Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

78 Fender Jazz quandary...

matski

Fellow BCers

I am seeking advice from all you Jazz bass buffs out there. I have a chance to buy an all original 78 USA Jazz, but am wondering what a fair price for it would be.

Pros: it has a good straight maple neck with mother of pearl (I think) block inlays, all the electronics are original and work perfectly, and it plays well.

Cons: it's missing the ashtrays (not a big problem, admittedly) but the major sticking point is that it has been badly refinished: at some point in it's history some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to paint it black with what looks like aerosol car spray paint.

So what do you guys reckon it's value to be? The seller is looking for the equivalent of 1250 pounds. What would you be prepared to pay?

I wouldn't pay that in the UK, but it may be different where you are.

At £1250 plus, say, £250 for a reasonable solid colour re-fin you have a re-finned 1978 that has COST you £1500. An all-original 1978 isn't going to cost a lot more than that, and would be WORTH a lot more than a re-finned one.

And I might be way light on the cost of an acceptable re-fin. If you want a 3TS in nitro then £250 wouldn't cover it in the UK. Again, you may well find it's cheaper in Poland, and there are some seriously good luthiers there.

Also worth asking why the bass was sprayed. Could be the then owner's taste, could be there's something to hide. You wouldn't want to strip the black paint off and find Polyfilla everywhere.

Finally, what does it weigh? A 1978 Jazz might be horribly heavy.

Given that a refinish is generally seen as 'half off', would you see yourself paying £2500 for an all original '78?......uhhhhhh no!
I'd be looking to pay £800-£900 TOPS without covers and original case, and thats with a good refinish, if it's something that needs to be redone, I'd be taking that off the price too!!
But then I'm a picky bugger lol

Si

[quote name='matski' post='761524' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:15 AM']And yes it is a 3-bolt neck jobbie.[/quote]

Look at the neck pocket and see if it is a good tight fit or too large with gaps around. There were faults with the neck tilt on some of these. Occasionally the threaded disc was punched crooked and they would (imprecisely) enlarge the neck pocket with a hand router so the neck would fit. Adjusting the tilt will make the neck move sideways, the Fender reps would yank them back when the store owners weren't looking apparently.

Look at the string alignment with the fingerboard, is it true? Ask them to adjust the neck tilt for you. Check the string alignment again, has the neck moved sideways? If it has you should probably leave it alone. There was a perfect example of this in the For Sale section, you could see it in the photos taken before and after a tilt adjustment had been made. But diplomacy prevented me pointing it out, and still prevents me from saying which thread.

[quote name='matski' post='761037' date='Mar 1 2010, 06:39 PM']Pros: it has a good straight maple neck with mother of pearl (I think) block inlays....................[/quote]

'78 Fender? More likely to be Mother of Toilet Seat than mother of pearl.

The price you quote sounds close to top money, so I would expect one to be in a good condition.
The paint job would kill the deal for me.... if I ever could have been interested in this type of Jazz...but that is beside the point.
It seems to me that this is a 'vintage' price for vintages sake....

Not worth the value for me.

I wouldn't - there's no point. There are lots of 70's USA Fenders around. You have no need to buy a refin. I have a '78 fretless P in immaculate condition - all original and I can't sell it for £1000. The prices you see in guitar shops are hugely inflated IMHO. They just aren't worth it. I would rather buy a 1982-1985 Fender Jazz MIJ, which has much greater potential for increase in value and they are much better basses IMHO. I also have a '76 P, which is a dog, but i'll never sell it.

So just don't.

Davo