Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB2024X - Anyone tried one?

alanbass1

These come with a hefty price tag at £2299 yet I notice that two of the three that Mark had in at Bass Direct has sold already. Yamaha are claiming some form of wood treatment that I assume is some form of artificial aging and there is some innovation in the diagonal thru body stringing. However, they are also stating they have a new way of putting together a three piece body that resonates as well as a one piece, but for this price I would have thought a one piece piece of premium alder would be within scope in any event.

As with all these things, the proof is in the playing and if these are 'great' sounding and playing basses then the price tag will justify itself. Has anyone got one or played one and are they 'great' basses?

Well, the only way to find out is to try one. That's harder than it sounds as, talking to Mark at Bass Direct there is very limited supply and he got the first three in the UK which sold immediately. He has three more on order and one is presold and I can't find anywhere else that has one. So, I reserved one that Mark has coming in and should be with me by the end of the month. Once I get it I will let you know.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='771261' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:08 AM']Well, the only way to find out is to try one. That's harder than it sounds as, talking to Mark at Bass Direct there is very limited supply and he got the first three in the UK which sold immediately. He has three more on order and one is presold and I can't find anywhere else that has one. So, I reserved one that Mark has coming in and should be with me by the end of the month. Once I get it I will let you know.[/quote]

I bought a BB3000 a few weeks ago - there are 40 (well 39 now) BB3000 on the german market at the moment. They started at 1900 Euro and went down to 1085 Euro!
Gold hardware, neck through, a beautiful bass with killer sound! I wanted a BB3000 (like Tony Kanal was playing before the BB2024x) but it was only available in Japan.
Now I finaly got one. fantastic sound, stunning looks! Plays like a hot knife through butter! Wine red.. I'm in love! :-)

These basses are truly magnificent. I have the white 2024x Mark had at bass direct and have reserved another as they are that good. Usually when you read about all the "features" of a new bass its mostly hype but this time I was impressed. Its a real sum of its parts and all the little extra things they have done to justify the pricetag have worked. I have old school tastes and searched for an old fender / gibson that would stand up to being played loud, hard and even detuned. Nothing holds up like the Yamaha does but its no way a modern sounding bass. Yamaha are pretty anal about the details but I find their whole range has no soul. I never wanted to play something with a code instead of a name. The BBs always had a bit more soul and this one is Killer. Its a fat grinding rock bass but its just as happy with the treble rolled off to sound like a nice old fender. And the tone pot actually works all the way round in a usable way rather than the fender style which is pretty all or nothing. Its the first bass I've found that holds together the way an active bass does but with the tones of a passive bass - believe me I've tried a lot. I've waited years for them to make this bass as the cheaper ones are terrible.
anyway hope this helps, if you like the idea of it and understand what yamaha were going for with this then you won't be disappointed when you get one.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='783616' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:10 PM']It's arrived. Wow.....got to go back to playing her, talk about it later.[/quote]

"It doesn't exist without photos" is the rule, I believe. :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81828"]Mine exists for sure![/url] :rolleyes:

[quote name='alanbass1' post='783616' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:10 PM']It's arrived. Wow.....got to go back to playing her, talk about it later.[/quote]
Well Alan, what do you make of it? A looker for sure (Sean's looks ultra-RAAAAWWWKKKKK in black, yours a bit more punky in white)

I've heard rumours of the taiwan factory having a do at these, without the aged wood process...and a few other differences.

And, there may be some other bass gear from Yamaha too, so i hear...

I'd watch the Musikmesse coverage on Harmony Central, i'm looking forward to it...

The 2024Xs are amazing, very very jealous.

Trav

I will get some pictures taken over the weekend - too busy playing her at the moment. The colour is a great off white making it look very vintage. This is a seriously good instrument - sound, playability. I have some very nice basses and this is right up there with the best of them. If there is one word that sums this bass up - resonant. It has that same resonance that my '62 P Bass has - you feel the bass vibrate. If this is the result of the aging process it would be a loss if they made a version without it.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='785229' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:08 PM']If there is one word that sums this bass up - resonant. It has that same resonance that my '62 P Bass has - you feel the bass vibrate. If this is the result of the aging process it would be a loss if they made a version without it.[/quote]

There is a cheaper version of the super BB (BB1024/5) that doesn't have the ageing and resonance treatments, check out [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/bb/lineup/specifications.html"]these[/url] specs.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Sean' post='786138' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:19 PM']Check [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/bb/"]this [/url]- all new today from Yamaha[/quote]

Yeah, and have a look at what the anonymous person in the top banner is playing.
A BB body with Attitude (DiMarzio?) Neck HB, Mid P and.. What's that?.. A [i]Bridge[/i] P?

Now you're talking!
As an Attitude owner, I find their tone monstrous, but they lack the ability to "sing" like the best. What they need is a bridge pick-up. Preferably either a Fender JJ or MEC JJ as used in the Precision Deluxe or Dolphin Infinity....

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1014355' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:13 PM']Yeah, and have a look at what the anonymous person in the top banner is playing.
A BB body with Attitude (DiMarzio?) Neck HB, Mid P and.. What's that?.. A [i]Bridge[/i] P?

Now you're talking!
As an Attitude owner, I find their tone monstrous, but they lack the ability to "sing" like the best. What they need is a bridge pick-up. Preferably either a Fender JJ or MEC JJ as used in the Precision Deluxe or Dolphin Infinity....[/quote]

That's our man, Dave Lomenzo and his BB was made to his spec with that extra EB0 type pup and the bridge P. IIRC he also had them make a slightly reduced body size. I love the maple board too. I wish Yam's custom shop specials were available to Joe Blow, I'd have one of those. Absolutely no complaints with my 2024x or 2025x though. They are so good I'll probably let my Spector go soon as it just doesn't get played much :)

If you look at the artists pictured in the BB catalogue you'll see that most of them have either prototype BBs that differ from the production ones or they have custom finished ones eg. Tony Kanal's has an old BBOT type bridge and Mad Anthony has his Chickenfoot logo on the body and that chili artwork on the fingerboard. It's interesting that Big Bad Duff is one of their stable of artists now considering he is known for playing Fenders and has his own signature model Fender.