Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, msb said:

Our little Mexican project will be playing in our favourite old dive on Friday. It’s well rehearsed , we have two trumpets in the band , it will be our second gig. 

IMG_8088.jpeg

Love the poster …..as in the advertising medium, not Mr. msb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We put the posters up in the downtown core , and online. Our head honcho is a graphic designer and has been excellent at creating logos , buttons , and posters. Shirts are next.

He managed to create a great buzz for the first gig. We had a capacity crowd. This gig looks promising too. We’re taping the night.

• Like 4

Well, that was great fun. Played in the Balaclava Bar in Fraserburgh last night - a bit of a hike but it's fast becoming one of our favourite places to play as the folk up there are usually up for a good night!

First half was OK, bar was not super busy but we still had some folk up dancing so can't complain.  A very convenient swell in audience numbers came in just in time for the second half. Lots of folk up dancing, enjoying themselves, great interaction with MOST of the audience. We ended up playing for 15 mins extra because they kept asking for "ONE MORE CHOON" :)

Joe Public continues to surprise and dismay in equal measures. First the good - a young lady came up to us and asked if we knew "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd. We don't, but it's always encouraging to see people asking for stuff which came out before they were even the formation of a twinkle in a parent's eye. Then the not so good - some old Sir Richard Head III who had been annoying the whole night, asking us for stuff we don't play then getting annoyed at us for not knowing (err, we're not a jukebox, and we play well rehearsed covers of songs we know thoroughly - we're not a jam band who can play "anything" but with varying degrees of success - not dissing those kinds of outfits, it's just not something we want to do). At the end he came up and started bending my ear about not knowing song X, Y and Z and telling me I should be improvising or some pish. It took all my powers of professionalism to not tell him to fork off. Jesus, if you don't like it, get lost, there are 50 other people here having a great time, you won't be missed!

ADDITIONAL: back to the good - I must have been in a good mood - as I was tidying up, a young lad came up to me and asked if he could have a go on my bass.  Normally I'm a hard "no" but for some reason I risk assessed it, he seemed to be on the level and not pished so I said OK.  He was very respectful and was pretty good too - played me a bit of RHCP and some Muse and he was really good.  Thankfully it was unplugged - I don't want to do myself out of a job!  Polite guy, thanked me afterwards, and went on his way.  Happy days.

Played the G&L Tribute LB-100, nerds.  I was going to take the Triad, but at rehearsal on Thursday I noticed that the truss rod could do with a tighten and didn't get around to doing that before the gig.  That LB-100 is one heck of a bass.  For £350 new, it was an absolute steal.  If the question is "which P bass should I get?", the answer is the G&L Tribute LB-100, even if you've got a grand to spend IMHO.  Buy two!

No, I don't work for G&L, nor am I sponsored by them (one can only dream!)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 13

My blues rock trio Toredown's regular 4th Friday of the month gig at the Shamrock in Ipswich.  Traffic on A12 on the way there was light, which makes a change.  Unloaded then had to park a fair distance from the pub.  Only a couple of our regulars turned out and the pub was generally quiet.  Kicked off to a handful of largely distinterested punters with maybe only a dozen or so paying attention.  Things improved as the night progressed but we didn't get the usual kind of joy coming back at us which, in turn, meant the evening lacked the usual spark from our direction.  We played well but it seemed to me something was missing.  My back and knees are playing up and I felt rather uncomfortable all evening, especially in the heat, so I was generally out of sorts.  A12 shut homebound, followed 4 articulated lorries along the diversion of small roads for 10 miles, got home about 30 mins later than usual at 01:45.  Maybe I am spoilt as I usually leave gigs feeling fairly euphoric but last night not so much.  Looking forward to our next one is in 3 weeks - a beer, beetroot (?) and blues festival - slightly nearer and slightly earlier.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Catastrophe last night, cramp in my right forearm and my fingers folded into a fist. Very sore and stopped me from playing. All my own fault, completely dehydrated and gig prep’ was terrible. Woke up at a hotel in Fife, after a party on Thursday night. No sleep and didn’t make any effort to be ready. 🙄 Hadn’t happened to me since the 90’s and the older I get, the better I was. 🤣

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Joe Public continues to surprise and dismay in equal measures. First the good - a young lady came up to us and asked if we knew "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd. We don't, but it's always encouraging to see people asking for stuff which came out before they were even the formation of a twinkle in a parent's eye. Then the not so good - some old Sir Richard Head III who had been annoying the whole night, asking us for stuff we don't play then getting annoyed at us for not knowing (err, we're not a jukebox, and we play well rehearsed covers of songs we know thoroughly - we're not a jam band who can play "anything" but with varying degrees of success - not dissing those kinds of outfits, it's just not something we want to do). At the end he came up and started bending my ear about not knowing song X, Y and Z and telling me I should be improvising or some pish. It took all my powers of professionalism to not tell him to fork off. Jesus, if you don't like it, get lost, there are 50 other people here having a great time, you won't be missed!

Played the G&L Tribute LB-100, nerds.  That LB-100 is one heck of a bass.  For £350 new, it was an absolute steal.  If the question is "which P bass should I get?", the answer is the G&L Tribute LB-100, even if you've got a grand to spend IMHO.  Buy two!

No, I don't work for G&L, nor am I sponsored by them (one can only dream!)

We played an all ticket sell out gig in a club outside Edinburgh once with our 70's Glam covers band. The venue had our posters up and it was well advertised as a 70's Glam covers band. We had a guy shout for some funk music at one point in between songs. He then approached our Agent with same request who then pointed to the poster on the wall and said the band were a 70's Glam Rock covers band. Why did you even buy a ticket and handed him his money back and told him to fosters off. He was a tad drunk even tho it was an afternoon gig. 

Are those G&L tribute basses really that good. ?

Dave

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Catastrophe last night, cramp in my right forearm and my fingers folded into a fist. Very sore and stopped me from playing. All my own fault, completely dehydrated and gig prep’ was terrible. Woke up at a hotel in Fife, after a party on Thursday night. No sleep and didn’t make any effort to be ready. 🙄 Hadn’t happened to me since the 90’s and the older I get, the better I was. 🤣

Aye you should know better. I always do my finger stretches before playing now. I never start playing too soon after carrying large cabs about as that causes my hands to ache and cramp a bit. I always drink between 1 - 2 litres of water at a gig depending on the band and heat. I carry a large 18" gym fan with me for the glam band and on hot days with the punk band. You'd be surprised the difference a decent sized fan makes when playing.

Were you in Lanark last night as i was sure i glimpsed you coming out front door as i passed on way home.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

We played an all ticket sell out gig in a club outside Edinburgh once with our 70's Glam covers band. The venue had our posters up and it was well advertised as a 70's Glam covers band. We had a guy shout for some funk music at one point in between songs. He then approached our Agent with same request who then pointed to the poster on the wall and said the band were a 70's Glam Rock covers band. Why did you even buy a ticket and handed him his money back and told him to fosters off. He was a tad drunk even tho it was an afternoon gig. 

Are those G&L tribute basses really that good. ?

Dave

Some folk, eh?

As for the G&L Tribute, well I can't speak for all of them, but my one has greatly exceeded all expectations I can reasonably have of a £350 bass.  I bought it with the intention of changing the pickup to a split MFD so as to create a sorta SB-1, but the stock pickup is actually great sounding and I ended up leaving it the heck alone.  At £350, I'd normally expect iffy hardware, but the bridge is the same unit as found on the USA models, and the tuners are tight with none of the play and general vagueness you usually get at this price point.  I've been delighted with mine.  Finish is flawless, fretwork is good.  The only thing I think I will change is the pickguard - it's been two years now and I'm still not loving the tort.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Aye you should know better. I always do my finger stretches before playing now. I never start playing too soon after carrying large cabs about as that causes my hands to ache and cramp a bit. I always drink between 1 - 2 litres of water at a gig depending on the band and heat. I carry a large 18" gym fan with me for the glam band and on hot days with the punk band. You'd be surprised the difference a decent sized fan makes when playing.

Were you in Lanark last night as i was sure i glimpsed you coming out front door as i passed on way home.

Dave

Aye, Horse & Jockey. Heat was unbearable for while, as you can’t open doors or windows, due to noise Police. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Yup, it was a hot one last night.  Sweat in the eyes is the worst :(

Get yourself an 18" gym fan and sit to the side of the stage hidden out of sight. Black version isn't as noticeable under stage lighting. It works a treat and at 18" it shifts a lot of cool air at you. I generally aim it towards my lower half as i don't like it blowing my hair :laugh1: (see my avatar)

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Get yourself an 18" gym fan and sit to the side of the stage hidden out of sight. It works a treat and at 18" it shifts a lot of cool air at you. I generally aim it towards my lower half as i don't like it blowing my hair :laugh1: (see my avatar)

Dave

That feeling on stage, when something runs down the back of your leg and just hope it’s sweat. 😳

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Get yourself an 18" gym fan and sit to the side of the stage hidden out of sight. Black version isn't as noticeable under stage lighting. It works a treat and at 18" it shifts a lot of cool air at you. I generally aim it towards my lower half as i don't like it blowing my hair :laugh1: (see my avatar)

Dave

I think we play quite different types of venue, you and I... "side of the stage" - err, stage?  We're at floor level where the pool table used to be and there's nowhere to swing a cat, never mind hide a fan! :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

My blues rock trio Toredown's regular 4th Friday of the month gig at the Shamrock in Ipswich.  Traffic on A12 on the way there was light, which makes a change.  Unloaded then had to park a fair distance from the pub.  Only a couple of our regulars turned out and the pub was generally quiet.  Kicked off to a handful of largely distinterested punters with maybe only a dozen or so paying attention.  Things improved as the night progressed but we didn't get the usual kind of joy coming back at us which, in turn, meant the evening lacked the usual spark from our direction.  We played well but it seemed to me something was missing.  My back and knees are playing up and I felt rather uncomfortable all evening, especially in the heat, so I was generally out of sorts.  A12 shut homebound, followed 4 articulated lorries along the diversion of small roads for 10 miles, got home about 30 mins later than usual at 01:45.  Maybe I am spoilt as I usually leave gigs feeling fairly euphoric but last night not so much.  Looking forward to our next one is in 3 weeks - a beer, beetroot (?) and blues festival - slightly nearer and slightly earlier.

I struggle with similar issues. When things don't click for some reason. 

Blue

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I think we play quite different types of venue, you and I... "side of the stage" - err, stage?  We're at floor level where the pool table used to be and there's nowhere to swing a cat, never mind hide a fan! :D

:laugh1: I did have to laugh at your comment. Think my earlier post made me out better than i am. 

I do those gigs too usually with the punk band but i just tuck the fan under the legs of the PA cabs in a way not to trip audience members passing by on way to the loo..

Stage to me is where the band play. That's how i convince myself i'm a famous bass player on a worldwide tour of Scottish pubs. :drinks:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

There's just no explaining that Paul ?

I always just think of it as a paid rehearsal and enjoy it just for what it is but it can be difficult to get into that frame of mind.

Been there, done that stinky poo doesn't help either but look on the bright side..............the next gig should be better. :drinks:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Some folk, eh?

As for the G&L Tribute, well I can't speak for all of them, but my one has greatly exceeded all expectations I can reasonably have of a £350 bass.  I bought it with the intention of changing the pickup to a split MFD so as to create a sorta SB-1, but the stock pickup is actually great sounding and I ended up leaving it the heck alone.  At £350, I'd normally expect iffy hardware, but the bridge is the same unit as found on the USA models, and the tuners are tight with none of the play and general vagueness you usually get at this price point.  I've been delighted with mine.  Finish is flawless, fretwork is good.  The only thing I think I will change is the pickguard - it's been two years now and I'm still not loving the tort.

My primary,  1993 USA G&L ASAT bass.

Blue

FB_IMG_1683510785552.jpg

• Like 6