as it comes!

[quote name='bass5' post='769084' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:13 PM']...in the meantime, I've phoned him up and snapped that off him. So now it's on its way to moi! :)[/quote]

Slick work by a sly dog. We are prostrated with envy and admiration in equal part.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='769251' date='Mar 9 2010, 02:03 PM']Slick work by a sly dog. We are prostrated with envy and admiration in equal part.[/quote]

Why thank you Sir,

Things like that you've just got to snap them quick, aintcha?

Edited by bass5

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='769597' date='Mar 9 2010, 07:23 PM']My thought exactly. I guess Bass5 will be able to tell us soon.[/quote]

Well that is an easy one, I did ask the gentleman on the phone when I was ordering mine, what does it say on the back of the headstock and he confirmed that it's the same as the other 3 Classic Vibe's i.e. [i]"Crafted in China"[/i]. in fact except for the colour there are no differences in quality and parts. It's exactly the same as the Sonic Blue Precision.

[quote name='bh2' post='769711' date='Mar 9 2010, 08:54 PM']Are you going to keep it stock or mod it someways?[/quote]

Not a lot really, just the pickup, I need to hear it first, if it sounds thin, or unbalanced, its going to get this pickup: [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/vintage-1/spb1_vintage_fo/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass...pb1_vintage_fo/[/url]

But as I've said I'll have to give it a go first and see. (hear)

[quote name='bass5' post='769724' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:01 PM']Not a lot really, just the pickup, I need to hear it first......

But as I've said I'll have to give it a go first and see. (hear)[/quote]

Thanks for saying that, it's a proper pet hate of mine when people say they want to change the pickup before they've heard (or even received) the bass lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='769788' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:41 PM']Thanks for saying that, it's a proper pet hate of mine when people say they want to change the pickup before they've heard (or even received) the bass lol

Si[/quote]

Well perhaps seing as I own both of the other 2 Classic Vibe basses which they do, the 51 reissue P and the Jazz, I already have sufficient experience with my finding in regards to their "electrics", they did come with very cheapo sounding pickups, and I've had to fit duncans to put them right, I have no doubt this new Precision will also be in the same ball park.

Squier have done a great job on the woods, the necks and even the bridges are pukka, but evidently they've had to cut corners somewhere and obviously the wiring, the pots and definately the pickups suffered as a result.

So much so that they even claim to have used Alnico magnets but my luthier told me its a load of old blx, because he checked them out and told me they are ferrite or magnetite which are actually as common as most magnets found in fridge magnets, speaker magnets etc etc nothing as fancy as alnico I hate to say.

But I am willing to give this P bass a fair chance before I swap p/ups

Meantime this is how my 51' reissue P was delivered.

It took me 2 days to work out why it was buzzing like hell until I lifted the pickup and found this horror

Cold soldering and already showing "rust" in places this type of soldering is simply below acceptable and won't do no good to your sound, hence I have had to have both the Jazz and the '51 P rewired and fitted with the correct "period" pots / waxed cloth wires, now they are quite and noiseless and the Jazz is a killa! I tell thee!

Edited by bass5

here we go lads! Enjoy

Click on the links below

[url="http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/CaptMoto/SquierP?feat=email#slideshow"]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/CaptMoto/Squ...email#slideshow[/url]

[url="http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/CaptMoto/SquierP?feat=directlink"]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/CaptMoto/Squ...feat=directlink[/url]

small taster....

Right I've had no joy in trying this through an amp as I've had to rush back to work to take a ship in as my colleague has fallen sick, and now that the crisis is over, I have taken it to work with me and taken loads of pic and from playing it unplugged I can tell it needs a little set up as the neck is too straight and need a bit of a relief, and the saddles need to be raised slightly as the action is a bit too low, apart from that, thanks to the basswood body it is light and yet resonant, the neck is the right shape, not too chunky not too thin, just perfect.

I'll be at home in a couple of hours and then I'll plug it in, meantime all the silly stickers have gone and it looks quite the part but, I do declare this is not Fiesta Red, this is Salmon Pink or Pino Palladino Pink whichever you wanna call it but if this is Fiesta Red then my name is Susan.

Edited by bass5

Right..... it's indeed a lovely bass and now that I have spent the last hour adjusting the action and the correct neck curve it plays like butter however, sadly playing it through the amp confirmed my suspicions, there is a lot of static when touching the strings on and off, this is meant to be an humbucker but it bucks f*** all hum! There seems to be hardly any earth or screening and I will have to have it done, for sure. This pickup sounds ok'ish but you need to warm it up with the amp eq controls otherwise it's brittle and thin, I didn't expect it to sound great, I hoped it would, but it doesn't and after my experience with the other two Classic Vibe, the Jazz and the 51 reissue, both needed new guts so I knew this one would have been no different.

On the plus side, considering that the rest of the instrument is well constructed and the neck is lovely, the neck pocket is the best out of the 3, sorting out the pots and wirings and fitting a new pickup is not going to cost me an eye and as I said in my previous posts I had planned for this even before I bought it.

all part of the fun.... :)

oh and on looks, having seen that Hank Marvin Salmon Pink beauty (hehehe) I have decided that a white p/guard is more at home than this cheap looking tort which looks like someone puked a whole kebab on it :rolleyes: