Why become a member? ×

Stopping cables from tangling?

umcoo

Hi folks,

I have a couple of OBBM in instrument cables (excellent by the way!), but when I use them, they always curl upon themselves and just end with maybe 2-3 'hoops' of cable (does that even make sense?)

This happens even if I don't move around much. Any tips to stop it? I'm thinking it's the way I wind them up and store them that may be the problem. Hmmnn. :)

There are several youtube vids on how to roll/coil cables correctly - check it out (I was a late learner myself)

Summary is that you reverse the 'twist' for each loop of cable - doesn't cure all snagging completely but helps a lot!

It's a lot easier to show than to describe...

[quote name='bumnote' post='768607' date='Mar 8 2010, 10:22 PM']wireless is wonderfull[/quote]

While I think wireless is a great idea from a safety standpoint (and of course safety is important), I would be too embarrassed to use a wireless system in a pub / small venue. I'd feel like one of those middle-aged rockers who takes a rack of 6 perfectly preserved expensive guitars to play an hour of '60s covers at the Dog n' Duck.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='768714' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:05 AM']While I think wireless is a great idea from a safety standpoint (and of course safety is important), I would be too embarrassed to use a wireless system in a pub / small venue. I'd feel like one of those middle-aged rockers who takes a rack of 6 perfectly preserved expensive guitars to play an hour of '60s covers at the Dog n' Duck.[/quote]

Yeah I hear ya but one of my regular pub gigs is just so difficult to get a sound I invested in a wireless purely for sound checks.
Turns out I just love the freedom of it but ya wont see me jumping up on things.. well within reason! :)

The cable twist and twist back method isnt so great at stopping tangling (I find) but its supposed to be very good for the cable (less twisty torque stress).

If you dont care about cable heatlth then I found that if you halve, halve and halve again until you have a length of about 1M then tie a loose thumb not with it it stays untangled. It is NOT good for your cables by all accounts, but your set up time will shorter. Just undo the thumb, hold on to the two plugs and 'throw' the cable out, you are left with the plugs in your hand ready to stick in sockets, and an untangled cable. I have some cheap cables that are 12 years old that I always stored like this, and they havent failed at all, YMMV.

I put up with the extra tangles of the twist/twist back method on my OBBM cables though :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='768787' date='Mar 9 2010, 08:22 AM']If you dont care about cable heatlth then I found that if you halve, halve and halve again ...

... I have some cheap cables that are 12 years old that I always stored like this, and they havent failed at all, YMMV.[/quote]

This is my preferred method for tangle-free storage. I prefer wireless at a gig anyway, but practice cables are constantly being tidied away like this. I've also heard that its not good for cable life, but none of mine have ever failed. I find it interesting that many people that mention it say that its bad for their health and yet that they've had no problems (I'm still using my first cable that must be 15 years old now) I wonder if its just because its not done in the "approved" way or if there is any proof that this method damages them?

[quote name='SteveO' post='768799' date='Mar 9 2010, 07:48 AM']This is my preferred method for tangle-free storage. I prefer wireless at a gig anyway, but practice cables are constantly being tidied away like this. I've also heard that its not good for cable life, but none of mine have ever failed. I find it interesting that many people that mention it say that its bad for their health and yet that they've had no problems (I'm still using my first cable that must be 15 years old now) I wonder if its just because its not done in the "approved" way or if there is any proof that this method damages them?[/quote]

Same here, I'm wireless but my pedal board is hooked up with cables which I tidy this way too. They've done 400+ gigs, [i]at least [/i]as many rehearsals and I've had zero problems. I'm careful not to pull them too hard either when tidying away or tying the thumb not, too tight a loop there will likely be stressing the cable and sheathing.

Basically, I'm gentle, use decent cables and combined with this tidying method it helps them last years.

Edit to add: I think cables suffer far more damage from being trodden on at gigs than [b]any[/b] method of folding could inflict...

Edited by stevebasshead

You need decent cables in the first place and a gentle twist between fingers and thumbs is enough to coil properly.
I get all mine made up by my local studio and am currently using Canford cable and Neutrik connections.

Edited by JTUK