Why become a member? ×

This Is It

Pete Academy

i was dissapointed, felt every inch the cobbled together cash in i feared it would be...still i paid my £9 so, i guess more fool me.
Some brilliant playing on there, as for the perma slap, there is a dvd of a show from the 'dangerous' tour and the guy slaps everyhing!!!

Oh well, i'm off to listen to 'off the wall'.

[quote name='Doddy' post='760139' date='Feb 28 2010, 08:52 PM']I think it's a great dvd.
The only thing that I don't lie is Alex Al's popped note in the
beat it riff-it doesn't work for me. Otherwise he plays great,as
does the whole band.

Oh yeah......... Orianthi is hot.[/quote]

Agreed on both counts. :)

Need to watch it again, just for the great musicianship. (But also for 'Kenny it's like a fist in my ear, L-O-V-E to all but it really hurts' and 'I'm gonna let it sizzle'.)

The synth bass in particular sounds amazing - the fills in Jam almost caused me to wee.

Edited by Huwberry

Yeh I thought the drummer was crap (better than me but not really "feeling it").

I had a problem with the sub level being too high. I don't know if that was just my system...? It was entertaining but I really wanted to skip some songs, which I guess you can do if you pay for the DVD.

No way is Jonathan 'Sugarfoot' Moffett crap. The guy has got a major groove going on-that's why with the
exception of a couple of tours which Ricky Lawson did-he's been touring with MJ since the Jacksons 'Destiny'
tour.

[quote name='Doddy' post='760910' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:38 PM']No way is Jonathan 'Sugarfoot' Moffett crap.[/quote]

OK, the word "crap" is going too far, but it seemed like he just didn't get it at all. It's quite hard to explain my opinion without watching through it again, which would take a while (I watched it months ago).

Having said that, it's the first of MJs live performances i've ever seen, so maybe he's the best drummer MJ's ever had.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='760921' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:44 PM']OK, the word "crap" is going too far, but it seemed like he just didn't get it at all.[/quote]

Moffett totally gets it. You don't get gigs like that if you don't.

[quote name='Doddy' post='760928' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:50 PM']Moffett totally gets it. You don't get gigs like that if you don't.[/quote]

I just had a quick read on the net. It seems like he had a lot of history with MJ and the Jacksons?

I'm not saying the guy's a crap drummer (although that is how I worded my opinion) i'm just saying I personally don't like the drumming on the majority of the songs on "This is it". Whether or not someone "get's it" is obviously subjective. Like I said i'd have to watch it again to articulate my opinion better, it's just the only reason I watched the damn film was because I was hoping for some sort of mind-blowingly groovy rythm section and I was a bit dissapointed.

MJ's surprisingly energetic performance more than made up for that though.

[quote name='Doddy' post='760139' date='Feb 28 2010, 08:52 PM']Oh yeah......... Orianthi is hot.[/quote]

initially I was thinking 'Jennifer Batten has aged well'.

doh :)

IMO it could have been so much more. It looks like the deliberate cash-in that it is, rather than a fitting tribute.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='760933' date='Mar 1 2010, 06:55 PM']I just had a quick read on the net. It seems like he had a lot of history with MJ and the Jacksons?

I'm not saying the guy's a crap drummer (although that is how I worded my opinion) i'm just saying I personally don't like the drumming on the majority of the songs on "This is it". Whether or not someone "get's it" is obviously subjective. Like I said i'd have to watch it again to articulate my opinion better, it's just the only reason I watched the damn film was because I was hoping for some sort of mind-blowingly groovy rythm section and I was a bit dissapointed.

MJ's surprisingly energetic performance more than made up for that though.[/quote]

+1 for cheddatom's words.

It cool with drummer, he grooves and stuff, but his touch didn't work for me, esp the left hand (snare drum), if you want it detailed..

In other words, he seems to 'hit those things as strong as he can', but, for MJ's music and such, what I would would like from drummer, would be a [i]delicate [/i]touch, if it makes sense..

He must have taken the title 'Beat it' a bit too seriously, didn't he.. :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='cheddatom' post='760933' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:55 PM']I just had a quick read on the net. It seems like he had a lot of history with MJ and the Jacksons?

MJ's surprisingly energetic performance more than made up for that though.[/quote]
I'm all for people having an opinion, but you a so blatantly wrong in this case it's
crazy.
The band is majorly tight, and just ace.

[quote name='Faithless' post='760889' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:25 PM']Just watched that 'Meet the band' bit..

It's all cool, Alex, bass, the girl and stuff, but I particularly disliked drummer - from those few moments of him playing it felt that his touch was just too heavy for this kinda thing..[/quote]

I have to disagree- he has been around far too long to not know what the job requires. MJ would have pulled him up for sure- he was quick to criticise the synth bassline in the opening number for not having the required funk.

A fascinating film- not what I expected at all.

It dispels the myth that Jacko wasn't really ready to do the gig. Looks like a massive amount of pre-production work had already gone into the show.

Whatever meds were supporting him, he obviously still has it. Despite the accusations and madness, he was still one the best entertainers on the planet.

And those female dancers... :)

I'm in the pro-Moffett camp. I think he's perfect for Jacko.

Oh and:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='760938' date='Mar 1 2010, 05:00 PM']initially I was thinking 'Jennifer Batten has aged well'.

doh :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: Thought exactly the same when the trailer came out. Got shot down when I mentioned it to my friends.

Watched this last night and was ready to comepletely hate it, but it was great! Jaco was on it!! It was so good I might watch it again tonight. Regardless of anything else, you just can't get away from how good the music is, expecially with that band. Would have been an amazing show...