Why become a member? ×

Time for a new amp head me finks!

bigevilman

Hey Guys!

After getting rid of my SVT810 for a couple of light weight eden nemesis 2x10 (4 ohm) cabs, I think its time that I get shot of my well-gigged Laney head and invest in something a bit more fuller and not so 'tinny'!

I'm currently in a 3 piece blues band, playing songs by Hendrix, Cream, Gary Moore, Santana etc. I'm looking to get that more vintage sound, but I don't wanna have to buy a older head unit.

I've been looking at the Orange bass terrors, as they have a twin 12AX7 preamp, which can provide the nice bit of valve overdrive that I need for stuff like Hendrix and Cream, as well as it being lightweight. I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on this head unit or any suggestions? I'm looking for summit thats lightweight, and not gonna weigh as much as one of my 2x10's lol

Joe

[quote name='umph' post='764241' date='Mar 4 2010, 06:05 PM']get a superbass there going for roughly the same amount as orange tiny terrors at the moment and i know what i'd definatly prefer to have for that kind've sound.[/quote]

Superbass?

[quote name='lojo' post='764370' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:44 PM']check out the TC electronics range[/quote]

+1 on this - unless you want to get a big heavy valve amp (which may fit what you want) the TC RH450 is about as close as you will get to the feel of one.

[quote name='Adee' post='765103' date='Mar 5 2010, 01:38 PM']Superbass?[/quote]
I presume umph is referring to the Marshall superbass range. About 6 months ago I would of definitely said yes to that, but I wanna go more lightweight. I'd love a traditional marshall stack, but not at the moment!

Just seen a Eden WT800 head which im seriously interested in, might convert myself to a Eden man :)

[quote name='bigevilman' post='765706' date='Mar 5 2010, 11:06 PM']I presume umph is referring to the Marshall superbass range. About 6 months ago I would of definitely said yes to that, but I wanna go more lightweight. I'd love a traditional marshall stack, but not at the moment!

Just seen a Eden WT800 head which im seriously interested in, might convert myself to a Eden man :)[/quote]

The Eden WT800 is a real nice amp (weigh's in at 29lbs) but has a clean and quite smooth sound in comparison with a tube amp. But great amps all the same

Something that can sound old and valvey and can go down to 2 ohms? I'm biased but I would say EBS Fafner or the TD650. Although not exactly portable, both of them can do clean or dirty valve sounds, where as Eden are more known for a great 'clean' tone. Saying that I wouldn't regret buying an Eden head, the few I've tried have been great!

The Bass Terror would also do a great job and is also very portable and a good price. The Mesa heads are also great too at sounding like an all tube head.

You could also just get a solid state and use a tube/tube simulation pre-amp pedal a la Sansamp.

Or just buy a MArshall VBA 400 and try and recruit some powerful friends to carry it for you!

[quote name='throwoff' post='765111' date='Mar 5 2010, 01:45 PM']I always say the same thing in these threads!
MARKBASS!

the VLE control gives such a nice vintage sound[/quote]

If you're interested I've got a Markbass LMK (complete with aforementioned VLE control, among others) up for sale right now in the marketplace.

And for extra valve crunch for minimal weight I could also sell you my Sansamp BDDI as mentioned earlier in the thread - it's a genius piece of kit - the only pedal I [i][/i]always[i][/i] use - and I wouldn't contemplate getting rid of it if it weren't for an urgent need for cash on my part!

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='765725' date='Mar 5 2010, 11:51 PM']will sound great but seriously heavy (weight)[/quote]

Aye I noticed the weight of it (29lb) but to be honest, thats no heavier than the Laney I'm using at the moment, so think I'll get over that fact :lol:

[quote]If you're interested I've got a Markbass LMK (complete with aforementioned VLE control, among others) up for sale right now in the marketplace.

And for extra valve crunch for minimal weight I could also sell you my Sansamp BDDI as mentioned earlier in the thread - it's a genius piece of kit - the only pedal I always use - and I wouldn't contemplate getting rid of it if it weren't for an urgent need for cash on my part![/quote]

Cheers for the offer, but I already have a Sansamp at moment. I agree, its a fabulous little box! When I had my Ampeg cab, it somehow turned my Laney head from utter crap, to warm and rich....its like a miracle in a box :lol:

I've decided on the WT800, its got the valve pre-amp that I was after, its the A model, so runs dual mono at 400watt per side @ 4ohm, perfect for my cabs :rolleyes:. I've also decided for the overdrive, I'll just use my Sansamp through my FX loop. It means that I won't have to use it as a pre-amp anymore, and just use as a dedicated overdrive pedal.

Cheers for all your advice :)

[quote name='bigevilman' post='766847' date='Mar 7 2010, 01:18 PM']Aye I noticed the weight of it (29lb) but to be honest, thats no heavier than the Laney I'm using at the moment, so think I'll get over that fact :lol:

Cheers for the offer, but I already have a Sansamp at moment. I agree, its a fabulous little box! When I had my Ampeg cab, it somehow turned my Laney head from utter crap, to warm and rich....its like a miracle in a box :lol:

I've decided on the WT800, its got the valve pre-amp that I was after, its the A model, so runs dual mono at 400watt per side @ 4ohm, perfect for my cabs :rolleyes:. I've also decided for the overdrive, I'll just use my Sansamp through my FX loop. It means that I won't have to use it as a pre-amp anymore, and just use as a dedicated overdrive pedal.

Cheers for all your advice :)[/quote]
You'll love the Eden for the overdrive- you can bi amp it and just run your sansamp on the hi band- lovely overdrive without the wooly bottom end!