Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Found another clip from NYE. It's long.

You can see how tight we were for space.  Good thing the hard working folks in the kitchen.

📸 Watch this video on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/7SHKV2WY3SYuLboc/?mibextid=qi2Omg

FB_IMG_1704146078066.jpg

Superb Daryl, love that song too. Band sounds fantastic. 

Now when you're up there can you get me an order of fries from the kitchen. :laugh1:

See what you mean with the kitchen behind you, that just looks a bit weird plus there are people doing kitchen type things in background. So odd.

Do like Maple Road and wish i could see you guys live. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2024 at 20:52, Gasman said:

To Mere in Wiltshire for Mustang Sally's final gig of '23 - the rest of the band live very close to the town but I had a 50-mile journey through some very heavy rain and minor flooding; still, say what you like against 4x4s, but when it comes to this kind of journey the Jeep Cherokee just lapped it up! The George pub has three large-ish bars - we were set up in the front one with all tables taken and a lot of punters eager for the gig to start at 10pm. Due to lack of space in the band area and the low ceiling I decided to use the HB shorty rather than the Bongo but made a mistake in not putting a booster pedal in the chain thinking it wouldn't be needed - but it would definitely have been handy. Although the bass was going through my Ag700+Darkglass 212 rig as well as the PA, volume levels on the PA couldn't be maximised due to the room acoustics giving incipient mic, sax and acoustic guitar feedback, so I was left with the only option of cranking the amp up to 11 just to be heard... recordings I made revealed later that this was not excessive! Pix below show cramped 'stage' area.

We had a great time, with the place rammed until we finished at 00:50 - 20 minutes extra so the landlord paid us extra too after a very busy night for him, saying that last year there were only half a dozen punters at 11pm so he'd paid the band off and closed early (wrong band maybe?!) and watched Jools Holland instead!

Old Lang Syne was successfully tackled, our lady singer climbed on a table to deliver the last few numbers, the drunks managed not to collapse into the band gear, and we were able to introduce a couple of new numbers. 'Brown Sugar' may not be quite PC nowadays but the audience loved it; 'Hotel California' is an interesting thing to play on bass (I realise now why the Eagles dubbed the number 'Mexican Reggae') but it needs polishing before we resume gigging in March.

It was really nice that Mrs G agreed to come to the gig and enjoyed herself - she has developing Parkinson's and has lost so much confidence in communicating and being in new places with strangers over the last year, but all the folk at the gig were so friendly and inclusive - surely the best kind of therapy! It was another wet 50 mile drive home, arriving at 02:30, asleep by 03:15, feeling whacked out today! 

IMAG9664.jpg

IMAG9665.jpg

We played the Social Club Mere last NYE and stayed at the George after. They had a Wurzels tribute and apparently all their early punters had one drink then came to see us. I don't know why we were not invited back, but it seems only one band on NYE in Mere is the way to go, judging by your experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Superb Daryl, love that song too. Band sounds fantastic. 

Now when you're up there can you get me an order of fries from the kitchen. :laugh1:

See what you mean with the kitchen behind you, that just looks a bit weird plus there are people doing kitchen type things in background. So odd.

Do like Maple Road and wish i could see you guys live. 

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Lol, I know they were making some pretty good pizza back in that kitchen.

It's a Iittle hard for me to watch when I  think about how much older I am then my bandmates. 

You might get to see us live. Keep checking your local kitchen directory for us.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704078406659.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, markbunney said:

We got 10p in our tip jar last night 😂

we think the problem was that it was a very young audience (20s/early 30s) and everyone was paying at the bar using Apple Pay and no longer using cash 

Believe me, it's extremely rare for someone to drop a hundred bucks into a tip jar.

Daryl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

Lol, I know they were making some pretty good pizza back in that kitchen.

It's a Iittle hard for me to watch when I  think about how much older I am then my bandmates. 

You might get to see us live. Keep checking your local kitchen directory for us.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704078406659.jpg

You're doing good sir and don't look anywhere near your age so stop worrying about it and just enjoy the music.

Age is just a number and when it comes to Blues bands age is a bonus.

Dave

• Like 4

23 hours ago, asingardenof said:

A few places over this way I suspect use it to get out of paying full whack band fees, where we'd have to hope the tips would make up for accepting below-par payment from the venue. We aren't keen on this approach.

The two places that do it regularly are both good payers already.

A third that's going to do it have the plan of a bucket for modestly priced bands as a potential bonus, and a collection for the venue to subsidise when having 'expensive' bands (making this clear to the members).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It depends on the gig. Overall the tip jar can turn a $100.00 a man gig to a $200.00  a man gig.

However we have left some gigs with an empty tip jar. 

Daryl

It's a different tip culture in the USA - where it's seen as an important element of wages, and you can even be taxed on the assumption you will get tips.

In the UK it's generally for restaurant staff, taxi/cab drivers and exceptional service, and is typically 10%. I suggested to the barman at my local club that they could have a Christmas tip jar, and he said "Argh! We won't do THAT!"

• Like 2

Many years ago I was in Las Vegas, catching a cab from one of the big hotels. We we amused at the sight of a gurus of cabs being waved forward by a man in uniform who then gratefully accepted a tip from every lead passenger. 

The  driver told is that a few years before he had been investigated and estimated as earning $250000 per year, just for waving his arm. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Age is just a number and when it comes to Blues bands age is a bonus.

Dave

I doubt I could ever get in with one of the local " big time" younger cover bands.

At the end of the day, I'm in the best band I can be in. This is my 15th year.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's a different tip culture in the USA - where it's seen as an important element of wages, and you can even be taxed on the assumption you will get tips.

In the UK it's generally for restaurant staff, taxi/cab drivers and exceptional service, and is typically 10%. I suggested to the barman at my local club that they could have a Christmas tip jar, and he said "Argh! We won't do THAT!"

Tipping is crazy over here. I was leaving my condo the other day and my neighbor was pushing my garbage cart back up toward my garage.  

He asked for a tip.lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

and a collection for the venue to subsidise when having 'expensive' bands (making this clear to the members).

??? They ask for donations for a "flasher" band while the local donkeys are playing, alongside another bucket for the donkeys? Yeah, nah, just pay me what I am worth and leave it out!

One bucket for me if it works out I get what I am worth on average.

I get that they don't want to ever take a bath on engaging high priced bands. But no, two buckets not happening.

You need to talk them off that idea. The average quality of band will go down not up. There is only so much in the pockets of the members for entertainment. Donkey pay will have to go down to pay flash bands. Are you that keen to play there that you can watch 100 quid go to some future hotshots' fee when dollars to donuts most of it would have gone in your bucket?

Imagine when there's as much in each after you packed the joint. No hotshot band is going to pack it any more than you just did and they are going to get that bonus. Far cough.

They will have to punt the flash band paying for the door and standard gig fees for the joint. If they can draw door paying outsiders the tipping members won't mind paying up front.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I doubt I could ever get in with one of the local " big time" cover bands.

At the end of the day, I'm in the best band I can be in. This is my 15th year.

Daryl

Maybe it was the camera system but I reckon EXAGGERATING dynamics could put your outfit into bigger leagues. Tight as nuns proverbial at more or less one level isn't nearly as exciting as more or less tight plus BIG dynamics.

You can lead the way and they will follow. Excited people buy more beverages. I think you would quite like playing less gigs for more money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

Maybe it was the camera system but I reckon EXAGGERATING dynamics could put your outfit into bigger leagues. Tight as nuns proverbial at more or less one level isn't nearly as exciting as more or less tight plus BIG dynamics.

You can lead the way and they will follow. Excited people buy more beverages. I think you would quite like playing less gigs for more money.

The big money short hour gigs are great, but hard to get. We have a theatre gig opening for Ivy Ford in March.

$500.00 for a 40 minute set. That's not bad in my book .

Daryl

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

They will have to punt the flash band paying for the door and standard gig fees for the joint. If they can draw door paying outsiders the tipping members won't mind paying up front.

Over here we have ticket prices for dedicated music venues that book signed national recording acts. However the days of bars changing a cover at the door because they have a band are long gone.

Daryl

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

??? They ask for donations for a "flasher" band while the local donkeys are playing, alongside another bucket for the donkeys? Yeah, nah, just pay me what I am worth and leave it out!

One bucket for me if it works out I get what I am worth on average.

I get that they don't want to ever take a bath on engaging high priced bands. But no, two buckets not happening.

You need to talk them off that idea. The average quality of band will go down not up. There is only so much in the pockets of the members for entertainment. Donkey pay will have to go down to pay flash bands. Are you that keen to play there that you can watch 100 quid go to some future hotshots' fee when dollars to donuts most of it would have gone in your bucket?

Imagine when there's as much in each after you packed the joint. No hotshot band is going to pack it any more than you just did and they are going to get that bonus. Far cough.

To be clear there will only be one bucket at a time and they say people will know if it's for the band or venue.

It's not something I'd recommend.  But they have a larger room for gigs with a cover charge. For free gigs they generally pay bands what they ask, but larger bands (6-7 people) charge more than the venue can support.

Their basic motivation is to find extra to support the smallef bands, which is fine, but I'm personally not convinced about collecting for the venue.

Bit frustrating for me as my partner has dragged the club into being the leading local venue as a volunteer, but after two years is fed up with the amount of effort with not enough support. They are now struggling a bit to plan 2024. Thing is they can book dates in a diary... but they screw up arranging tables, forget to put on the stage and room lighting, don't do the publicity and social media very well and don't communicate well with the bands - largely due to time, inexperience.

So they come up with random ideas like this rather than sorting the basics.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Tipping is crazy over here. I was leaving my condo the other day and my neighbor was pushing my garbage cart back up toward my garage.  

He asked for a tip.lol

Daryl

“Don’t get off a bus while it’s still moving” is a good tip. You can also try “ don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 02/01/2024 at 17:18, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, our tip culture is different.  However, we have local bands here that will not use a tip jar. We don't use the tip jar at private events or large stage festival shows.

The tip jar has been a part of our business model since the band's inception in 2007. Overall it's been good for us.

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I'm big on dynamics.  

Daryl

• Like 2

Despite the serious man-flu we managed to get through all the festive season gigs. XMas eve was at a nice club in Barton, a pleasant affair but a bit under populated - a trend I’ve noticed over the last couple of years….XMas eve isn’t what it used to be gig wise. 
Fortunately NYE was a paid party job at a local club so it was well attended but not lairy. Lots of dancing and we even managed Auld Langs Ayne on time. Unfortunately we had one old prat who over indulged and fell over one of the monitors smashing the connections’front panel….hey ho.

So now a bit of a rest for the glam lads until the back end of January. Happy new year everyone.

• Like 10

Yesterday was a strange one:

A gig on a Wednesday.

A gig on a Wednesday in January.

A Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

A well paid Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

An afternoon, well paid Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

A pub chain closed its doors to the public and bussed its staff from other locations around the country to their Birmingham venue. So in essence, a staff party for bar staff and management who are too busy over the Christmas and New Year's holidays to do it then.

Went really well apart from the weird matinée vibe of working in the afternoon.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yesterday was a strange one:

A gig on a Wednesday.

A gig on a Wednesday in January.

A Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

A well paid Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

An afternoon, well paid Christmas party gig on a Wednesday in January.

A pub chain closed its doors to the public and bussed its staff from other locations around the country to their Birmingham venue. So in essence, a staff party for bar staff and management who are too busy over the Christmas and New Year's holidays to do it then.

Went really well apart from the weird matinée vibe of working in the afternoon.

I've heard lots of tales of companies holding their Christmas parties in January, often just because of lack of availability of venues (i.e. everyone argued about who was going to organise it long enough to not be able to book anywhere before Christmas), but a Wednesday definitely seems like an odd one even though the reasons are sound.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I've heard lots of tales of companies holding their Christmas parties in January, often just because of lack of availability of venues (i.e. everyone argued about who was going to organise it long enough to not be able to book anywhere before Christmas), but a Wednesday definitely seems like an odd one even though the reasons are sound.

My guess is they lose the least revenue on a Wednesday afternoon in January. Bearing in mind at least three of their venues were closed to facilitate the event.

Either way I'm happy 

• Like 6

Huge upscale room this Saturday night. State of the art in house sound and lighting provided . I don't think our draw is enough to fill this size room.

8:30 - 11:30, that's a long night for me. Good thing it's only a 15 minute commute. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1704411908505.jpg

• Like 7